>>> Street Photography eXchange #38 <<<

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
andrenth Regular Member • Posts: 308
Re: Men carrying wreaths

Thanks for this, Fotis. It was a delight to read your thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Andre

Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Re: well done, sal

Thank you, Chris. I had a lot of trouble deciding on the conversion of this one. It was bright early afternoon with huge dynamic range. I think i overly reduced the heavy duty contrasts - burning the glaring white headgear, etc so that the gentleness of the kid's face wouldn't be overpowered. But I didn't want to make it dull and bland, of course. I'll have another go at it.

Sal

Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #38 <<<

Thank you for your insightful comment. And now, a day later, I am agreeing about the need for more contrast. (This was one shot where color sucked all the juice out of the story.)

Sal

Thank you, John. Living far from a big city in a town where there is perhaps not one chess set, well...you can guess. And you would laugh if you could see how much I've already toned down the bg chess players. You have a point - but I like 'em as they are.

Sal

Re: Rite of Spring II

Now, that is one essential bicycle, Frank.

Sal

Zubu Barunda Senior Member • Posts: 2,788

anamesa wrote:

Sal18 wrote:

chess game

Sal

The chess "game" is rather an agon, I suppose, and the opponents are deeply engrossed in their play. This is made more antithetical by the fact that one is a child, the other grown up, bearded, with odd hair-style and a towel on top of it like coming from

That 'towel on the top' is called a Dastar or Pagṛi and it is worn by Sikh men.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Dastar&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-ContextMenu&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=G6pmUY-WC9Pz0gXJqoCIDA&biw=1081&bih=793&sei=yatmUcawOYeu0QWz9ICwCg

http://www.google.com/search?q=Sikh&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-ContextMenu&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=J6tmUZrKKeen0AWe1oCoBg&biw=1081&bih=793&sei=datmUZnhK4e50QXpx4CgDw

the East. An agon is usually a "game" of divergent tonalities, and I understand the quasi confusion chris and maybe frank were into in a way. Black and white is the name of agon, and here it seems that you have decided to dampen the contrast (pun intended, if any). After all, chess is a game between black & white.The juice bottle in the middle, acting both as an obstacle (to our view) and as a lense to the pieces on the board, has a distinct, quasi surreal value. The parallel combats in the background amplify the foreground, but also deprive it from a sense of uniqueness. All in all a very satisfying scene, which might benefit from higher contrast, even some blown highlights.

-- hide signature --

Fotis

fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,054
Re: Rite of Spring I

anamesa wrote:

fad wrote:

The colors are the missing water, its absense filling the scene and making the pastel or chalk graphics possible. It is almost an altar of round shape the spring, so the pun finds its place oddly. But the picture is also mostly about the space that seperates, us as the cropped spectators of a rite, from the mysterious colouring of the absense by the two priestesses.And of course, the colours should explode in such a picture, but I can't say how. (I only hope I've not been a victim of your title )

-- hide signature --

Fotis

The colors are the missing, absent water,
That spread in billows on the waiting floor
Like undulating petals in the breeze.
Blue priestesses prepare these rites of spring
Bright petals float, they charge the empty spaces
And bring us blessing of the first ablution
Until the waters come

Hat tip:  Photis

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +17 more
fad
And this more dynamic

D80, 24-85, 50mm

-- hide signature --

Frank

Hot dogs

Sal

JirkaS Regular Member • Posts: 126
Frail & Hurt project - samples

fad

Sal18 wrote:

d Hot dogs

Sal

My 2 cents.

I've taken a trillion of these shots.  What's good here are the dogs and, weakly, the the two fellows turned to each other.  The cane is also nice, excellent angle.

In this composition, I think more of an angle would help.

Invisible eyes is a negative, a big one.  If your subject is the woman in the middle left out of the conversation the framing does not make that statement.  In that case crop the dog on the right.  Man on the left could use some margin.  My hunch is that you just need more practice.   That you saw something here but could not frame it in real time.  And you make me realize I should pay more attention to people who are not jeunes filles en fleur.   Mature stories are the best and deepest.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Tipo21 Junior Member • Posts: 49

China town NY.

-- hide signature --

-Otoki

Tipo21's gear list:Tipo21's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +5 more
Zubu Barunda Senior Member • Posts: 2,788
Level 1 Art

Tate Modern, London

Deepak Kaw
Deepak Kaw Senior Member • Posts: 2,036
Market bustle
 Deepak Kaw's gear list:Deepak Kaw's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T2 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +24 more
bosjohn21
bosjohn21 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,169

Sal18 wrote:

Thank you, John. Living far from a big city in a town where there is perhaps not one chess set, well...you can guess. And you would laugh if you could see how much I've already toned down the bg chess players. You have a point - but I like 'em as they are.

Sal

as it was mentioned I looked again and there is indeed an intersting bodylanguage of the players on the left receding towards the back. cool

John

fad
Re: Market bustle

Deepak Kaw wrote:

This works very well for me.  Much better than your usual close up shot.   The lines and rhythm of this are very beautiful and dignified.

-- hide signature --

Frank

albobkin
albobkin Senior Member • Posts: 1,856
Re: the man watching

Sal18 wrote:

Wonderful photo, Al...please tell us more about it, such as where it is.

Sal

Thank you,Sal.

Tuva,it lies in the geographical center of Asia, in southern Siberia.

I traveled there in 1987-1988

-- hide signature --

al

fad

48mm

Sal,

This is my only decent recent Wash Sq bench shot.   It's not typical at all.  Most of my shots are much more like yours.

This is visually pretty only.   Probably not very helpful.

-- hide signature --

Frank

OP xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871

the colors and forms of the produce are appealing. shooting down the row with the telephoto like that helped compress those aspects and emphasize them.

i am sure you are aware that you could improve the focus. i would also strive to put the figures into more definite relationship to each other, or look for a more telling interaction, to help your picture represent your subject better.

Aethon Regular Member • Posts: 320
Distractions

Exploring San Francisco with an X100 and EPL2.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads