Does the D7000 grip feel weird to anyone else?

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
bseng Regular Member • Posts: 224
Does the D7000 grip feel weird to anyone else?

There's that bump at the sub-command dial. Then the little recess. And from there all the way down it's almost completely straight. When you grip it in your hand it just feels like there's not much to keep the camera from tipping forward.

Has anyone been able to compare the D7100 and D7000 grips?

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BlueBomberTurbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,389
Re: Does the D7000 grip feel weird to anyone else?

bseng wrote:

There's that bump at the sub-command dial. Then the little recess. And from there all the way down it's almost completely straight. When you grip it in your hand it just feels like there's not much to keep the camera from tipping forward.

When I first picked up my D7100, after 2.5 years of holding a D7000, I felt that the grip was maybe slightly deeper but more angular, with a more noticeable indent at the base where the tips of your fingers go.  It's also a bit contoured where your middle finger sits.  The larger rubber pad in the back for your thumb is very welcome.   Interestingly, I didn't have any issues with the angled sub command dial or its smaller exposed area, which was the one thing I was worried about from the initial pics.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +12 more
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,703

bseng wrote:

Yes.  I found the D7000 grip too squared off and the overall handling a bit top heavy.  The D7100 grip is much more organically shaped, has a larger middle finger ledge for better grip, and is much better rounded off at the lower right corner where it contacts the palm of your hand.  These are subtle changes to be sure, but the camera feels much better balanced in the hand and is much more comfortable to hold by the grip for extended periods, as well as to operate controls with.

A welcome change.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
OP bseng Regular Member • Posts: 224

I've been spending some time, shooting with it. I haven't felt entirely at home with the grip. The squarish nature of the handle is like ergonomics from an earlier time period.

stuntmonkey
stuntmonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,728

bseng wrote:

I've been spending some time, shooting with it. I haven't felt entirely at home with the grip. The squarish nature of the handle is like ergonomics from an earlier time period.

It takes a little getting used to, but it has some practical advantages. The D7000 in your hand doesn't feel as planted as the D300, but once you've got it up to eye level, the overall right hand side of the camera is a good balance between holding the camera and operating the controls. That said, I think the D600 and the D7100 are better.

arthur l Forum Member • Posts: 62

I came from a sony a700, which, for my larger hands, had a much deeper and more comfortable grip...

I use a wrist strap on the 7000 which makes it much easier to hold.

I feel that the 7000 grip is at best adequate. Both Canon  and Sony do it better.

greg606 Junior Member • Posts: 26

In D7100 is so small for my hands. I always feel as if I wat to drop the camera.

Considering D800 where it's much better. (not the only reason ;))

What do you think?

fotolopithecus Senior Member • Posts: 1,699

I presently have a D7000 which I'm almost completely happy with, but the camera does feel a bit cramped in my hands. By comparison I was looking at a D7100 the other day, and it did seem better in this respect. I think for most the ergonomics of D7100 are better.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
FoolyCooly Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484
Grip Texture

The grip on the D7000 is very smooth/slick. The D300s has a sticky soft rubber grip and is much better.

I recently added a MB-D11 to the D7000 and it does help a little bit. Now it feels less likely to slip out of my hands. Regarding ergonomics, I really don't have any complaints other than the mode dial. It needs to lock into place so that I can not be accidentally changed.

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you have with you.

twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,145

I've always found the D7000 grip to be very comfortable.  I don't have big hands and when I use the camera it feels good and stable in my hand.

bravozulu Contributing Member • Posts: 897

+1 to what twamers said. The MB-D11 does make a sort of a 'square' configuration sitting on the camera. But it is a bigger object than the camera alone, laterally and vertical. And so you have more leverage when a big lens is mounted.

For folks with larger hands, the D7000 does feel a bit 'dainty'. As if you you are holding onto it with fingertips.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
stuntmonkey
stuntmonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,728

bravozulu wrote:

+1 to what twamers said. The MB-D11 does make a sort of a 'square' configuration sitting on the camera. But it is a bigger object than the camera alone, laterally and vertical. And so you have more leverage when a big lens is mounted.

For folks with larger hands, the D7000 does feel a bit 'dainty'. As if you you are holding onto it with fingertips.

They could have easily solved that my making the 2nd finger lip on the front and the right edge of the thumb rest more prominent, but for some reason Nikon just feels as though each model has to be slightly different. It's not just because the D300s is more expensive that it's grip is more comfortable, if you scaled the D5100 grip to D7000 size, it would also be better.

DEEWUN Contributing Member • Posts: 620

I have large hands and found the D7100 to be a bit "dainty" for me, so I added the MB-D 15 to it and now it is perfect. It gives the camera more heft and is steadier when I have a telephoto on it. The added advantage is that its weight now gives it more stability on longer exposures.

woodsfortysix
woodsfortysix Regular Member • Posts: 488

I have a grip on my D800, and had a grip on my D7000.

Shot a couple of lacrosse matches today with my D7100.  I was using my Nikon 70-200 and the camera body felt small to me.  I am ordering a grip tonight.

Also, I like the fact that when I want to travel and use something like my 18-200, I can remove the grip and have a more compact kit.  I like this flexibility...

woodsfortysix's gear list:woodsfortysix's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
stevenjames
stevenjames Senior Member • Posts: 1,231

feels good with my Nikon grip.

Steve

-- hide signature --

www.StevenJamesPhotography.com

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads