READ THE MANUAL!!!

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions
GaryMiller1951 Contributing Member • Posts: 558
Re: READ THE MANUAL!!!

Sonyshine wrote:

Quite!

There are other search engines too.

Can I use google to find out more about them? I have been finding I don't always like the answers Google gives me so maybe some of the others would agree with me more often.

jonzalez Regular Member • Posts: 243

As far as I've noticed, I'ts not just a male macho thing. At least here in Finland most of the blond (and also brunette) females are not reading the manual at all and when ever they stumble with the functions of the equipment they are trying to use, they come to ask for help from us, Male Machos.

And that's the latest when we have to start the read the (F) manual! 

jonzalez's gear list:jonzalez's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a7 III Sony 28-75mm F2.8 SAM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +6 more
jwkphoto
jwkphoto Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: Manual ? No

Graham Best wrote:

jwkphoto wrote:

By reading Gary's book I discovered 'focus peaking' and now I can easily focus the lens plus with a much larger viewfinder. Not only that, with the A57, I can use all the different exposure modes where before I it would only work in manual exposure mode.

Jerry

I'm happy you're happy, but one has no need to "read Gary's book" to use focus peaking. I've never read a page from one of his books, but I was "up to speed" with focus peaking within 15 minutes of unpacking my a77.

Likewise, semi-auto exposure modes have been around for years. There are many free resources available on the web, with detailed explanations, to be had with a simple search (here's just one example http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/hardware/camera-exposure-modes-explained/).

I don't begrudge anyone making a buck, but I'll bet most people would be better served reading the factory manual and engaging in a little self experimentation with their camera. If one wants additional help with photographic principles, read something specific to the subject (e.g., lighting, exposure, or composition).

Sounds like you did not read my remarks about about the flash not working in wireless mode with the 57 which I would not have known about if it had not been reading the ebook. Yes, I could have made a search for it but I've read many searches that were far off. Also, with the Minolta 58mm lens and my two Lensbaby lenses and my homemade dollar store lenses, I can now photograph in other modes other than manual exposure.  My Sony A100 and A300 would not let me do that. I had never heard of focus peaking before and with it I can see the best focus points much better. I read something in the very poorly printed, cheap quality paper Sony manual with very small type and very small gray and mush illustrations but for me it didn't make much sense. It was worth the $23 for Gary's book with large color samples and very good descriptions for not only the peaking but for many other operations such as setting up the menu and function operations. I've read a few dozen camera manuals in my long lifetime beginning in 1963 with my Minolta SR7 and the one for my A57 is by far the worst I've ever seen. Even the Russian Kiev 88 manuals were better printed and easier to understand.

Jerry

jwkphoto's gear list:jwkphoto's gear list
Sony a6000
jwkphoto
jwkphoto Forum Member • Posts: 72

jonzalez wrote:

As far as I've noticed, I'ts not just a male macho thing. At least here in Finland most of the blond (and also brunette) females are not reading the manual at all and when ever they stumble with the functions of the equipment they are trying to use, they come to ask for help from us, Male Machos.

And that's the latest when we have to start the read the (F) manual! 

For me, I'm a very right brained person that has a difficult time reading very poorly written manuals, especially when they were written by people who's major language may be something other than English. I've tried to learn other languages in school and failed at it.  I'm a very good example of the kind of person you do not want to write them!

Jerry

jwkphoto's gear list:jwkphoto's gear list
Sony a6000
mustafa604 Regular Member • Posts: 342

Sonyshine wrote:

Many questions on here and on other forums can be simply answered by READING THE MANUAL!!

Why are people so dumb?

Of course I include myself in the 'dumb' category because I never read the manual either....

Is it a 'macho male' thing?  

if they made videos on how to do stuff instead of manual would be awesome.

digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
Bing, dogpile, Yahoo, altivista, lycos or MSN for a few (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
they do its called you tube, LOL! (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Rovers
Rovers Regular Member • Posts: 243
Re: READ THE MANUAL!!! Before you Buy...

Me too Ed.

I read the manual several times, and the manuals of other cams or items I am shopping.

Then when I get the new thing, I get the manual out and read through the setup process.

It works for me.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Images of Nature, Landscapes, Wildlife...

Rovers's gear list:Rovers's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +6 more
AarSee
AarSee Veteran Member • Posts: 4,673
post deleted

n/t

AarSee's gear list:AarSee's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6500 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +11 more
AarSee
AarSee Veteran Member • Posts: 4,673
Why indeed

Why read the manual?  Why indeed.

That would take away all of the forum's fun being condescending to other people.

If everyone read the manual, and understood it, where would Dpreview be?

Sorry, I guess I was being critical of people who scream (type in all caps) with questions about the lack of other people's knowledge.

Kettle meet pot.

-- hide signature --

Rick

AarSee's gear list:AarSee's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6500 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +11 more
Pinksummer27
Pinksummer27 Regular Member • Posts: 149
Simple answer

Don't read or respond to posts you don't want to. It's not like anyone is forcing you to help out. And I finally got Gary Friedmans book and its beyond helpful. Honestly, Sony should just give his book out on a cd with each camera. Would save the OP some apparent headaches and capital letters!!

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 327
Re: Not dumb, it is laziness...

I fix UNiX servers for a living, same thing there.  I do not believe it is dumb, it is being lazy.  Why do 10 mins of research when you can have some one else do it for you.

Sonyshine
OP Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,892

jjoyce wrote:

I fix UNiX servers for a living, same thing there.  I do not believe it is dumb, it is being lazy.  Why do 10 mins of research when you can have some one else do it for you.

I had a boss once who said I was the most efficient worker he had ever known.

When I looked pleased he explained that 'efficient' meant lazy - wherever a short cut could be found I would find it....

Maybe thats why we dive straight into forums instead of reading the manuals?

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
Graham Best Veteran Member • Posts: 3,426

Sonyshine wrote:

I had a boss once who said I was the most efficient worker he had ever known.

When I looked pleased he explained that 'efficient' meant lazy - wherever a short cut could be found I would find it....

I've always remembered this quote from Erwin Rommel.

"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders."

Graham Best's gear list:Graham Best's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a7R Sony a77 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +13 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,975
Re: People are lazy

GodSpeaks wrote:

I don't know why, but many find it easier to ask strangers on an internet forum than to look it up in the manual, or even trying to google it.

There are people who will stand in line five minutes to see a bank teller when the ATM machine is free right now - and people who will wait to use the ATM when the teller is standing there available. People are funny.

Of course, manufacturers not supplying printed manuals doesn't help the situation.

I find that the pdf version of the manual is much better for someone like me. I always know where it is (on my computer), if I need to find something I can just do a word search of the pdf file and usually find what I want very quickly.

YMMV.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

That's the truth.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

mustafa604 Regular Member • Posts: 342
Re: they do its called you tube, LOL! (nt)

Lol show me a YouTube video that they show you how to use nex 6. Doesn't exist

edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,574

Quite common with grey market stuff. All docs intended for the original market, in that language, are often removed and either substituted with photocopied versions of the manuals in the language of the market where the product is being sold (where it is a "grey" import), or are left out entirely.

edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,574

I have encountered no shortage of friends over the years who have trouble understanding the written word, but comprehend very quickly when shown. That explains the immense popularity of the audio/visual how-to segments on YouTube, and I can only assume that these will continue to play a more prominent role in acquainting many folks with the neat stuff their new cameras can do.

StayClassy
StayClassy Regular Member • Posts: 296

Sonyshine wrote:

Many questions on here and on other forums can be simply answered by READING THE MANUAL!!

Why are people so dumb?

Of course I include myself in the 'dumb' category because I never read the manual either....

Is it a 'macho male' thing?  

Which button makes the camera go click?

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

StayClassy's gear list:StayClassy's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G
GaryMiller1951 Contributing Member • Posts: 558
Re: Bing, dogpile, Yahoo, altivista, lycos or MSN for a few (nt)

Know them well. Just couldn't resist a little light-heartedness at the opening that was presented. AltaVista was my first favorite before Google.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads