Gary Friedmans Download on A99

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
royalpar1 Regular Member • Posts: 167
Gary Friedmans Download on A99

OMG, i thought i knew many of the settings as having read David Busch on the A77, this book is the BEST ! 650 pages, i am on only page 70 and it has taught me tremendous amount of information on the camera. Many of the questions/issues which are asked and requested can all be found in the book , if the person does not take the time to go to the search function of DPReview.

I fought buying for the 6 months i had the 77, now i have my camera tuned !

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/alpha99/index.htm--

Mitchell
http://www.lombardsvision.com/

royalpar1's gear list:royalpar1's gear list
Leica CL
Sony Alpha a99 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OntarioJohn
OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959
Re: Gary Friedmans Download on A99

This is why those of us who've read Gary's books try to prod others to do so too.

Some people can write and convey concepts the way others can play a grand piano.

Gary is a whole orchestra worth of information.  And he is a flash expert, as in camera flashes.

The new a99 book of over 600 pages is a fantastic learning tool and reference guide.

Sony should give a copy with every purpose, but then there wouldn't be many posts here!!

-- hide signature --

John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit
Take some shots and SHARE...more fun that peeping at pixels at some crazy ISO!!!

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
FlyNavy Regular Member • Posts: 395

I agree!    Gary is brilliant yet so easy to understand.  His A99 E-book is priceless!

-- hide signature --
Ross Drummond Regular Member • Posts: 218

Let me be another to join the chorus.  Gary's book is indispensable!

-- hide signature --

Ross
SN 9903081 Konica Minolta 7D
'Charter Member of the Konica Minolta 7D Adoption Society'
SN 1400255 Sony A700
SN 1660180 Sony SLT-A55V
SN 0331003 Sony SLT-A77V
SN 1004716 Sony SLT-A99V

Ross Drummond's gear list:Ross Drummond's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +8 more
Old Man River Regular Member • Posts: 251

I have kudos to express to Mr. Friedman, as well.

Although I am an A77 owner that mostly shoots sports photography with long G lenses, I recently decided to explore a new direction with portrait flash photography as I anticipate my daughter's final two years of high school.

Once I received my first HVL-43AM flash and experienced that awesome wireless off-camera placement thrill, I wanted more.  (What a far cry from my old HVL-F1000 strobe!)

After reading Gary's teaser material on Sony wireless ratio flash on the Internet, I ordered a second and third copy of the same HVL-43AM flash unit - in addition to his A77 book and Sony wireless flash lecture video.

I'm having great mental fun as I satiate my thirst for specific information on wireless ratio flash methodology. More importantly, I could not locate this information anywhere else.

As a bonus of sorts, Mr. Friedman's publication is already yielding many pearls of wisdom that are immediately augmenting my current enthusiast-level understanding of the A77's sometimes hidden potential.

It must be equally if not more intense for a99 owners.

stevebarron Regular Member • Posts: 166

OntarioJohn wrote:

This is why those of us who've read Gary's books try to prod others to do so too.

Some people can write and convey concepts the way others can play a grand piano.

Gary is a whole orchestra worth of information.  And he is a flash expert, as in camera flashes.

The new a99 book of over 600 pages is a fantastic learning tool and reference guide.

Sony should give a copy with every purpose, but then there wouldn't be many posts here!!

If one already has a copy of Gary's A77 book as I do and given that there are a lot of similarities between the A77 and A99 cameras, how valuable is his A99 book?

The A77 book is fantastic but since purchasing the A99 camera I have held off buying Gary's A99 book as I would imagine that 70-80% of the material would already be covered in his A77 book and, whilst $30 is no fortune, it didn't seem to represent good value for me personally. If he had offered something like a 50% discount for people who had already purchased the A77 book, then I probably would have purchased it straight away.

Steve

stevebarron's gear list:stevebarron's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +7 more
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,489

I have the same dilemma, I think the only difference compared to A77 will be a chapter about AF-D, AF range and the flashshoe.

But since the A77 book was very good I will buy the A99 book sooner or later.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Sony 20mm F1.8G +1 more
OntarioJohn
OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

The a99 book is over 600 pages aimed at the ADVANCED USER.

So a lot of stuff is changed, and new things are added.

It's not all the same stuff just pasted together.

I've read most all of the a99 book.  Cover to alleged cover.

-- hide signature --

John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit
Take some shots and SHARE...more fun that peeping at pixels at some crazy ISO!!!

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,489

Pleased to hear that, I will buy it now.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Sony 20mm F1.8G +1 more
gspam1 Regular Member • Posts: 168

+1. I have the A77 book too and have found the A99 book a very worthwhile purchase.

alisaad619
alisaad619 Regular Member • Posts: 182

I bought the A57 ebook 2 days ago

and I really love it (and I'm just on the beginning of the book) I also love my camera more since I know a lot more about the amazing technology and enovationĀ on it

I just have one thing that I disliked \ the cover graphic design is not great (color ,font and graphic) I think that is mainly because Gary don't have a big publisher that support him but even as self published author he can do a lot better presentation(on the cover not the content of the book which is awesome) and I think the not so great cover might be the reason that a lot of people go with the other book (just from choosing the better looking or more professional looking from the  search result from amazon for example which result on less reviews on Gary's book and less sales on amazon )

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads