A99 viewfinder - please help

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
Febs Contributing Member • Posts: 512
A99 viewfinder - please help

Hello everybody,

Last week I received my A99, overall I'm very happy with the camera but there's one thing that bothers me a lot.

When I shoot in bright daylight the viewfinder image appears very dark and when I shoot at an angle of 45 degree towards the sun, I actually can't see anything in the viewfinder unless I use my left hand to shield the eye from all the surrounding light. I should note here that I'm wearing glasses.

There is an option in the menu to increase the viewfinder brightness but I found it was already at the max.

Are you guys experiencing the same?? Is there a way to fix this problem? As it stands the A99 seems unsuited for use in bright light?!

Fabian

Febs's gear list:Febs's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Sony Alpha a99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +5 more
Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cosmonaut
cosmonaut Senior Member • Posts: 2,223
Re: A99 viewfinder - please help

Check Menu>wrench>fourth setting Viewfinder brightness. Auto is default. Also color temp should be auto.

OP Febs Contributing Member • Posts: 512

cosmonaut wrote:

Check Menu>wrench>fourth setting Viewfinder brightness. Auto is default. Also color temp should be auto.

Hello Cosmonaut,

I did this already and the brightest setting is simply still much too dark in bright conditions. Do you find it's okay to use the A99 in midday sun?

Fabian

Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Sony Alpha a99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +5 more
Rashkae Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

Febs wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

Hello Cosmonaut,

I did this already and the brightest setting is simply still much too dark in bright conditions. Do you find it's okay to use the A99 in midday sun?

Fabian

It works perfectly fine. It's actually showing you the "real" image.

OntarioJohn
OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

I have mine set to up the brightness just a bit.

An optical viewfinder would be much worse for you then.  It must be the way you wear your glasses? Is there enough correction in the eyepiece to allow you to take them off?

-- hide signature --

John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit
Take some shots and SHARE...more fun that peeping at pixels at some crazy ISO!!!

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more

OntarioJohn wrote:

I have mine set to up the brightness just a bit.

In the menu I only found the option to set the viewfinder brightness to +1, 0 or -1. I chose +1 and it was simply not enough in bright light.

An optical viewfinder would be much worse for you then.  It must be the way you wear your glasses? Is there enough correction in the eyepiece to allow you to take them off?

I haven't had problems with previous cameras. The eyepoint of the A900 is further out which makes it more comfortable to look through than the A99.

When I take my glasses off it's a bit better but the viewfinder remains too dark.

-- hide signature --

Take some shots and SHARE...more fun that peeping at pixels at some crazy ISO!!!

Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,882

...of course with any EVF if your shooting settings are "wrong" then the EVF will be too dark or too bright - its showing you how the shot will turn out.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE

Rashkae wrote:

Febs wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

Hello Cosmonaut,

Fabian

It works perfectly fine. It's actually showing you the "real" image.

Mhh. I see something dark in the finder and something perfectly exposed later on the computer.

Basically the viewfinder picture is bright in a dark environment and dark in a bright environment. The camera doesn't compensate enough for the brightness changes of the environment. Don't you think?

Peter McNeill Senior Member • Posts: 1,554

Don't have a A99 but if like it's cheaper aps-c cousins in the menu you could try setting picture effects off. That will keep the EVF bright and won't show the scene exactly as is being shot.

Peter McNeill wrote:

Don't have a A99 but if like it's cheaper aps-c cousins in the menu you could try setting picture effects off. That will keep the EVF bright and won't show the scene exactly as is being shot.

Okay I'm gonna try this 

Sonyshine wrote:

...of course with any EVF if your shooting settings are "wrong" then the EVF will be too dark or too bright - its showing you how the shot will turn out.

Sonyshine,

The point I was trying to make is that the EVF is too dark even though the image is correctly exposed.

Greetings, Fabian

splashy
splashy Senior Member • Posts: 2,326

Maybe you need a bigger cap to cover the surrounding light.

Your EVF should be a clear sharp  almost 3 d image, but you say it's only when you make pictures towards the sun, is it ok when you turn away?

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

Febs wrote:

Hello everybody,

Last week I received my A99, overall I'm very happy with the camera but there's one thing that bothers me a lot.

When I shoot in bright daylight the viewfinder image appears very dark and when I shoot at an angle of 45 degree towards the sun, I actually can't see anything in the viewfinder unless I use my left hand to shield the eye from all the surrounding light. I should note here that I'm wearing glasses.

There is an option in the menu to increase the viewfinder brightness but I found it was already at the max.

Are you guys experiencing the same?? Is there a way to fix this problem? As it stands the A99 seems unsuited for use in bright light?!

Fabian

I see no reason for this to happen if the settings are right. Take an image under this issue and post it here.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
robert614 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

Febs wrote:

Peter McNeill wrote:

Okay I'm gonna try this 

Hello Fabian,

The EVF is not going to be as bright as an OVF.Especially the beautiful OVF in the A900.Peter's tip is good.Also you can try wearing a cap to put some shade over the eyepiece.

Robert

splashy wrote:

Maybe you need a bigger cap to cover the surrounding light.

Your EVF should be a clear sharp  almost 3 d image, but you say it's only when you make pictures towards the sun, is it ok when you turn away?

When I turn away from the sun it's better but the viewfinder is still much too dark.

In the first days after receiving the camera we had overcast light. The viewfinder was perfect to use. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I went out to shoot in the sun and the finder was just dark, dark, dark. I think that the finder doesn't have enough power in bright circumstances.

OntarioJohn
OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

Ok, so explain to me the EVF won't be as bright as an OVF.  NOW if you are referring to that thing that happens when you look at the sun through the OVF and blow out your eyeball.

And I do agree that when you look through the viewfinder of an OVF camera, what you see has no bearing on the shot other than for an effort at framing.  Actually, OVF is not needed if you learn your distances and use primes.  You just hold the camera and know what shot you will get.

I challenge you assertion that it won't be as bright.

My a99 sees much better than I in dim light.  It actually is MUCH better.  So in twilight or near darkness the EVF is obviously BRIGHTER than the OVF.

I, however, can look towards the sun with my a99.  Give that a shot on a bright day with the OVF.  Now that's brilliant.  

-- hide signature --

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more

robert614 wrote:

Febs wrote:

Peter McNeill wrote:

Okay I'm gonna try this 

Hello Fabian,

The EVF is not going to be as bright as an OVF.Especially the beautiful OVF in the A900.Peter's tip is good.Also you can try wearing a cap to put some shade over the eyepiece.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Okay so there are few tricks! For the rest I probably just have to try to get used to it....

Greetings, Fabian

cplunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,834

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Febs wrote:

Hello everybody,

Fabian

I see no reason for this to happen if the settings are right. Take an image under this issue and post it here.

It would be much easier to understand with an image attached.  As an example of what I've seen with my A77, when I shot this picture, I couldn't see my son's face, there was pretty bright sunlight and he was in the shade:

This was captured in RAW, and adding a tad bit of light in processing:

I could have boosted the EV to get the same effect, or upped the ISO in Manual. And my understanding of DRO is that if turned on, it will do thing like this a bit more automatically.  But in the EVF on the A77 when I shot it, it was nearly black inside those shadows. When he was out into the sun it was no problem, the EVF worked great and the brightness, etc all worked fine.

cplunk's gear list:cplunk's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6300 +19 more
Edward Sargent
Edward Sargent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,693

The OPs problem is seeing the EVF in bright sun while wearing glasses, not with the pictures the camera takes.

-- hide signature --

Sarge
A99| A77| A700
|8mm & 14mm Bower|Sony 28-75 & 70-300 G|
|35-70 & 50mm 1.7 Minolta |
|Sigma 18-250 - 70-200 - 50-500 - 2X TC|
|Tamron 90 - 1.4X TC|
Albums at www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +33 more
Edward Sargent
Edward Sargent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,693

This is a frequently reported issue with the A77 I have not seen it on the A99.

I see 3 solutions I use the both first and second.

1. Stop wearing glasses while shooting. If you can see well enough without them.

2. Wear a hat with a wide soft brim all the way around the hat. Note I needed this hat for OVF cameras as well.

3. Eyecup for glasses, the problem with this is it will block the eyesensor leaving the LCD off and it will probably block some of the LCD movement.

-- hide signature --

Sarge
A99| A77| A700
|8mm & 14mm Bower|Sony 28-75 & 70-300 G|
|35-70 & 50mm 1.7 Minolta |
|Sigma 18-250 - 70-200 - 50-500 - 2X TC|
|Tamron 90 - 1.4X TC|
Albums at www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +33 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads