Does M4/3 or DSLR produce higher quality photo's

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
MrScorpio
MrScorpio Senior Member • Posts: 1,413
I shoot both, and...

I use my Canon 6D when I need optimum IQ and shallow DOF or extreme low ligh capability.

But FF for travel? In most cases no.

And in reality the difference between the 6D and the OMD is so small that it is my own skills that limits me, not the gear.

Ultimate IQ, go FF. Ultimate portability, go omd.

OMD vs 7100? OMD wins easily!! Hands down IMO.

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
ajamils1
ajamils1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,809
Re: I shoot both, and...

MrScorpio wrote:

Is that just a blanket statement or do you have any tests to prove it?

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +1 more
zxaar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,214

ajamils1 wrote:

MrScorpio wrote:

just a blanket statement. Another blanket is here

MrScorpio wrote:

"Ultimate portability, go omd."

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,376
Re: Does M4/3 or DSLR produce higher quality photo's

I think when it comes to the new Nikon APS-C DSLRs like the D7100 and for example their new Coolpix A compact, there are a number of factors that make images from them look good.  First, as mentioned above, Nikon has removed the OLPF (Optical Low-Pass Filter) so sharpness, and rendering of fine detail is quite good.  Nikon also knows a thing or two about optics, and some of many of their lenses are first rate.  Certainly m43 has some outstanding lenses, but the more slightly more shallow DOF of APS-C can really makes subject that are in sharp focus stand out.

Another camera without an OLPF is the Coolpix A.  Have a look at the DPR comparison tool or Richard Butler's Coolpix A Coolpix A sample gallery, and is seems clear that the combination of the wonderful Sony 16 mp Exmor sensor with no OLPF, and the Nikkor lens are paying dividends with regard to resolution.

Second, cameras like the D5200, D7000, D7100 and Coolpix A have outstanding color depth.  I've noticed in my own images the better color depth say between the GH2 or GX1 images vs the D7000 or D800.  The Nikon images just look richer. Clearly the newer m43 sensor have improved color depth, but the Nikon APS-C and FF cameras in all class leading in this area.  With RAWs with my Nikon 1 or m43 cameras, I always felt the need to boost saturation a bit.  With my Nikon DSLRs colors usually look terrific straight OOC.

On the other hand, the newest 3 Olympus m43 cameras, and the GH3 are no slouches at all for sharpness, DR and color depth.  So certainly any of the cameras with produces excellent image quality.  Since many elements that define IQ like color rendering are subjective it's hard to say which is better.  I have my preference, but another user will have theirs.

Much about Nikon here, and I agree that the latest Nikon DX cameras are excellent. My son just bought himself a D7000, which you can get cheaply now when the 7100 is out, and I think it has a little better IQ than my E-M5. 7100 should be even better.

But regarding Canon APS models, and according to DxO, no Canon APS today has a better sensor than the best m4/3. Including 7D and 60D. I came from Canon APS to m4/3 and for me this meant better colours and lower noise. Not saying my Canon was bad at all, but the E-M5 is better.

So it also depends on which camera brand you compare with.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Dave Sanders Senior Member • Posts: 2,542
Good photographers produce higher quality photos...

...and the limitations of whatever camera system you choose are likely to be inconsequential compared to your vision, ability and technique. Pick the one that feels like it's gonna work the best for you and your individual needs.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

cheeky chooky Junior Member • Posts: 43

raptureall wrote:

I've done a lot of research concerning Micro 4/3.  I thought of getting the Panasonic GH3, but am not satisfied with the quality of photo against say the new Nikon d7100.  So does a DSLR produce better quality photo's, or have I not seen good photo's from a Micro 4/3?  I really like the Micro 4/3, but my main interest is in the quality of the photo.  Thanks for your help!

Yes.  The dslr is superior.  It is smoother with lower noise and superior tonal transitions.

-- hide signature --

i love you

MrScorpio
MrScorpio Senior Member • Posts: 1,413

zxaar wrote:

ajamils1 wrote:

MrScorpio wrote:

MrScorpio wrote:

The point is: each system has its own strengths... IQ, of course FF. Portability, of course omd...

Having said thad, there is something making me bringing the OMD all the time. But that is not logic, just a feeling...

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
zxaar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,214

MrScorpio wrote:

zxaar wrote:

ajamils1 wrote:

MrScorpio wrote:

MrScorpio wrote:

The point is: each system has its own strengths... IQ, of course FF. Portability, of course omd...

Sorry nope. Portability => Pentax Q.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#190,289

Having said thad, there is something making me bringing the OMD all the time. But that is not logic, just a feeling...

There is also something that makes me dislike OMD and can't get myself to even touch it once.

Anyway OMD is not ultimate portable camera in ILC land. It is okey if you prefer it, just do not pass opinion as fact.

-- hide signature --

sigala1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818
Go to DxOMark

raptureall wrote:

I've done a lot of research concerning Micro 4/3.  I thought of getting the Panasonic GH3, but am not satisfied with the quality of photo against say the new Nikon d7100.  So does a DSLR produce better quality photo's, or have I not seen good photo's from a Micro 4/3?  I really like the Micro 4/3, but my main interest is in the quality of the photo.  Thanks for your help!

I recommend using the sensor ratings at DxOMark to evaluate image sensor qualities.

OP raptureall Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: I own both, and I have kids (assuming you do too)

Thanks Sean, that helped a lot

raptureall's gear list:raptureall's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR
danijel973
danijel973 Contributing Member • Posts: 851

The differences in image quality between a dSLR and a m43 camera are nonexistent, if they use the same sensor. The fact that a camera uses an optical vs. electronic viewfinder doesn't show on images.

Image quality is so high across the board today, it can be safely assumed as a given for any camera system. This means you need to chose a camera based on how it feels and works for you.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha a7 II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
SuvoMitra Contributing Member • Posts: 844

MrScorpio wrote:

OMD vs 7100? OMD wins easily!! Hands down IMO

This is your opinion, so it can't be disputed as such, but not sure why the answer is so easy. As a mFT user familiar with the OMD (and a D7100 user), I think the OMD offers an entirely different proposition to the D7100. The D7100 has a superb focus-tracking system spanning the whole frame (which the OMD doesn't). It has a high-resolution sensor that includes a crop mode at the same resolution as the OMD (and likely similar performance to the OMD sensor). It provides a large optical viewfinder and various handling features that only cameras of hand-filling size can offer. The OMD is smaller and lighter and would enter into a choice with the d7100 only if size and weight were so important that virtually all other considerations had to be devalued in comparison.

The OMD wins easily only for users who have no need for the D7100's selling points.

-- hide signature --
FredB Contributing Member • Posts: 828

D7100 isn't FF though.

FredB's gear list:FredB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 1,095

I have to say that I got the Canon 6D to my Olympus OMD, and after few weeks of testing it, I have to say that both have advantages and disadvantages. As you know the biggest advantage of the em5 is its size, not only this the lenses are tiny compared to FF lenses. After having taken around 1000 shots with my 6D, I have to admit that in most situations you would be hard pressed to see a difference. I personally prefer Canon colors but that is subjective, as far as handling goes, if you do not mind the size, the handling of a dslr is better, since the omd has small weird buttons. To sum it up, the ISO performance and shallow depth of field on the 6d are better than my OMD but to be honest, I have to admit that taking photos with a mirror-less camera is much easier than a dslr for the simple fact that it gives you exposure feedback instantaneously. I have to say, if you do not mind the size of your camera then go with the d7100 but if you are considering mft, I would rather go with the  OMD, if video is not a priority, the camera is great and much more handier than the GH3.

eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 12,832

panolympus wrote:

. . . .  But there are some sacrifices to be made in quality going to m4/3. Mainly in terms of depth of field and resolution.

Resolution of the lenses or the sensors? Asking because the spatial resolution of a 16MP m43 sensor is surely higher than that of a larger format with the same MP?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ted http://kronometric.org
SD9, SD10, EF-500, GH1.

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +16 more
Makinations
Makinations Veteran Member • Posts: 5,688

zxaar wrote:

MrScorpio wrote:

zxaar wrote:

ajamils1 wrote:

MrScorpio wrote:

MrScorpio wrote:

Sorry nope. Portability => Pentax Q.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#190,289

We should probably restrict this to a discussion of things people would actually buy.

There is also something that makes me dislike OMD and can't get myself to even touch it once.

Anyway OMD is not ultimate portable camera in ILC land. It is okey if you prefer it, just do not pass opinion as fact.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

This never would have happened if Tedolf was still alive.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smrlabs/

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
ultimitsu
ultimitsu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650
Re: Better photographers produce higher quality photos (NT)

David Kieltyka wrote:

Better photographers produce higher quality photos

Are you telling OP to get someone else to take his pictures?

Richie S Contributing Member • Posts: 503

If the size and weight of the system doesn't bother you then get a dslr, preferably full frame. They will deliver better images in certain situations involving tough focus or tough lighting. all systems involve compromise and a balance between cost, size and weight, features, system strength. For me m43 has the image quality that is sufficient for the vast majority of situations I find myself in - especially with the power of modern software to clean up my blunders.

For most, including me, the quality and cost of the gear, at least between m43 and dslr, is not the deciding factor in how the shot comes out.

A good line for me is the tripod. If I'm prepared to lug a tripod along to take a photo, then the dslr is probably the best choice. If I'm not then the OMD wins the day.

If you are someone who doesn't make extensive use of a tripod, or who doesn't shoot in situations requiring the ability to focus on moving subjects, then m43 is "good enough".

Geo Wharton Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F +35 more
Mahmoud Mousef Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
nikon

raptureall wrote:

Never tried the GH3 or 7100.

But tried various Micro Four Thirds, Four Thirds and Nikon bodies.

Through the years I've always found a Nikon DSLR of similar vintage the better choice for night work and higher ISOs. Simple as that. Plus the optical viewfinder the only way to go for night work.

I have tried the Nikon D50 and Nikon D5100, Panasonic DMC-G2, Panasonic DMC-G3, Panasonic DMC-GX1, Olympus (Four Thirds) E-520, etc.

The Micro Four Thirds bodies I've tried are often "good enough" for many tasks, but not if near-darkness / higher ISOs / shadow detail / less noise in near-darkness is your main priority.

But I haven't tried the 7100 and/or GH3, but I'd be surprised if Nikon doesn't have the edge.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads