bhphotovideo site

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions
JohnJ851 Regular Member • Posts: 482
Re: bhphotovideo site

I don't really care about religion, I'm not religious in any shape or form.

No sheltered life either.

And I still think it was a stupid comment.

JohnJ

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,792

JohnJ851 wrote:

JohnJ

One doesn't need be religious to simply be aware of religious customs, especially if you're patronizing one of the most popular photography retail stores in the US.

Re: B&H is the best

jedinstvo wrote:

I've been dealing with them since the early 80s and have never had a problem. Always good service. The closings are not a problem.

My father used to tell how his grandfather went into town to buy something at the hardware store....at 5 in the morning. He couldn't believe they weren't open. "They're losing lots of business!" said the old farmer.

Here in NJ some towns have something called "Blue laws" that prevents businesses from being open on Sunday except specific times of the year (typically from Thanksgiving to just before Christmas).  It doesn't seem to hurt their business either.

JTuuti Forum Member • Posts: 62

In the US you'd expect everyone to indeed know what Passover is.  But this is an international forum -- most Asians and many Europeans are unfamiliar with the term.

richarddd
richarddd Senior Member • Posts: 2,982

JTuuti wrote:

In the US you'd expect everyone to indeed know what Passover is.  But this is an international forum -- most Asians and many Europeans are unfamiliar with the term.

Google search has worked every time I've been to Asia and Europe in recent years.   I'd expect everyone not living under a rock to do a google search before starting a forum thread.

According to the DPR profile, the OP lives in the US

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
JTuuti Forum Member • Posts: 62

So now you are not allowed to ask a question in DPR forums if the answer is to be found by googling!!!  Hmmm... that would kill about 100% of the threads.

Furthermore, the ppl in this branch having been slammed for 'Having lived under the rock' are 1) No location given, 2) Brisbane Australia.

These kinds of comments are uncalled for, and really show just the kind of insensitivity you'd expect from ppl who know nothing but their own little corner of the world. In an international forum, you need to be able to comprehend that other peoples have all their own set of things they take for granted.

richarddd
richarddd Senior Member • Posts: 2,982

JTuuti wrote:

So now you are not allowed to ask a question in DPR forums if the answer is to be found by googling!!!  Hmmm... that would kill about 100% of the threads.

That would be an excellent rule, especially when the issue (passover) is not related to digital photography, which is the forum topic.  It would eliminate a lot of noise.

Furthermore, the ppl in this branch having been slammed for 'Having lived under the rock' are 1) No location given, 2) Brisbane Australia.

The OP is from the US

These kinds of comments are uncalled for, and really show just the kind of insensitivity you'd expect from ppl who know nothing but their own little corner of the world. In an international forum, you need to be able to comprehend that other peoples have all their own set of things they take for granted.

Is simple research limited to the US?  Are google, wikipedia, etc. blocked in your little corner of the world?

I'd like to take for granted that people are capable of doing 15 seconds worth of research, but experience shows it would be a major mistake to think that.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
SkiHound Senior Member • Posts: 2,941

I've done quite a lot of business with B & H and have only had good experiences. They are knowledgeable and helpful on the phone. One salesman even talked me out of buying a particular bag which I had called specifically to order. Shipments have always been very prompt. Yes they observe the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. I've purchased less stuff from Adorama but have always had very good experiences with them as well.

-- hide signature --

www.bjaphotos.smugmug.com

gfspencer Contributing Member • Posts: 517

One advantage to dealing with B&H . . . if you are in New York City on a Sunday their store is open.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
mailman88
mailman88 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,785
Re: Its about Faith...

Faith in religion....never let me down!

Faith in B&H Photo.....never let me down!

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Mahmoud Mousef Senior Member • Posts: 2,604

gfspencer wrote:

One advantage to dealing with B&H . . . if you are in New York City on a Sunday their store is open.

sounds like heaven to me

(sorry, I had to throw that in)

Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,795

JTuuti wrote:

Hard to believe considering that Asia and Europe both have excellent schools and extremely intelligent people.

Just the same, I bow to your expertise and apologize if I insulted anyone.

Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,682

I don't mind.  If I'm not in a big hurry for something or found a much better deal elsewhere (and that doesn't happen much) I'd buy from them, or wait to.  They're a fine establishment and a good place to spend your hard earned money.

There are things in life that are more important to some people than being open 24/7.  Good on them for recognizing that, and living what they believe.

Quote:

"The business is owned by Herman Schreiber. Schreiber and many of the store's employees are observant Satmar Hasidic Jews who close the store on Shabbat and Jewish holidays except for Hanukkah (Jewish law does not prohibit work during that holiday, except during Shabbat itself). The Web site is open, but orders are not taken or shipped between Friday evening and Saturday evening and on Jewish holidays."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%26H_Photo_Video

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +15 more
DavidMaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,975
Blue laws

"Blue Laws" have historically hurt the businesses of observant Jews, who can't open Saturdays for reasons of their own religion, but on Sunday when they can work, they are prohibited from being open because of "Blue laws" protecting the businesses of those who observe Sabbath on Sunday but still open on Saturday instead.

Powerful business interests lobbying in state, county, and municipal governments have worked for generations to protect against *fair* competition, getting to the point of legalized discrimination couched as a religion-neutral "enforcement of uniform day of rest for workers".

Bergen County, NJ, is one of the last maintainers of the most extensive sets of Blue laws, (the town of Paramus in the county especially), while  ironically having a relatively large observant Jewish population, though not large enough, it seems to counter with votes the monied interests who work to preserve Blue laws despite Gov. Chris Christie trying to repeal the blue laws.

It seems to me that Blue laws must have prevented or hurt, to some degree, employment in NJ, as the businesses of observant Jews have tended to go to or stay in NY, as a result. Observant Jews rarely venture to live in new communities, because of the need to walk to (existing) synagogues instead of instead of driving on the Sabbath which is prohibited, the need to recite daily prayers in a quorum of 10 other Jews, and the need to be close to reasonable supplies of kosher food, all of which, in a self-reinforcing system, tend to be concentrated in areas where there are large numbers of observant Jews who build and operate synagogues and businesses like kosher supermarkets.

Sunday Blue laws inherently and plainly favor some religions over others. I'm no lawyer, so I don't know if the Supreme Court has taken up the issue before or sent the cases back to the state level.

-- hide signature --

Galleries: http://www.dheller.net
“The sheer ease with which we can produce a superficial image often leads to creative disaster.” -- Ansel Adams

Re: Wow! So many replies!

shuttervelocity wrote:

thanks and if I remotely, even remotely came across as offending anyone, I sincerely, truly apologize.

I admire you for having the guts to say anything remotely critical of B&H, hehe. That gets the B&H fanboys worked up into a lather! (which is basically most of the internet).

mgd43 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,322

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

shuttervelocity wrote:

thanks and if I remotely, even remotely came across as offending anyone, I sincerely, truly apologize.

I admire you for having the guts to say anything remotely critical of B&H, hehe. That gets the B&H fanboys worked up into a lather! (which is basically most of the interne

B&H has loyal customers because they deserve them. I've been a customer of theirs since the early 1980's and I've never had a bad experience. I've even gotten good advice from them. If that makes me a fan-boy then so be it.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
JohnJ851 Regular Member • Posts: 482

Mark B. wrote:

JohnJ851 wrote:

JohnJ

One doesn't need be religious to simply be aware of religious customs, especially if you're patronizing one of the most popular photography retail stores in the US.

Are you suggesting that non religious people should learn different religious customs because we wanna buy on a website?

If I can't buy from a website because they have some religious holiday I just wait till they open again.

It's pretty simple.

As I said above I'm not interested in religion.

JohnJ

I'm a fanboy too; don't worry

Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,795

JohnJ851 wrote:

Are you suggesting that non religious people should learn different religious customs because we wanna buy on a website?

If I can't buy from a website because they have some religious holiday I just wait till they open again.

It's pretty simple.

JohnJ

A lot of world history centers around religion. There aren't many Jewish people in Australia (less than 100,000) but did you know that other than Israel, Australia is the only country in the world whose founders include Jews?

I'm probably not considered very religious but I have to admit that I think religion and how it's affected the world is very interesting.

You simply can't be exposed to world history without being exposed to religion.

JohnJ851 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

JohnJ851 wrote:

JohnJ

It's pretty simple.

JohnJ

You've missed the point.  A little ignorance goes a long way I guess.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads