>>>Saturday B&W Thread - 4/13/2013>>>

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
in_focus
in_focus Forum Pro • Posts: 18,674
Re: Some street pictures

Fine series, Rick.. you were visiting the "wild" side of the City again(?).. impressive characters the two guys, love the processing, HDR?.. thank you for posting and hosting the thread ..

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: Looks like there might be a spring this year as well...

Beautiful image, Mark.. fine composition, love the processing - a vintage look .. small snowdrop might after all bring the Spring into the country, LOL.. thank you sharing ..

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: x10

Inspiring series, Max.. as I'm very fond of railroads, the first image has captured my eye instantly.. combining all the elements, it was easy to reach a conclusion.. there is man waiting for his (midnight) train .. lovely arty work, mate.. is Lisa on go as well?(just kidding, LOL) .. thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: St. Cross Church.

Fine set, Adsum.. looking at two version, to my liking is the B&W rendition a winner - well spotted and processed, thank you for sharing ..

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: Simplified

Impressive set, Carizi.. love your vantage point and processing, a strong resemblance to lithographic reproduction was created.. art images, thank you for sharing ..

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: Sunlit Spinney.

Fine set, Lee.. comparing to color versions, really like the B&W renditions - especially the shot taken into the light is impressive - the place looks crowded and difficult to pass through, LOL .. well composed, excellent tonal range, love the pronounced contrast - thank you for sharing, mate ..

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: Overlook and harbor

Lovely work, David.. except for compositions is the IR processing very impressive and with the tonal range resembles to a frost covered countryside.. I'm assuming the green has changed to white tones.. simply beautiful, thank you for sharing ..

Kind regards,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,118
Re: Overlook and harbor

in_focus wrote:

I'm assuming the green has changed to white tones..

Live foliage is rendered as bright (white). I was about to explain that it's because photosynthesis emits infrared radiation. But fortunately, I looked it up (wikipedia) just to make sure, and it's true, there is infrared fluorescence, but it not the main reason for the white. Nevertheless, white foliage and dark to black skies. Can be dramatic.

I've wanted to be able to shoot infrared ever since I first saw infrared photos as a kid, but with film it was a major hassle. With minor, relatively inexpensive, surgery to a spare camera, it's quite easy.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X100F Olympus OM-D E-M10
morepix
Re: Some street pictures

Rick,

Ray Sachs confessed a week or three ago that the interesting "flat," high local contrast look in some photos he posted was largely done with the soft contrast adjustment in Nik Silver Efex Pro. These, especially the standing guy in the dungarees, have a similar look. Don't know how you do it, but it's pretty effective.

A few words of explanation of interesting tonal effects in B/W certainly seems worthwhile material for a repeating thread on monochrome photography. For those who are interested, there's a lot more to it than just desaturating color images.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix
Re: Switzerland in a cloudy day.

That's a high-impact, dramatic photo all right. It looks as if it's not monochrome. Or it could be, with strong split toning, blue in the shadows, yellow in the highlights. Comment?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix
Re: x10

The "Fully Wound" photo is a striking collage. For my $$ (either US or Aussie) it would've been even more striking if the lower part of the face had faded considerably away, leaving mainly the "eyes," which seem to encapsulate the "story" of the photo, of someone scanning the distance for something gone missing.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

sightandsounds Forum Member • Posts: 93
Not Spring

Spring is in it's full glory here and it is absolutely beautiful. I wish my pictures reflected it.

Roadside Outhouse - Blenheim, SC

Skin Cancer - Greensboro, NC

Thank you for looking.

-Trent

sightandsounds's gear list:sightandsounds's gear list
Olympus C-2020 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Epson WorkForce 630 +1 more
pierrep
pierrep Senior Member • Posts: 1,403
Don't come to close...

-- hide signature --

Pierre Perrault

morepix
Re: Not Spring

How boring life would be if everything were roses! Both photos have impact. And I suppose the cable stitch in the cheek will become smooth and disappear in a few weeks. I would be glad to have recorded it while I could.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

in_focus
Re: What you lookin' at?

Provocative image, Fred.. forcing the viewer to figure out what is happening at the other side of the fence ..  fine composition and use of perspective, not an easy subject, but well exposed also the tonal range is great.. well spotted and processed, thank you for sharing ..

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: San Antonio, New Mexico

Good image, Mike.. long time since the last train made a stop at this station .. lovely detail of an old train terminal, good details of wooden construction, lots of fine textures.. well spotted and pictured ..

Thanks for sharing,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: Play

Beautiful set, Deepak.. fine compositions, especially like the contrasty (but not overdone)  musicians picture  ..

All the best,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: Pegs on Parade

Beautiful set, Norman.. love the crispness and sharpness of pegs image also slightly reddish/brownish tonality is pleasant to the eye.. wish the background of porthole would be clearer and made the fine glass etching work shine in all the splendor ..

Thank you for sharing,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: Car Show This Afternoon

Amusing capture, Alan.. perfect narrative .. fine composition, tons of detail, good tonal range... thank you for sharing an good laugh ..

All the best,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

in_focus
Re: Switzerland in a cloudy day.

Really dramatic image, Michel.. one of these shots where one stops and starts absorbing the vista.. impressive capture, love the extra touch of toning - making the picture special, thank you for sharing..

Hope the snow has by now melted away also in your neck of the woods  ..

-- hide signature --

Bruno

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads