4 reasons why I'm not buying nx300 now

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208
4 reasons why I'm not buying nx300 now

I've been thinking a lot about buying the new nx300, but I decided to wait a little longer for the following reasons:

1) I seem to find only white bodies (that I don't like) with 18-55mm for about 600€ here in Italy. Black bodies with the same lens are at least 50€ more expensive, which I find absurd

2) the system is really new and different in many ways from previous nx models, hence there seem to be quite many bugs. Samsung could address some of them via fw, but past experiences show that samsung is quite slow reacting

3) today I was able to test the camera in a local store. Af is very similar to nx200, in speed, imho...af tracking was not working very well, also

4) touch screen is not very sensitive, and, at the same time, it's easy to touch it by mistake and change settings

On the opposite side, I really liked the look and feel, the focus peaking feature and the average responsiveness of the system, which I'd consider as 50% better than nx200.

If I find a black body with 18-55mm at the price I find white ones, I think I'll get it, but once again Samsung left something incomplete.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
simontramper
simontramper Senior Member • Posts: 2,397
Re: 4 reasons why I'm not buying nx300 now

Amazon have in a black body but only with a 20-50 on it for £599 . So I will be waiting as well . I would prefer to just buy the body . As to the bugs well they will get around to it when they have sold enough.Mind you in the UK it would help to have them in the shops. On the whole if I had the money I would buy it now .

simontramper's gear list:simontramper's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +10 more
tecnoworld
OP tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208

If you are in uk you could probaly buy it for less than that (I think it was 509 pounds) with 18-55mm, as pointed out by another forum member.

simontramper
simontramper Senior Member • Posts: 2,397

If you are in uk you could probaly buy it for less than that (I think it was 509 pounds) with 18-55mm, as pointed out by another forum member.

I saw that but I have seen anything to say it has turned up yet . With no update about arrival leaves you with a big question mark about the outlet.

simontramper's gear list:simontramper's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +10 more
ChuckTa Senior Member • Posts: 1,446

I am waiting for the brown one, which is not yet out.

I tried in the store too, I agree the AF is not as fast as I have seem in the videos, but the touch screen focus is really fast, I wonder why.

Anyways, I am also waiting for the price to drop a bit more. I can still use the good old nx200 until then.:-)

ChuckTa's gear list:ChuckTa's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Sony a7 Samsung NX mini Samsung NX500 Fujifilm X-T20 +10 more
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478

Ouuuchh ... amazon.it .. price white NX300   € 612 --- > € 775  !!!

I hope my 2D/3D arrives tomorrow (squaredance/linedance make ...)

Raf007 Regular Member • Posts: 178

simontramper wrote:

I saw that but I have seen anything to say it has turned up yet . With no update about arrival leaves you with a big question mark about the outlet.

I got it last Friday and gave my first impression already on this forum. It come from Holland so I think they can post to other European countries or maybe worldwide. I didnt have much time to play with it yet but it terms of handling Im very pleased with the camera. Regarding the touch screen I cant say anything bad. It is sensitive enough for me but not too sensitive at the same time. You shouldn't worry about changing any setting by mistake. You would have to press the menu or the Fn first to change anything.

I tested the camera a bit today and Iam thinking of returning it. My NX300 has a terrible chromatic aberration.

chromatic aberration

I printed a chart to check for AA filter but then realised that my printer isn't good enough to produce a satisfactory printout. I took a few pictures with the NX200 and the NX300 nevertheless.  At first I thought it was the lens but I swapped and it is definitely the camera. A few pictures at different ISO.

Is it something what may be fixed in firmware or the camera is faulty? Could someone who has NX300 check for the aberration? I just want to be sure before I return it.

tecnoworld

woa, that's really really bad even at iso 100...almost incredible...could it be a defective sensor?

p.s.: you should create an independent topic, so you would have more replies on the CA topic.

Carl Decker Regular Member • Posts: 133
Can you try it raw-converted ?

the jpg machine of samsung was never strong.

Carl Decker's gear list:Carl Decker's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X-E2
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,152

CA is a function of lens.  It could be that the camera is being corrected differently (or not being corrected).  I assume you are using exactly the same lens on each camera (not same models, same physical lens)?  Secondly, if focus is different CA will appear different.  Focus looks similar.

First thing first, if you have a RAW converter like DCRAW, I would compare using that since it does no corrections.  Lightroom automatically corrects the RAW files from the earlier NX series cameras and it might be that it isn't working the same for NX300 as for NX200.

Also, even shooting JPEG, set the white balance to custom in camera and set it using your chart.  Make sure exposure is in Manual and identical on both cameras (turn off auto ISO too).  White balance will change CA appearance a lot.

My thought here is there should be no technical reason CA near the center of the frame would change unless the lens is different, or processing of the RAW data is different.  CA on the edge could maybe change a bit if a lack of AA filter or different micro lens setup or something changed something slightly.

For AA filter, get back further from your chart maybe, or be sure to print it as large as you can.  As you say, it is easy to be misled by charts that are too small and printed low res.  For my lens testing my chart is like 40x60" or so.  Was a pain to find a place to dry mount it

Edit: one more thing, use a tripod and ISO 100 for this test.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
tecnoworld

the 30mm NX lens, unless it's a bad sample, should not show much CA...

30mm ca test

also the 18-55mm that the user has tested should not have this issue:

18-55 ca test

A different story is with 18-200 (above 150), where the CA are more evident, or with the 20mm, on which CA increase quite a bit stopping down the lens.

timedrun Contributing Member • Posts: 683

fw v1.0! youd be mad to buy it now, imo. but the "system" is well worth buying into. It is the best system available in mirrorless, if not the most compact.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8

Yes, I used the same lens and I used tripod, switched off IOS set white balance to daylight and shot in RAW. I converted them to jpg to post it here. At first I used 18-55mm II on nx200 and 18-55 III on NX300. After noticing the aberration I swapped the lenses and then used 30mm to rule out faulty lens. I also noticed that despite the same white balance the colour temperature wasnt the same so I normalised it in Lightroom using the White Balance Selector. The pictures from NX200 were without any aberration so it must have been NX300.

After that I converted SRW files to DNG to open it in RawTherapee since it is unable to open RAW files from NX300. Please correct me if Im wrong but I thing that RawTherepee uses DCRAW. The chromatic aberration were visible too. I also opened the files in IrfanView, the same. So I thought it must be definitely the camera, I posted my finding on the forum and started looking for the camera to be returned.

Then I decided to investigate a bit more, I tried to open SRW files in IrfanView directly without converting them to DNG first. I was surprised that it worked and there was no chromatic aberration at all! Viking97 was right, Lightroom's  conversion is causing the aberration.

jpg from IfranView

viking79

Raf007 wrote:

Yes, I used the same lens and I used tripod, switched off IOS set white balance to daylight and shot in RAW. I converted them to jpg to post it here. At first I used 18-55mm II on nx200 and 18-55 III on NX300. After noticing the aberration I swapped the lenses and then used 30mm to rule out faulty lens. I also noticed that despite the same white balance the colour temperature wasnt the same so I normalised it in Lightroom using the White Balance Selector. The pictures from NX200 were without any aberration so it must have been NX300.

After that I converted SRW files to DNG to open it in RawTherapee since it is unable to open RAW files from NX300. Please correct me if Im wrong but I thing that RawTherepee uses DCRAW. The chromatic aberration were visible too. I also opened the files in IrfanView, the same. So I thought it must be definitely the camera, I posted my finding on the forum and started looking for the camera to be returned.

Then I decided to investigate a bit more, I tried to open SRW files in IrfanView directly without converting them to DNG first. I was surprised that it worked and there was no chromatic aberration at all! Viking97 was right, Lightroom's  conversion is causing the aberration.

Interesting, I wonder if it is trying to correct something that is not there and so it actually adds CA?  I wonder if the DNG conversion process adds in corrections?

That is nice you can open the SRW directly with IrfanView, wasn't sure if that would work since it is a new camera.

I would see if you can contact adobe about the issue if possible.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more

viking79 wrote:

Raf007 wrote:

Interesting, I wonder if it is trying to correct something that is not there and so it actually adds CA?  I wonder if the DNG conversion process adds in corrections?

That is nice you can open the SRW directly, wasn't sure if that would work since it is a new camera.

I would see if you can contact adobe about the issue if possible.

Eric

I was surprised that IrfanView opened NX300 SRW without any problems too. I will contact Adobe but Id like to someone else confirmed Lightroom DNG bug first, just to make completely sure it is Lightroom.

jennyrae Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

I see aberrations in my pictures. it is bug. no matter, I do easy correction with no problem. but still need to tell Adobe to fix bug. better perfect dng conversion. could become problem in other pictures.

jennyrae Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

I compare samsung raw file opened in irfanview and lightroom. irfanview did good with picture view with no aberration (perfect) but less with detail and sharpness. lightroom dng show more sharpness and beautiful detail but with strong aberrations in edges. better tell Adobe to correct bug but do not decrease detail and sharpness because detail is great even with aberration bug. just improve it and do aberration correction only.

I got a reply from Adobe. They are aware of the problem and investigating. Hopefully a fix is on the way.

viking79

Raf007 wrote:

I got a reply from Adobe. They are aware of the problem and investigating. Hopefully a fix is on the way.

Excellent!  Glad to see they are on top of things and responsive to inquiries

Eric

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads