Just trying out the 40mm 2.8 STM

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Photos
sacentre Senior Member • Posts: 1,877
Just trying out the 40mm 2.8 STM

Just got a 40mm Pankake lens today and have to say I'm very pleased with it. I took a few random shots around Singapore and the lens seems to be very sharp at 100%. These are heavily cropped from the original RAW files. For a $200/- lens, this seems to raise the bar in terms of value for money.

I can't say I fully comprehend the rationale behind Canon's decision to introduce a lens of this focal length when there are better 35mm lenses already in the line up but at this price, who cares?

If, like me, you get a bit tired of lugging around heavy zooms and ocassionaly just want a single, fast and ultra lightweight prime, this is a no brainer.

sacentre's gear list:sacentre's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
OP sacentre Senior Member • Posts: 1,877
Sorry, I meant to say 40mm in the subject line (nt)
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,295
Re: Sorry, I meant to say 40mm in the subject line (nt)

There's a similar lens for MFT, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and it's dead sharp and fab. I only use this light system for cycletouring. Having one focal length makes you compose and use the most important lens of all, your legs

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS-1D X Sony Alpha NEX-7 +28 more
Johnyguy Regular Member • Posts: 203
Re: Just trying out the 400mm 2.8 STM

sacentre wrote:

Just got a 40mm Pankake lens today and have to say I'm very pleased with it. I took a few random shots around Singapore and the lens seems to be very sharp at 100%. These are heavily cropped from the original RAW files. For a $200/- lens, this seems to raise the bar in terms of value for money.

I can't say I fully comprehend the rationale behind Canon's decision to introduce a lens of this focal length when there are better 35mm lenses already in the line up but at this price, who cares?

If, like me, you get a bit tired of lugging around heavy zooms and ocassionaly just want a single, fast and ultra lightweight prime, this is a no brainer.

Looks pretty sharp to me!

AndyMulhearn Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

There's a similar lens for MFT, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and it's dead sharp and fab. I only use this light system for cycletouring. Having one focal length makes you compose and use the most important lens of all, your legs

I have the 20mm f1.7 with my GX1. My favourite lens on that system. Sharp enough that I have to be careful not to cut myself.

-- hide signature --

Andy

AndyMulhearn's gear list:AndyMulhearn's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +7 more
irm Senior Member • Posts: 2,999

Detail looks excellent in the screen view.

Why are all your shot done at -0.33ev?

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +13 more
MOD schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768

Fixed.

Oops! Didn't realise they were. Must have accidentally set that while messing around with the camera.

Thanks.

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 16,888
Re: Just trying out the 40mm 2.8 STM

sacentre wrote:

Oops! Didn't realise they were. Must have accidentally set that while messing around with the camera.

Thanks.

Happens to me occasionally. Especially when switiching from Manual to AvĀ  or Tv whilst doing the same with my Nikon kit that I use at the same time. I bracket every shot so I usually obtain a shot that overcomes the mistake.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 +8 more

many thanks.

Trevor

schmegg wrote:

Fixed.

rowlandw Regular Member • Posts: 386

It turns my 6D into a large point-and-shoot - very convenient and unobtrusive.

rowlandw's gear list:rowlandw's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Olympus C-3020 Zoom +5 more
Andreas_F Regular Member • Posts: 493

I love this little gem. It turns even the 5diii into a small package.

Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,169
I just got one of these little things

sacentre wrote:

It's thin and light for sure.

I agree with the sharp comment. It is sharp wide open, and has very pleasant bokeh when shooting in close.

I did not read the rest of the comments, so if this has been mentioned, my bad. Focus is real slow in poor light, really slow on a 5DMkII. Fortunately, it is quick enough outdoors and in any reasonable about of light. I was a little worried when I first started testing it in my man cave.

I'm hoping it'll work as an in-close cycling sports lens as well as a sorta fast prime. The idea is to replace a 16-35f/2.8 at the 35mm end. I don't think sports is what it was meant for, but I like a good challenge, and if it works I think it's sharper than my 16-35f/2.8. It's certainly smaller and lighter. Could be nice. Time will tell.

Enjoy

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Spunky8 Contributing Member • Posts: 999

I totally agree.  Great lens.  With 5d iii, a small package.  It's my main lens now.

Spunky8's gear list:Spunky8's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads