Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Louno Regular Member • Posts: 101
Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

I just bought a NEX-3N and saw the "ad" when I plugged the camera...?

 Louno's gear list:Louno's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-3N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ahmad Alnusif Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

Do you mean on your mobile or on your pc?

I installed it on my android mobile and found it very useful to transfer photos directly from the nex-6 to my mobile using wifi.

 Ahmad Alnusif's gear list:Ahmad Alnusif's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 350D +11 more
Yezariael Contributing Member • Posts: 574
Re: Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

As far as I know the 3N has no wireless function, so I would say: No.

I have the NEX-6 and only installed the software from Sony because it's a must to get the pictures to my notebook over wireless directly from the camera...

 Yezariael's gear list:Yezariael's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 35mm F1.4 G +7 more
wblink
wblink Regular Member • Posts: 229
Re: Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

Yezariael wrote:

As far as I know the 3N has no wireless function, so I would say: No.

I have the NEX-6 and only installed the software from Sony because it's a must to get the pictures to my notebook over wireless directly from the camera...

You don't use it with the app "Intelligent Remote" to take pictures through your Sony from your IPad or IPhone or Android?

-- hide signature --

Willem.
Sony NEX-6

 wblink's gear list:wblink's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 +1 more
pmow
pmow Contributing Member • Posts: 821
Re: Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the computer app do something better than the mobile ones?

 pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Yezariael Contributing Member • Posts: 574
Re: Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

pmow wrote:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the computer app do something better than the mobile ones?

When once connected via USB to your computer and playmemories (only 1 time necessary to connect the cam and the computer) you are able to send the pictures on the cam over wireless directly to your computer (there's a menu "send to computer" on your camera settings in view mode). So I don't have to take the SD card out and put it into a reader. It's the only thing Playmemories is good for in my eyes

With the app on the camera you can use it as wireless trigger, it's something completely different.

 Yezariael's gear list:Yezariael's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 35mm F1.4 G +7 more
Ahmad Alnusif Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

wblink wrote:

Yezariael wrote:

As far as I know the 3N has no wireless function, so I would say: No.

I have the NEX-6 and only installed the software from Sony because it's a must to get the pictures to my notebook over wireless directly from the camera...

You don't use it with the app "Intelligent Remote" to take pictures through your Sony from your IPad or IPhone or Android?

-- hide signature --

Willem.
Sony NEX-6

That's another reason to install the app if your camera supports this feature.

 Ahmad Alnusif's gear list:Ahmad Alnusif's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 350D +11 more
erringtont
erringtont Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

Yezariael wrote:

pmow wrote:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the computer app do something better than the mobile ones?

When once connected via USB to your computer and playmemories (only 1 time necessary to connect the cam and the computer) you are able to send the pictures on the cam over wireless directly to your computer (there's a menu "send to computer" on your camera settings in view mode). So I don't have to take the SD card out and put it into a reader. It's the only thing Playmemories is good for in my eyes

With the app on the camera you can use it as wireless trigger, it's something completely different.

Just be aware that the transfer is very, very slow and only into the Playmemories application. I tried it once transferring about 50 raw shots. It worked, but then you still need to import to LR or what ever other workflow environment you use. I'll continue to use my card reader.

 erringtont's gear list:erringtont's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
Yezariael Contributing Member • Posts: 574
Re: Is it worth it to install playmemories ?

erringtont wrote:

Just be aware that the transfer is very, very slow and only into the Playmemories application. I tried it once transferring about 50 raw shots. It worked, but then you still need to import to LR or what ever other workflow environment you use. I'll continue to use my card reader.

Slow yes, but you can choose the folder where it shall be transferred to on your computer (so it's not only "in the application").... For occasional transfer it's fine, but not if you have 2 weeks of holiday pictures to download

 Yezariael's gear list:Yezariael's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 35mm F1.4 G +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads