My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Tom B. Contributing Member • Posts: 928
My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!

I picked up a confirmed new D7100 from Best Buy in Taylor Michigan a few days ago. I'm coming from a D7000 so quite use to the menu and setting it up. Today I ran (6) lenses through calibration and all did quite well. My 17-55 and 80-400(old style) needed no fine adjustments at all! My other 4 lenses needed minor adjustments of +/-5 or less. While I was set up on the tripod and shooting the calibration scale I thought I would check for left, right and center focus. I'm happy to report all three are spot on. Now that I have all this out of the way I'm going to start enjoying my new camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +11 more
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
billinvegas
billinvegas Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!

Q:

does the 7100 have a both the wide / telephoto MFA adjustments?

Or only the single?

billinvegas's gear list:billinvegas's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +17 more
Tom B. OP Contributing Member • Posts: 928

billinvegas wrote:

Q:

Or only the single?

Good point, and I'm not sure but I think its only single. Funny you bring this up. I just now went out on my deck and shot the first few pictures with my D7100 and 12-24 Nikon. I shot at 12, brought it in and the whole picture looked a little out of focus/not sharp, I'm not used to seeing this with this lens. I went and took another to make sure I didn't move and still bad. I had only calibrated at 24mm, but now questioning myself if I calibrated correctly. I turned calibration off, retook the photo and its crazy sharp. Now I'm very curious, need to go back and do it again just to see where I went wrong.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Olympus E-M5 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +11 more
David Lal Veteran Member • Posts: 8,695
Sounds good!

Tom B. wrote:

I picked up a confirmed new D7100 from Best Buy in Taylor Michigan a few days ago. I'm coming from a D7000 so quite use to the menu and setting it up. Today I ran (6) lenses through calibration and all did quite well. My 17-55 and 80-400(old style) needed no fine adjustments at all! My other 4 lenses needed minor adjustments of +/-5 or less. While I was set up on the tripod and shooting the calibration scale I thought I would check for left, right and center focus. I'm happy to report all three are spot on. Now that I have all this out of the way I'm going to start enjoying my new camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Mind you, according to some buffoons here you have to " ... stay away from this forum and get out there & shoot shoot shoot" [sic]. Don't bother testing or setting up.

Enjoy the new camera.

David

Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,610
Re: Sounds good!

David Lal wrote:

Tom B. wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tom

Mind you, according to some buffoons here you have to " ... stay away from this forum and get out there & shoot shoot shoot" [sic]. Don't bother testing or setting up.

Enjoy the new camera.

David

LOL that's probably true too!

Tom B. wrote:

billinvegas wrote:

Q:

Or only the single?

Good point, and I'm not sure but I think its only single. Funny you bring this up. I just now went out on my deck and shot the first few pictures with my D7100 and 12-24 Nikon. I shot at 12, brought it in and the whole picture looked a little out of focus/not sharp, I'm not used to seeing this with this lens. I went and took another to make sure I didn't move and still bad. I had only calibrated at 24mm, but now questioning myself if I calibrated correctly. I turned calibration off, retook the photo and its crazy sharp. Now I'm very curious, need to go back and do it again just to see where I went wrong.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Well, good news is, the 12-24 lens and D7100 need no fine tuning, perfect at "0". I must have done something wrong the first time.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Re: Sounds good!

David Lal wrote:

Tom B. wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tom

Enjoy the new camera.

David

Thank you! There's something to be said about staying away from the forums for awhile.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Tom B. wrote:

Tom B. wrote:

billinvegas wrote:

Q:

Or only the single?

-- hide signature --

Tom

Well, good news is, the 12-24 lens and D7100 need no fine tuning, perfect at "0". I must have done something wrong the first time.

-- hide signature --

Tom

I found out what I did the first time. The recommended distance from lens to chart for SpyderLensCal is 10x the 24mm. I was setting the distance from the focal plane, which was a touch too close, so it wasn't able to get focus at the zero line but didn't know it. I moved the camera back so I was 10 x 24mm from the front of lens and found the lens and camera are perfect at "0" calibration.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Pap38
Pap38 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,756

Interesting! Glad to hear most everything is ”in tune”.

The local Best Buy hasn’t received a single D7100 as of today. Still trying to push the D7000 stock. Maybe they should consider dropping the price on the D7000 another $200.00 if they intend to sell them. Presently the difference of $300.00 under the D7001 isn’t going to have much effect.

Just noticed you are having a question regarding 12-24 focus. Hope you have it worked out.

Pap

Pap38's gear list:Pap38's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 Nikon D60 Nikon D5100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads