Anybody use the m zuiko 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 on a PEN?

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Questions
kangaroo in oz Regular Member • Posts: 144
Anybody use the m zuiko 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 on a PEN?

hi everyone,

i've been waiting for the price of the OMD-em5  to come down a bit   and i already have an EP-L1   and i have seen the 12-50mm lens on sale for $250

I was just wondering how it performs on the older pen bodies?  I know the lens has a macro function which works on the OMD..  will that macro function work on the PENS as well?

I thought the 12-50mm lens is a probably better lens than the 14-42mm kit lens on my EP-L1  so i could use it for a while  until i get a good deal on an OMD body..

Any thoughts?

Cheers

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Ulric Veteran Member • Posts: 4,535
Re: Anybody use the m zuiko 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 on a PEN?

The 12-50 won't be much of an improvement over the 14-42. It gets a little wider and longer and has "sort of macro" (not 1:1) and weather sealing which is of questionable use without a weather sealed body. IQ will be about the same.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Pikme Senior Member • Posts: 2,176

Ulric wrote:

The 12-50 won't be much of an improvement over the 14-42.

Don't know about the 14-42 II, but my 12-50 is vastly improved over the original 14-42 that came with my EP2.  It is sharper, but more noticeably has better contrast and color, and the focus is much faster and quieter. The focus speed/sound difference is easily noticeable, although not quite as fast as with my EM5. And the macro function allows you to shoot close ups that you can't do with the 14-42.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

toporossa Regular Member • Posts: 127

I use the 12-50mm with the E-PL1 and it performs as it should: macro function works flawlessly, autofocus is clearly faster than with the original kit lens, 12mm wide end is a nice-to-have and you also save yourself the collapsible design of the kit zoom  - therefore it's quite a bit longer when not in use. I can't see big differences in optical performance between the two lenses.

The only thing that doesn't work is the additional programmable button for camera functions, at least i didn't find a way to get it work, but on other lenses there isn't such a button from the outset.

OniMirage Contributing Member • Posts: 990

kangaroo in oz wrote:

hi everyone,

i've been waiting for the price of the OMD-em5  to come down a bit   and i already have an EP-L1   and i have seen the 12-50mm lens on sale for $250

I was just wondering how it performs on the older pen bodies?  I know the lens has a macro function which works on the OMD..  will that macro function work on the PENS as well?

I thought the 12-50mm lens is a probably better lens than the 14-42mm kit lens on my EP-L1  so i could use it for a while  until i get a good deal on an OMD body..

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Just to point out one thing, there aren't any body specific lenses out there further than the compatible mount. A lens function will always work regardless so you don't have to worry about that. Have fun!

There can be some minor differences though, like you can't use lens stabilisation of some Panasonic lenses (those without on/of switch) with Olympus cameras - they have IBIS, but that doesn't work well with video (with the exception OM 5axis IBIS). Or that software corrections are different, like no correction of chromatic aberrations in Oly bodies. But ok, i have to admit that's nitpicking...

OniMirage Contributing Member • Posts: 990

toporossa wrote:

There can be some minor differences though, like you can't use lens stabilisation of some Panasonic lenses (those without on/of switch) with Olympus cameras - they have IBIS, but that doesn't work well with video (with the exception OM 5axis IBIS). Or that software corrections are different, like no correction of chromatic aberrations in Oly bodies. But ok, i have to admit that's nitpicking...

You can you just turn off IS on the camera. The lens IS will then work just like it needs to.

OK, I've read some comments that say the opposite - I don't own one of these lenses and I wouldn't even know how to proof or disproof that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads