Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 35,722
*** This Week through YOUR m43 2013.04.06 ***

If you've recently been muttering to yourself, "Holy Crap!", as in:

. Did I take THAT?

. How DID I take that?

. Main, I NAILED that!

. NOTHING like I thought, but - I think nailed something [ ! / ? ]

. I know there's SOMETHING here. . . or is there?

. . . well, you probably want to show it off or get some feedback.     So let's see what we've been up to lately.

1. Reply to THIS message, post your image, image specs, and anything else about the photo or experience you'd like to convey.

2. Embed the image please, for everyone's convenience.

3. Please give some observational feedback on another's post in due course.

-

We are currently seeking funding to be able to continue providing Inspirational Closing Quotes.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

-

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
LincolnB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,353
holy crap

manual focus, baby!

And a two-shot panorama stitch:

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932
12 from 2/10

Finally got through most of this winter's pictures... it takes me a while

One of the better outings was on February 10th.  Light clouds for most of the day, so the sun had an obvious rainbow effect ring around it, and Mt. Rishiri was clear across the ocean for a few hours between back-lighting in the morning, and the closing clouds at 3pm or so.  I spent about seven hours climbing to the peak on my island via a new route, and took about 800 pictures in that period between the EM5 and GH2.  GH2 was the 7-14 (and a few shots with the 45-175, such as the closeup of Rishiri and the treeline below), EM5 was the 14-45.

climb is quite steep from the coast

Mt. Rebun (the goal) becomes visible in the distance

Looking back at a mostly back-lit Rishiri

Looking North to Cape Gorota

Shooting day for night!

from the peak... the rocks in the foreground are a "shrine" in the summer with little Buddha statues ect

Sunset from within the forest on my way back

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +25 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,678
Re: holy crap

Manual focus pictures, I took a lot of them with film cameras. These are good and sharp. Well taken.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +7 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,678
Re: 12 from 2/10

Well composed and well taken. I liked all, nice landscapes.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +7 more
sb123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,161
Atomic Loon, Fighting Eagles, and yet more Eagles

All from Semiahmoo, WA.  All handheld.  Loon with Leica 350 + EM5, the others with G5 + 75-300 on AFC - an excellent BIF outfit.

-- hide signature --

Steve Barnett

novaoz Regular Member • Posts: 151

Simply stunning set.  Well done.

-- hide signature --

Peter from Norfolk Is.

novaoz's gear list:novaoz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +3 more
olivier_777
olivier_777 Contributing Member • Posts: 841
At the beach

Somewhere in Normandy (OM-D, 75-300, 12-50)

olivier_777's gear list:olivier_777's gear list
Leica M8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7
Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739
Temple Trails

Khao Kradong - Buri Ram

Khao Khitchakut Mountain. The last 1.2 KM hike is a continuous stream of shrines and statues

Khao Khitchakut Mountain

Khao Khitchakut Mountain

Khao Khitchakut Moiuntain - Nearing the Summit

Not Khao Khitchakut Mountain. The view from the summit was a bit dull! So this one is taken from earlier in the day at a different hilltop temple (name unknown) about 200KM north.

texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Re: At the beach

olivier_777 wrote:

Somewhere in Normandy (OM-D, 75-300, 12-50)

Nice series, Olivier! The compositions are clean and engaging, and the technical execution is flawless. The first and second are my favorites, but I like them all.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Wide Vienna

I bought my Samyang 7.5mm fisheye a week ago and am loving it. It's hardly left my camera, since. I'm finding that I really like to shoot wide, so I plan to add a 12mm lens to my collection in the next few weeks. The 12mm end of my 12-50mm (which lens I hardly ever use any more) is simply not good enough for me, since I've grown accustomed to shooting with fast, sharp primes.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the SLR Magic 12mm t/1.6. Sounds like a fun, quirky lens.

These first three few I took on my way home last night after dinner and beers with a friend. They're all HDR shots blended with the Enfuse plugin for LightRoom 4.3 from handheld 5-shot 1EV bracket sequences. 9-photos per second makes this reasonably easy to handle, handheld:

The Levante - a recently-renovated hotel. Seems Vienna is undergoing a hotel boom at the moment.

IBIS + bracketing at 9 photos per second = interesting opportunities for high DR, low noise nighttime photography.

Have to work on my technique. Plus, I think these handheld brackets will be easier to get sharp if I'm using a lens with less distortion than a fisheye.

The next two were taken on Thursday afternoon. Both were edited in LightRoom and Nik. The HDR is especially over the top. Nothing subtle about that. Totally not my style, but I'm including it because it makes me chuckle:

Keep on keepin' on.

Clown School HDR, as a friend of mine called it. Not my style, but somehow funny. Another 5-shot handheld bracket sequence, this time blended in Nik HDR Efex. Perhaps a tad over the top

Now it's time to get out and make some more photos - happy snapping, folks!

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739

Great series. They're all excellent, but 2, 4, 7, 9 & 10 are the stand-outs for me, especially 2.

-Najinsky

Andre Bomhof
Andre Bomhof Veteran Member • Posts: 4,693

Absolutely brilliant series, CW!

André

-- hide signature --
Alexandrite Regular Member • Posts: 133
elephant eating peanut

Cheating a little, as this one was actually taken the week before, I haven't had the chance this week to take photos.

Young elephant at Taronga Zoo in Sydney, eating treats - somehow I managed to catch the moment of the treat (peanut?) actually being thrown from the trunk into the mouth!

Pana G5, 45-150mm lens.

-- hide signature --
 Alexandrite's gear list:Alexandrite's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Re: holy crap

Awesome heron!

-- hide signature --

Beautiful, all of them!!!

Living in Australia, I miss snow. (I'm originally from Russia.) But I miss snow exactly like this, like you have shown it - breathtaking, picturesque, glittering snow.
I don't miss the kind of snow one has to shovel off the car in the morning at 6am...

It would be nice if ALL snow was as lovely as in these photos!

-- hide signature --
cfh25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,070
Short walk with the Sigma 19

A quick check with rain-alarm.com, and managed to find a short window this morning without getting wet. Not very exciting I'm afraid:

Blue sky at last!

Good for the grass

Threatening skies

River running full bore

minniev Senior Member • Posts: 2,875
sunset in Canyonlands NP

GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044

Those are all beautiful images.  I especially like the images of the sun's halo and the evening sunlight on the snow.

This past winter I tried RAW for the first time , with a big improvement (I think!) in my images.   I especially like your capture of snow textures etc in the foregrounds with beautiful compositions of spectacular scenery.

I  have a GH 2. Do you have any comments about using the GH 2 and the OM-D together?

I took the liberty of downloading several images so that I could study them at my leisure (I have limited bandwidth) and check EXIFs.

I note that you usually shoot Manual with Pattern Metering (I assume RAW). How do you get that very fine exposure?   (same old question I asked in the above link.)  Do you process it much in post processing (ACR?)

Did you really use a flash in the evening sunlight image?  It is a beauty!!!  (I don't even know how to turn mine on ..... YET!)

Thank you for uploading such fine photography.  It gives us newbies something to aim for!

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
What a difference 7 weeks make.

I was motivated to post these two images by reading this instruction:

. I know there's SOMETHING here. . . or is there?

. . . well, you probably want to show it off or get some feedback.

And to show what a difference 7 weeks makes up here on Georgian Bay...

Taken a couple of days ago.

Taken mid February

Self-critique ... bottom image is quite nice.  Top needs some foreground, at least a polarizer to get that colourful sub-surface abstraction.

I hope that the above will initiate your advice.

(Actually, I was motivated to review my February images by Chez Wimpy's beautiful work.

T

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads