New camera

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Questions
Walter1 New Member • Posts: 12
New camera

I have a Canon powershot A70 that has died on me. I want to buy a new camera something for use at home nothing expensive can someone give me some suggestions?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
digitalcuriosity Senior Member • Posts: 1,169
Re: New camera

If you have a local BestBuy go and do some checking into their offerings.

I2K4 Contributing Member • Posts: 522

I owned the A80 and loved it before replacing with the S5IS.  I'd say the first things to ask yourself are a) do you like that size, b) do you prefer manual controls, c) do you habitually use the viewfinder and d) do you want more zoom.

If you want that size, use manual settings and the viewfinder, and are happy enough with the telephoto range I think the choice is with the excellent G-series (latest G15, which costs about the same as the A70 did new).  The A1400 is a very inexpensive camera that lacks manual settings and the solid build quality but has the small handful size, eyepiece, AA batteries and is good for casual use.

If your answers to a, b, c and d above are other than "yes", there's a whole lot of choice out there.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +1 more
OP Walter1 New Member • Posts: 12

I2K4 wrote:

I owned the A80 and loved it before replacing with the S5IS.  I'd say the first things to ask yourself are a) do you like that size, b) do you prefer manual controls, c) do you habitually use the viewfinder and d) do you want more zoom.

If you want that size, use manual settings and the viewfinder, and are happy enough with the telephoto range I think the choice is with the excellent G-series (latest G15, which costs about the same as the A70 did new).  The A1400 is a very inexpensive camera that lacks manual settings and the solid build quality but has the small handful size, eyepiece, AA batteries and is good for casual use.

If your answers to a, b, c and d above are other than "yes", there's a whole lot of choice out there.

I don't take a lot of pictures but when I do I would like more Zoom. Can't afford to buy an expensive one. I like the Canon camera's and am used to the view finder but I guess I could learn to do without. Thanks for the imput

I2K4 Contributing Member • Posts: 522

I bought an otherwise pretty good little Ixus discounted last December just to see if I could get used to not having a viewfinder, and find I miss it and won't buy another without.  It's a personal comfort thing.

The SX260HS is a fine small camera with zoom (plenty of discussion here), that will be discounted when the newer model comes out this spring.  I suggest trying it out from a vendor with an easy return policy.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +1 more

I2K4 wrote:

I bought an otherwise pretty good little Ixus discounted last December just to see if I could get used to not having a viewfinder, and find I miss it and won't buy another without.  It's a personal comfort thing.

The SX260HS is a fine small camera with zoom (plenty of discussion here), that will be discounted when the newer model comes out this spring.  I suggest trying it out from a vendor with an easy return policy.

That looks like a nice camera, but can't afford that at this time I'm on soc. sec. and have to watch the cash. Thanks

coody
coody Senior Member • Posts: 1,830
You can try Sony WX150 under $150 right now as discounted from $200 +.

You can try Sony WX150 under $150 right now as discounted from $200 +.

milliemann New Member • Posts: 15

The SX260 is selling for about $215 on Amazon right now.  Or you might want to take a look at the SX160 with 16x zoom that is selling for $149 on Amazon.

milliemann's gear list:milliemann's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +7 more

milliemann wrote:

The SX260 is selling for about $215 on Amazon right now.  Or you might want to take a look at the SX160 with 16x zoom that is selling for $149 on Amazon.

Thank's

saycheese
saycheese Contributing Member • Posts: 589

Olympus XZ-1

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
Frodsham Panoramic

saycheese's gear list:saycheese's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +1 more

saycheese wrote:

Olympus XZ-1

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
Frodsham Panoramic

Thanks, that's a little more then I can afford at this time. Leaning toward the Canon A 4000

bellcurve New Member • Posts: 24
Re: You can try Sony WX150 under $150 right now as discounted from $200 +.

coody wrote:

You can try Sony WX150 under $150 right now as discounted from $200 +.

I'd second this recommendation, at least as something to consider.  It has a 10x zoom, which might be enough for you, and dead on metering and color rendition (it captured sky colors more accurately than all of the Cannon P&S cameras I've had).

It's definitely not a camera for "pixel-peepers".  But the OOC jpgs are sharp and have a lot of "pop", and are generally usable up ISO 3200, sometimes ISO 6400.  It also has some interesting photo modes like Illustration and Water Color that can be applied to a standard picture after the fact.  Very compact, and nice movies too.  $130 direct from Sony... http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Cyber-shot-Camera/en/p/DSCWX150/L/BSTOCK

Just one more point on affordability...last month if you bought the camera direct from that website there was an offer to apply for and instantly be granted a Sony (actually CapitalOne) credit card, and with your first use of the card, which this would be, they'd give you a $100 credit on the card.  So the net cost of the camera was less $40, after tax.  A LOT of camera for short money.

Check to see if that's still on offer.

bellcurve wrote:

Just one more point on affordability...last month if you bought the camera direct from that website there was an offer to apply for and instantly be granted a Sony (actually CapitalOne) credit card, and with your first use of the card, which this would be, they'd give you a $100 credit on the card.  So the net cost of the camera was less $40, after tax.  A LOT of camera for short money.

Check to see if that's still on offer.

Wow that would be a great deal, I''ll check it out Thanks

Looks like all 4 colors of the WX150 are still available with the $100 credit.  The offer is a couple lines under the "Add to Cart" button.  Apply first then and when approved they send you the info to use to buy the camera.

You can try the camera for 30 days and return for full refund (pay return shipping) if you don't like it.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCatalog?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&Ntk=&Ntx=&Ntt=&N=4294961697&searchType=outlet&contentType=PRODUCT&No=15&Nao=15&rpp=15&Ns=Prod.Price.SS%7C0&Nf=&productFilter=PRODUCT_ONLY&minPrice=&maxPrice=&navigation=NULL

coody
coody Senior Member • Posts: 1,830
Plus, the Sony WX150 has a good rating from lot of sites. It’s good for the budget buyer

The Sony WX150 has a good rating from lot of sites. It’s good for the budget buyer.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads