Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,867
[jalywol] can you post some G5 vs GH3 photo to illustrate your points

jalywol wrote:

Kind of hard for me to believe there would be that much of difference between G5 vs GH3 in high iso. AFAIK, both use the new venus cpu and the same or similar noise reduction algorithm.  Can you post some side by side photo for comparison?

Seeing is believing

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))

Sergey Borachev wrote:

It is good to hear your experience and I hope it is helpful to those bargain hunters who are still undecided to consider more carefully, especially those who already have a better camera seeking another body or those who are likely to be exposed to better equipment or become more serious in this hobby.

I generally agree, Sergey. OTOH, sometimes the "need" is now, so I picked up a GX1 for $275. Unlike my GH3 I'm willing to stuff it in my carry-on bag with a few smaller lenses (14-45, 20, 9-18) for shorter trips when I do carry on and don't what to rough-house my GH3, 12-35 & 35-100. At that price a fair plan, and the GX1 seems to have better jpeg colors than my recently departed GH2.

With a (volunteer) business trip to San Francisco planned May 1-4, "seemed like a good idea at the time". But it turns out I will detour through the hospital for some heart surgery and miss that particular meeting. Even so, $275 is not a ridiculous sum to invest in making my lens kit usable in more situations. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the GX1, though I'll not use it with my 100-300 lens unless something takes the GH3 out of action.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,064

All the best with your detour through the hospital!

F.

Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,223
Re: [jalywol] can you post some G5 vs GH3 photo to illustrate your points

007peter wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Kind of hard for me to believe there would be that much of difference between G5 vs GH3 in high iso. AFAIK, both use the new venus cpu and the same or similar noise reduction algorithm.  Can you post some side by side photo for comparison?

Seeing is believing

They are completely different sensors - the G5 is a tweaked GH2 sensor, the GH3 is new and as good as the OM-D.  I have owned a G5 for a while before I got a GH3 - the latter is definitely better in terms of both DR and high ISO

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
Grimm Forum Member • Posts: 71

jalywol wrote:

Grimm wrote:

I'm surprised you have trouble with the grip.  Maybe big hands?  I have no trouble at all gripping the camera while operating the wheel.  I have found it a bit too easy to push it by mistake though if I get too quick with it.

No, no; no trouble with the G5 grip at all (the GH3 grip is a bit wide for my small hands).  What I have trouble with on the G5 is feeling like the camera is securely held by the base of my thumb in back and my fingers in front when I move the top of my thumb to adjust the click wheel.  I just could not get leverage to do it without pushing it in at the same time, no matter how I shifted my hand around.  I think my very small hands may make it more difficult for me to get the right position to turn the wheel and hold the camera firmly. (And, as I said, I might have also gotten kind of a sticky wheel; it really took a bit of force to turn it (it was not smooth, and seemed to catch when I turned it in one direction more than the other).

-J

I am a guy, but have small hands also.  I don't have an issue with holding the camera while using the dial. What I do is press the bottom rear of the camera with the pad of my hand at the base of the thumb.

Grimm's gear list:Grimm's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads