Lens hood for the 75mm Oly...

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions
Doberman Regular Member • Posts: 385
Lens hood for the 75mm Oly...

Hello all. Just received my 75 Oly. Love the lens so far.

I also ordered the rainbow imaging lens hood. Link on Amazon here:

Rainbowimaging-Lens Hood

Didn't realize, it does not screw on the lens. Ii is attached over the front and tightened by a small screw.

Screw pushes a collar inside, it does not touch the lens barrel.

I will hate if this mechanism scratches the front of the lens. Anyone have used this hood? Any issues scratching? Should I go with a different, possibly screw on model?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Murat

Doberman's gear list:Doberman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 +11 more
James Pilcher Veteran Member • Posts: 9,107
screw-in lens hood

Doberman wrote:

Rainbowimaging-Lens Hood

Didn't realize, it does not screw on the lens. Ii is attached over the front and tightened by a small screw.

I will hate if this mechanism scratches the front of the lens. Anyone have used this hood? Any issues scratching? Should I go with a different, possibly screw on model?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Murat

Hi Murat,

The lens hood for the 12mm f/2 operates the same way. I've had it for well over a year and I have no trouble with it scratching the lens barrel. Be sure, though, not to tighten the screw too much; some folks here have reported twisting the head off the 12mm f/2 screw. Tighten it just enough.

I would strongly consider a screw-in alternative hood for the 75mm f/1.8, if for no other reason, it will operate much more smoothly with a polarizer. You can screw the hood into the polarizer and just rotate the hood.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN-F +8 more
pinnacle Senior Member • Posts: 2,537
Re: Lens hood for the 75mm Oly...

Doberman wrote:

Rainbowimaging-Lens Hood

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Murat

Mine has not scratched the front of the lens (element). I don't care much whether the barrel (if that is what "front" means to you) of the lens gets a little marked up which so far it hasn't. It is as clean as the day I received it from Olympus USA. I do expect a little minor wear on my gear. I use it a lot.

Dan

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

pinnacle's gear list:pinnacle's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Chatokun
Chatokun Regular Member • Posts: 447

Here is mine:

On the lens

Off. Note: Yes, a black mark running along the top. I tried rubbing it with my finger: all gone.

Marks are not really an issue... here is the real issue:

Without longer fingernails, this cap is ridiculously hard to get off.

The stock cap doesn't work with it at all, you should get a pinch cap, 58mm. I'm about to get on myself.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
LMNCT Veteran Member • Posts: 4,815

Get a center pinch replacement lens cap for the lens...or if you plan to keep the shade on full time, get one that fits the opening of the shade.  Center pinch caps are inexpensive and they make so much more sense than the ones which come with lenses.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +24 more
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,002

LMNCT wrote:

Get a center pinch replacement lens cap for the lens...or if you plan to keep the shade on full time, get one that fits the opening of the shade.  Center pinch caps are inexpensive and they make so much more sense than the ones which come with lenses.

The Olympus hood comes with a replacement cap with the center pinch cap.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Regan M Forum Member • Posts: 75

Correct. When you buy the lens hood it comes with a pinch style cap so no issue there.  LOVE this lens.  Starting to think this may be the best I've ever owned..

The Pirates Life for me

Full size if you want to check out how sharp his eye is...

Regan M's gear list:Regan M's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
Chatokun
Chatokun Regular Member • Posts: 447

Gregm61 wrote:

LMNCT wrote:

The Olympus hood comes with a replacement cap with the center pinch cap.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

It may, but both mine and the one the OP was asking about are the much cheaper Rainbow Imaging ones ($33 vs $80) which doesn't come with the center pinch cap. I've ordered a pair already for $7, so I guess in reality it cost me exactly half, and I don't get an Olympus logo... ah well

The screw in one is cheaper, at ~$8, but I wanted the one more similar to the original.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Regan M Forum Member • Posts: 75

Aha missed that.  It looks like a good copy.

Regan M's gear list:Regan M's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads