F900EXR - I'm in love

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions
Richard Southworth Regular Member • Posts: 485
F900EXR - I'm in love

Amazon prime is dangerous, free two day shipping and cheap ($4) one day ship.  Thursday I read that Adobe and Fujifilm had jumped into bed together, and being primarily a raw shooter type that was all the push required, pulled the trigger and Friday started taking pictures with my blue (it was a few dollars cheaper than the black) F900EXR.

I am the owner of a S100, G15 and ZS15, as well as some m43 gear, used to be heavy into Nikon DSLRs.  This little Fuji compact packs more into less than any other camera I've owned.  I have it set up whereby EXR and P mode are more or less equivalent, except I get 8mp 13mb raws from EXR and 16mp 26mb raws from P.

The noise is very well controlled, for both raw and jpg (light touch on NR for high ISO jpg), IS works well IMO at long focal lengths, color is good, and wonderfully ACR accepts both size raws and produces good results.

I'm not much into video, but full HD at 60fps seems ok, and even the pano mode is cute.  Grab one of these little gems, I checked out several pocket long zooms and this is easily the best I've found.

Richard Southworth

Richard Southworth's gear list:Richard Southworth's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +1 more
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 (Lumix DMC-TZ6)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wymjym Veteran Member • Posts: 5,491
Re: F900EXR - I'm in love

Richard,

I own the s100 and have been waiting to here/see results from the oly x10, with a mild interest in the 900.

Since you own the s100 how would you compare the image quality between the two in good light? and very low light (iso 1600)

thanks for any light you can shed on my questions.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

wymjym wrote:

Richard,

I own the s100 and have been waiting to here/see results from the oly x10, with a mild interest in the 900.

Mmm..! Going old school are we.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

thanks for the chuckle...I'm lazy and dropped the -Z-

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

OP Richard Southworth Regular Member • Posts: 485

I think the short answer is no significant difference.  It's tough to do an apples to apples comparison, the S100 is f2 at the wide end and therefore does well in low light wide but loses its advantage at the long end.  The F900 has a good f range for a long zoom, 3.5-5.3, and in particularly the EXR mode does very well.

However, the "right" way to do the comparison is crank out ISO 1600 raws thru a common converter with noise reduction and sharpening turned off, so the following three pictures are the F900 at 8mp and 16mp raw followed by the S100 raw, all at ISO 1600 and approximately the same focal length.  All of the images clean up easily with default sharpening and NR, but for the sake of sicence here they are naked, 100% crops of the proverbial brick wall:

F900EXR 8mp

F900EXR 16mp

S100 12mp

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +1 more

The F900EXR 16mp raw crop doesn't seem to have made it, so here's another try:

Added by edit:  Never mind, it suddenly appeared.

thanks Richard,

love the brick wall and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my ?????s.

I'll watch the zx10 for a while and if that doesn't seem worth the move I'll be happy with what I've got.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

I've studied the XZ-10, appears to be more or less equal to my G15, except gives up the system aspects (flash attach, viewfinder, etc.) in exchange for pocketability.  I previously owned a XZ-1, which was a very good camera, sold it when I acquired the G15.

So the trade-off between the XZ-10 and the F900EXR is fast lens vs. long reach.  If I were you I would certainly put my hands on both before deciding, this little Fuji is that good.  I've always been a fan of fast lenses on small cameras, but this may be the exception.

Here's the full frame ISO1600 8mp brick wall shot, with default ACR settings applied, i.e. 25 sharpening, 0 luminance NR, 25 color NR:

F900EXR 8mp (EXR)

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - be sure to view this image at 100%, the camera jpg is essentially equal to the ACR rendering.

Jacque1 Regular Member • Posts: 358

Good morning,

just a little question : I had a F350 (and I know that the F550 have the same defect), is the 900 have the same thing : a kaleidoscop of colors when we take a picture with the direct sun in the lens (even with a sunset) or a lamp in a night shot.

Thank you very much.

No sun available today, but here's my ceiling light in a dim room shot as a 8mp jpg, looks ok to me.

Richard Southworth

100% crop

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,424
no useful data there ... sorry to say ...

Richard Southworth wrote:

However, the "right" way to do the comparison is crank out ISO 1600 raws thru a common converter with noise reduction and sharpening turned off

That is "one" way to perform a comparison. It is not the "right" way ... the common converter is of course a great idea to eliminate a variable, but performing no effort to improve the files means that you are limiting the usefulness of the results. They do not answering interesting questions, in my opinion.

These questions and variations are answered by your methods (and by the DPReview comparator):

• If I put in no effort, what results will the camera give me?
  • What do Adobe's default settings look like?

Now, I don't know about you, but to me these questions are as interesting as the question "if I boil a steak meat with no additional spices, preparation or sauces will it be bland?"

About the same level of useful information.

Now, if you want to answer the question "what is the ultimate potential of these cameras' output?" then you have to perform a different test.

When I actually download and process the images in Lightroom I find that the differences quickly narrow to an entirely different level when compared with what yo usee in the "no effort" tests. Even cameras with widely different DXOMark scores are far closer in ultimate potential than you might think once you get past the trivial tests ...

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Re: no useful data there ... sorry to say ...

Kim,

I believe you missed the point of my post - as stated (obviously not clearly enough) with my images I was attempting to compare the noise performance of the S100 and the F900EXR at iSO 1600, per wj's request.  I was not providing a comprehensive analysis of the F900's image quality.

In general I agree with your pontifications, although the conciliatory tone tends to pi$$ me off.

Richard Southworth

Another example from this camera - second shot after charging the battery, set it to EXR and aimed at one of our antique Amaryllis flowers, near full zoom handheld, cloudy day, jpg directly OOC.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - pistil was the focus point.

F900EXR, EXR mode

Kim Letkeman

Kim,

I believe you missed the point of my post - as stated (obviously not clearly enough) with my images I was attempting to compare the noise performance of the S100 and the F900EXR at iSO 1600, per wj's request.  I was not providing a comprehensive analysis of the F900's image quality.

In general I agree with your pontifications, although the conciliatory tone tends to pi$$ me off.

How sad for you.

Anyway, yes, I apparently missed the point of your post, which as you point out apparently existed.

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more

Yes it is sad, I'm generally more tolerant of online arrogance, but for some reason your comments irritated me more than most.  Must be a special talent.

Richard Southworth

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,829
focus point in Amaryllis photo?

Did you verify that by looking at the EXIF? In F models since the F300 (if I recall correctly) the x,y location of the focus pixel is given in the EXIF data. I am wondering why the rear-facing flower is out of focus or blurred.

Added by edit - pistil was the focus point.

F900EXR, EXR mode

Re: focus point in Amaryllis photo?

I aimed at the pistil in the front facing flower, half-pressed, and re-composed the picture.  So I would expect the rear flower to be out of focus.  I doubt that exif data would accurately locate the focus point.

Maybe I'm mistaken in calling the central item a pistil?  Stamen?  In any event those projections from the central region of the flower.

Richard Southworth

Kim Letkeman

Yes it is sad, I'm generally more tolerant of online arrogance, but for some reason your comments irritated me more than most.  Must be a special talent.

More like a finely honed skill

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,829
Re: focus point in Amaryllis photo?

The focus pixel is 1632 1224 according to EXIF. This is actually the white stripe to viewer-left of the pistil and stamen.

I don't know why you doubt the reliability of focus pixel info. No reason it would be wrong - the camera knows.

Wish we had a beautiful red flower like this in our yard! In this case I might have tried vertical orientation.

I aimed at the pistil in the front facing flower, half-pressed, and re-composed the picture.  So I would expect the rear flower to be out of focus.  I doubt that exif data would accurately locate the focus point.

Maybe I'm mistaken in calling the central item a pistil?  Stamen?  In any event those projections from the central region of the flower.

alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459
Re: finding focusing distance in EXIF?

I have a question- is there any way to find the focusing distance in the EXIF info? I want to measure the exact focusing distance in my macro shots and I dont want to have to use a ruler lol, is there anyway to use EXIF to find how far away from the lens the focal point is?  Im using continuous AF, center AF, spot metering, macro mode, if that helps (this is for the HS series.)

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads