E-5's Wild eBay Ride

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions
historianx
historianx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441
E-5's Wild eBay Ride

Researching the completed listings on eBay for a used E-5 body USA only are like being a on wild roller coaster ride!  Over last 2 months they have sold for as high as $1299 "mint" US (less than a week ago) and as little as $800 plus change (23K shutter, mid-Feb). Granted stated conditions like shutter actuations and superficial wear vary, along with how many were listed at once, but there have been outright bid wars, with highs in the 30s. Reserves are always met and exceeded.  BINs go fast.  Some have batt packs and extra batteries ($999 in March).  Most dont. Average seems to be about $1,016 for the last 9 sales, again USA only (sorry mates).

So I better be prepared to buy that body if $999 or less.  Or, wait to see if O announces the much-anticipated successor E-WTF? which will dip new/demo E-5s to current used levels... I love my E-3s, they are workhorses inside and out, but I had a chance to use a store's used E-5 over a weekend in low light theatre and a 35-100 and yeah it is an improvement, like having my EP-2s innards in the E-3.  Done deal.

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SirSeth
SirSeth Veteran Member • Posts: 9,946
Re: E-5's Wild eBay Ride

Yeah, it's interesting to me how high the price has been for so long. In the past, Olympus bodies sold high at first then lost value after 6-12 months quickly compared with Nikon bodies which sold for a little less at release and maintained the price for quite a while. The E-5 price has remained high for a very long time probably due to cutting the E-xx and E-xxx line (and maybe because it's a good all around body).

I'll be replacing my E-3 eventually. Will have to wait till the E-7 drives the E-5 price down though I suppose. What did you like about the E-5 in use compared with the E-3?

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,185

historianx wrote:

Researching the completed listings on eBay for a used E-5 body USA only are like being a on wild roller coaster ride!  Over last 2 months they have sold for as high as $1299 "mint" US (less than a week ago) and as little as $800 plus change (23K shutter, mid-Feb). Granted stated conditions like shutter actuations and superficial wear vary, along with how many were listed at once, but there have been outright bid wars, with highs in the 30s. Reserves are always met and exceeded.  BINs go fast.  Some have batt packs and extra batteries ($999 in March).  Most dont. Average seems to be about $1,016 for the last 9 sales, again USA only (sorry mates).

So I better be prepared to buy that body if $999 or less.  Or, wait to see if O announces the much-anticipated successor E-WTF? which will dip new/demo E-5s to current used levels... I love my E-3s, they are workhorses inside and out, but I had a chance to use a store's used E-5 over a weekend in low light theatre and a 35-100 and yeah it is an improvement, like having my EP-2s innards in the E-3.  Done deal.

It all comes down to what the market will bear as far as pricing.  The market can be fickle or inconsistent at times, especially if the sample size is small.  And yes, I have the E-5 and the 35-100 lens and they do make a handsome pair, and good shots as well.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +1 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
New E-5's no longer available?

I have been looking for listings of the E-5 new in stores for a few weeks now. I didn't check all of my usual sources today, but this week I still find it is not available at The Olympus America Store or Adorama. I do see it still at B&H Photo.

Does this mean it is just on back order from the factory? Or does it mean Olympus is clearing out all the old stock of E-5 before releasing a new E-7 body? When they released the E-5, the E-3 was still available in a few stores, almost everywhere, and the price quickly dropped from $1700 to around $1100, IIRC. Someone had to pay for that loss in retail value.

Is it available in Europe, Australia and the UK? What does this all mean?

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Jay Jenner
Jay Jenner Contributing Member • Posts: 744

Indeed, where are they all? You hardly ever see an E5 on eBay and when they pop up they go for high prices. Maybe people are just keeping them. I do like my E3 a lot but want that extra sharpness of the E5 so am actively looking for one.

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
historianx
OP historianx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441

SirSeth wrote:

I'll be replacing my E-3 eventually. Will have to wait till the E-7 drives the E-5 price down though I suppose. What did you like about the E-5 in use compared with the E-3?

Seth what I liked about the E-5 is what I like about my EP-2: the detail, a little more latitude for shadow compensation and noise, a larger clearer LCD, and a little better DR.  What impressed me is that with my E-3s and fast dance shots in available light, I need to go 800 or faster to get the shutter speeds I need to freeze action, and as we all know 800 is treading on dangerously noisy territory with the E-3.  With the E-5, however, I noticed that 800 is more like 400 on the E-3, and 1600 is more like 800.  That's a big difference IMO.  Otherwise both cameras feel the same--and both take the HLD-4 grip.  That's at the top of my list for the new model, backwards compatibility with accessories.

historianx

Jay Jenner wrote:

Indeed, where are they all? You hardly ever see an E5 on eBay and when they pop up they go for high prices. Maybe people are just keeping them. I do like my E3 a lot but want that extra sharpness of the E5 so am actively looking for one.

I think there are spurts, feb and early march were the most Ive seen in awhile.

historianx
Re: New E-5's no longer available?

dave gaines wrote:

I have been looking for listings of the E-5 new in stores for a few weeks now. I didn't check all of my usual sources today, but this week I still find it is not available at The Olympus America Store or Adorama. I do see it still at B&H Photo.

Does this mean it is just on back order from the factory? Or does it mean Olympus is clearing out all the old stock of E-5 before releasing a new E-7 body? When they released the E-5, the E-3 was still available in a few stores, almost everywhere, and the price quickly dropped from $1700 to around $1100, IIRC. Someone had to pay for that loss in retail value.

Is it available in Europe, Australia and the UK? What does this all mean?

Dave, Amazon always has them, and I have seen the price go as low as $1499--but that's rare.  And I am kinda bummed Wolf Camera went under, that's where I bought both of my low-shutter E-3 demos a few years back for about half of what they were new.

SirSeth
SirSeth Veteran Member • Posts: 9,946

Thanks for the feedback. Better DR, LCD, lower noise sounds good to me. Do you find output sharper as well? Is contrast and color preserved better at high ISO too? I sometimes use 1600 ISO with my E-3 as I find that noise reduction software is getting better these days and will continue to improve.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Dana Scott
Dana Scott Regular Member • Posts: 148

I spent a lot of Feb/March looking on Amazon and eBay for an E-5.  I had one and was outbid in the last 10 seconds..

I found an old listing here on dpreview of a nice guy from Ontario that was selling his with the batter grip/books/cards/batteries..  I got it all for 1175.

Dana Scott's gear list:Dana Scott's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Nikon D750 Sony Alpha a7 II +10 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,185

David Stinson wrote:

I spent a lot of Feb/March looking on Amazon and eBay for an E-5.  I had one and was outbid in the last 10 seconds..

I found an old listing here on dpreview of a nice guy from Ontario that was selling his with the batter grip/books/cards/batteries..  I got it all for 1175.

Sounds like a good value....enjoy the camera and accessories. 

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads