* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 259, 13 04 10 *

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,235
Re: The Chisled Trail

Nicely composed and nice blue in the sky.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: The Surfer...

Nice colour and detail in the water.  Like the format used for the image as well.  The horizon looks a little off but a very nice image.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: OK, last try to insert "chapel"

Nice uncluttered image.  I like the way the interior of the window frames are bathed in incoming light making them standout from the darker interior walls.  The scene through the windows looks inviting with a good variety of colour and detail, unlike the interior of the building.

Andrew

RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,999
Jazz

I attended a small private concert last Tuesday, of Belgian jazz musician Joachim Badenhorst in a solo set.  I was there as a guest, not photographer, so I only had my LX3 with me.

I did my own little bit of "free jazz improv" in order to get an original angle with OOF foreground interest.

PANASONIC LX3 (1/60 at F2)

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

redsox Veteran Member • Posts: 3,080
Re: Photographing a "slug".

Wayne,

I like how the hdr is applied subtly. A clear, sharp shot. I think the slight upward tilt helps the slug appear a little less static.

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Re: Cleopatra

19andrew47 wrote:

Taken at a halloween dance with my first digital camera, a 4 mega pixel Minolta which died an early death.

Andrew

The very expressive real eyes (with a nice catch-light althoug higher on the iris would have been nice too) are enhanced by the third eye on the forehead.

A bit of shine on the skin from the flash, but the shine is mostly in the right places: lips and a cheek may look healthy; the slight reflection on the nose is the only one I would consider toning down.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Re: The Surfer...

stephent wrote:

Hi everyone, this from a classic autumn day.

Regards.

Stephen.

I really like this shot very much :

* the surfer is a silhouette in an elegant stance, almost like Botticelli's Venus (in a male version) rising from the waves.

* the sea looks attractive and the mountain adds a serious amount of background interest, while the spray of the waves is reflected in the cloud clinging to the cliff (jeez, I'm in an alliterating mood...)

Very nice.  Wish I'd made it.

I guess some people will have the impression that the horizon is slightly slanted, but I don't think it is: it's a play of perspective of the sea against the further piece of coastline.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
Re: Jazz juxtapositioning

Roel,

It's a nicely framed shot. I like the juxtaposition of the lamp shade at the top. The saxaphonist holds interest too. What a great chance ot photograph this concert with any camera.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
trevor4455 Regular Member • Posts: 127
Sun dial

I was thinking about entering one of these into a local contest of the town.  Which one do you think?

Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,228
Re: Cleopatra

19andrew47 wrote:

Taken at a halloween dance with my first digital camera, a 4 mega pixel Minolta which died an early death.

Andrew

As a person who began digital with a 2mp Fuji P&S in 2005, I report that this photo certainly exceeds my quality expectations for a 2002 digital image, and moreover this is a happy moment.

Sometimes when a subject's gaze is this direct I think it can be helpful to have a little more space in the frame. If no space was cropped away from the original, a stepped two- or three-layer frame could stand in for space, to help put the subject at an apparent "conversational" distance.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Re: The Chisled Trail

dave gaines wrote:

Not the Chisolm Trail but a highly carved, rocky route. This is Sheep Canyon in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. We hiked about as far as you can see and around the corner in this rugged, steep canyon. The streambed is full of syacamore and cottonwood trees while the surrounding hills are classic So Cal Sonora Desert. E-5 and 11-22 mm f/2.8-3.5 lens.

Trail into Sheep Canyon

Absent any cues that look "trail-ish," I think the title -- though undoubtedly true -- doesn't efficiently make the sale. Both the human subject and the scrub tree are explicit (as opposed to implied) elements, and thereby preempt viewer's hunt for a visible trail.

For me the subtle theme of greenery emerging in a rocky desert landscape amidst parched, dead growth of seasons past has the main accessible eye appeal. As landscape I'd probably want the human present for scale only, and therefore considerably smaller in the frame to help emphasize the ever-present western Big Land idea.  Trite maybe, but it still works.

Although not knowing what's available at this place I think I'd like a wider view.

I like the variety of textures. The simple color palette makes it easy to imagine glorious sunshine -- a big deal to us in the Upper Left Corner (Washington State).

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Re: Jazz

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I attended a small private concert last Tuesday, of Belgian jazz musician Joachim Badenhorst in a solo set.  I was there as a guest, not photographer, so I only had my LX3 with me.

I did my own little bit of "free jazz improv" in order to get an original angle with OOF foreground interest.

PANASONIC LX3 (1/60 at F2)

If Buddy Holly played a horn...

Roel works the angles again, and once again it succeeds.

Music/singing performance photos often struggle, pitted against our rich sonic memories. This picture is no exception, but the tilt brings some vitality and dynamism; it becomes something more than just a guy holding a horn.

The player's legs-shadows reach back to an alternate instrument, a nice tie-in which grounds the performer physically and professionally. An overhead white rim establishes in the viewer a sense of his own relative location. (The perspective says the pic was shot from a standing position.) The white rim also helps partially "enclose" the musician, thus simultaneously positing an audience and facing him to it. All these cue an ambiance much different than a closeup sweat-beaded performance shot. Not better, just different.

I like the picture for getting the job done despite the photographer's small toolbox.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Re: Sun dial

trevor4455 wrote:

I was thinking about entering one of these into a local contest of the town.  Which one do you think?

Much depends on the themes or categories of the competition, but disregarding that, I'd favor the first picture.

The architecture seems unusual, and there is a variety of elements in the picture for a viewer to explore. Also, the ground-level perspective is interesting.

One possible "points-off" of the second picture is that the lettering on the stack is not very accessible to the eye; I can't read what it says. In local competitions -- unlike hifalutin arty venues -- pictures which pose more questions than they answer may be at a disadvantage. 

-- hide signature --

Zin

stephent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,893
Re: Sun dial

Hi mate, from a contest point of view, I would say the first one would be more suitable, without knowing the description of any brief. Of the two it to me shows more of a standard view.

From a photographers view the second one is more interesting.

Maybe if you could tell us a little about the brief the answer might be different.

Regards.

Stephen.

Re: Jazz

Hi mate,  a nicely framed image, you know straight away that that jazz is filling the room. The performer caught in a great shaft of light.

The only change I would make would be to crop the top left corner, the light peg is a little distracting.

Regards.

Stephen.

Apologies to Dave and Wayne.

I cannot see you images at the moment, I had a quick look yesterday but today only blanks. I will try again tomorrow.

Regards.

Stephen.

Zindanfel
Metrics of Feet

-- hide signature --

Zin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads