First real attempt at bird photography, C&C welcome

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
ThomCull Regular Member • Posts: 142
First real attempt at bird photography, C&C welcome

Bought a new 50D (to me) and finally tried some higher ISO bird photography, here are my results. Please feel free to C&C them, it won't offend me

Canon EOS 50D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dw113 Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: First real attempt at bird photography, C&C welcome

Nicely done.

dw113's gear list:dw113's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +5 more
old age adventurers Regular Member • Posts: 156

Charming pictures

Moving to your right wouldrhave temoved attention detracting branches in background  in picture 1. I would like to have similarly seen a bit more bird in picture 3. Try to include feet next time i.e. picture 2

Excellent start with warm colors & water color bokeh

-- hide signature --

Old age adventurers
www.africaraw.com
http://blog.africaraw.com

kayaker353 Contributing Member • Posts: 890
A thought

For picture 1, you could clone out the offending branch and greatly improve the image.  The bird, itself, is nice and worth the effort.

kayaker353's gear list:kayaker353's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
dock
dock Veteran Member • Posts: 4,762

Welcome to our forum nice pictures for you first try. at 200mm you were very close. he pictures are quite sharp for slow shutter speeds. In the first picture, if you are a pureist, then leave the branch alone or you can spend 3 minutes in photoshop and take the branch out. Personally, I would only take out the light trap in the upper right corner. It took only 4 minutes to remove both. Use your healing tool select an area you want to duplicate. Hold down the alt key and left click on the area, then hold own the left mouse and drag a little bigger circle on the branch from the right to the left but stop just before the bird the whole area you drag will turn black when you stop it will heal that area with shade selected. do the same on the left side. Now magnify the bird to 400% with the clone tool slowly clone the branch away from the head without touching the bird. (USING A small circle )
Remember , If you cut into the bird stop and click edit and select undo if that did not work go to history and remove last step.  I would always divide your pictures in nine parts trying to keep your subject on one of the intersections of the vertical lines and horizontal always give your subject more room near the head to move into

second picture I agree with removing the birds feet. If you do move in and create a head and shoulder portrait.

third picture this picture you did what I said to do in the second

How close were You?

REMEMBER TO NEVER TOUCH YOUR ORIGINAL ALWAYS SAVE NEW ADDITIONS IN A DIFFERENT NAME I USUALLY STICK A LETTER OR NUMBER AT THE END OF MY FILE.

OP ThomCull Regular Member • Posts: 142

Thanks for the example, I must admit my skills in Photoshop aren't what they used to be. I'll need to take some time and work on the image. The first two we about 3-4 ft away, the third I was about 7-8 feet, maybe less.

dock

YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE SUCH A SET UP ARE YOU ABLE TO SHOOT WITHOUT A WINDOW

Honestly, I'm using a Sigma 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 with OS on the 50D. I'm really eyeing the 100-400mm for the extra reach, there was a horned-owl I just couldn't get to with the 200mm to make a picture worth taking. These are all hand held while walking through the provincial parks off the path.

dock

You are doing well walking a park I never seem to get birds close enough much less with 200mm

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,085

Your first attempt worked out pretty great.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

Thank you very much, it's greatly appreciated

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads