Anyone jump ship to the D7100 yet?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
garyknrd Contributing Member • Posts: 789
Re: Anyone jump ship to the D7100 yet?

I wish Canon would do something. Good, bad, or ugly... LOL

I quit using the 7D, but not because of the sensor. The AF was giving me fits.

I'm a waiten...

Love the Canon glass what a pleasure to use...

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM
giraffe Senior Member • Posts: 2,461
Tempting but no

Too much invested in Canon glass. The 7D is a fantastic camera and at this level of camera its not the camera but the photographer that gets great photos. I must admit I really like the Nikon D800 specs. Heres hoping that Canon will come out with a killer 7Dii.

-- hide signature --

Bert D

Suave Senior Member • Posts: 1,568

Heard John W. Lindh did.

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
nikkorwatcher Contributing Member • Posts: 684
Re: Grass isn't greener, but the Nikon can record it properly

Scott Eaton wrote:

I've complained endlessly about Canon dSLR's, especially the 7D and 60D having terrible color accuracy compared to Nikon counterparts. Even the 7100 does a better job

Curious. I could pull more credible colour from Canon compared to Nikon when shot at a very wrong white balance under artificial lighting. I'm not surprised if issues occur with the red channel. Noise in the red channel at high ISO was very prominent on the earlier 10D-50D line.

Paul B Jones
Paul B Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,774
Grass Never Greener

Anyone thinking of switching from Canon to Nikon or Nikon to Canon should spend some time reading the other brand's respective forums on DPR.

From forum comments it becomes quickly apparent that both Canon and Nikon are terrible companies that routinely betray their customers with ancient sensors, shabby construction, ridiculous prices and terrible repair service.

The only solution is to give up photography.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

Scott Eaton wrote:

I've complained endlessly about Canon dSLR's, especially the 7D and 60D having terrible color accuracy compared to Nikon counterparts. Even the 7100 does a better job. Any mention of Dx0Mark here is like a critic on Rotten Tomatoes daring to bad mouth a Batman movie. Dx0 is right...7D fans are simply irrational.

For scenic or commercial work both the 7D and the 60D blow strong colors, and are too much of an annoyance to bother profiling. Friends who shoot Nikon for commercial work don't laugh at me, they pity me. However, no matter what criticism is aimed at Canon for having some pretty weak sensor performance the brand is defended here with near fanatical delusion. I'll post an example from Dpreview's own comparisons of the 7D -vs- a 7100.

Gee, why is the 7D turning the strong red in the ball too utter sludge like a 1995 consumer print film?  Why even bother using a RAW / AdobeRGB workflow when the red channel is dumping blown garbage. The 60D is actually better....but not too much better. All of the recent consumer end Nikons I've tried do a substantially better job with color accuracy, especially with high gamut warm colors. Strong reds and megentas are a joke. Go to digital imaging resource or any other site. Watch the 7100 destroy the 7D when it comes to orange or red fabrics. You can only imagine what it's doing to fleshtones, but if you're a wedding or portait shooter who needs a crutch stay with Canon to warm skin tones for you. Curious what our mod here or Carl G will invent to defend this.

Oh wait, I forgot. Canon users don't care about such things. Kind of like my 60D not being able to record blue right with Canon DPP. Why is the 7D called a professional camera again? Oh yeah, because it has fast AF and Canon users say it is.

DPReview studio shots are taken using Canon's Standard Picture Style.

The only annoyance and  bother to correct it, is changing to the Neutral Picture Style, either in camera or in DPP.

Any actual Canon users who want to test it, simply download the RAW file from DPReview, open it and DPP and change the Picture Style from Standard to Neutral or Faithful.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
Re: Grass Never Greener

If you really like a specific feature of one brand, simply get both brands...and be done.  Quite a few ppl do that, and why not if $ is not a big deterent.  And then we can even fit different lenses on ea one...to suit all the best features of ea as needed.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,377
many that jump ship,.

Many people that jump ship end up drowning or getting right back in the ship they jumped from because the water was too cold.

katman68 Regular Member • Posts: 487
Ha!

The Nikon 7100 is incapable of doing what I use & bought my 7D for in the first place. 3 years later, Nikon still hasn't built an equal to the 7D. It also is a Nikon, which has a much less user-friendly interface in my experience than a Canon.

For those that think Canon's Q or service leaves something to be desired, go try Nikon's. And I'm speaking from a friend's experience w/$5-6000 bodies, including a NIB $6000 D4 where apparently the "paint guy" forgot to thoroughly spray the body. It had a nickel-sized bare metal spot just below the viewfinder. Wisely, wondering what ELSE Nikon forgot she returned it to B & H. My friend has likely bought $25,000 in Nikon gear, yet their response was she'd have to get back on the waiting list(she'd already waited several mths). I can only imagine how it is w/their "cheap" cameras. Nope, grass ain't greener on the other side from where I'm standing!

Cheers,

Mark

It's April...where's the 70D ??

nt.

MisterPootieCat
MisterPootieCat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,123
Faithful Picture Style

There are a few tools available to prevent blowing out the red channel. One would be proper use of the RGB histogram to minimize overexposing the reds, another would be to use the Faithful Picture Style. I find using just these two features eliminate any advantages of switching to Nikon bodies.

In real world shooting I just don't see the Canon sensor as being hopelessly crippled. There are times when I'm shooting bright red flowers or berries and simply switch to the Faithful PS and monitor the histogram. And I rarely see much discussion of Canon sensors mangling flesh tones. I do see Nikon owners complaining about a green cast in portraits though.

When I download and view the DPR RAW studio shots it looks like the red channel is a bit too far to the right for my tastes, and switching the PS puts everything back where it should be.

YMMW.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +24 more
MisterPootieCat
MisterPootieCat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,123

TTMartin wrote:

DPReview studio shots are taken using Canon's Standard Picture Style.

The only annoyance and  bother to correct it, is changing to the Neutral Picture Style, either in camera or in DPP.

Any actual Canon users who want to test it, simply download the RAW file from DPReview, open it and DPP and change the Picture Style from Standard to Neutral or Faithful.

I find the Faithful PS does a better job of preserving the reds, Neutral PS would be a close second.

But have to agree, the blown out reds are easy enough to correct for in-camera and in post.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +24 more
AndraM Regular Member • Posts: 244
Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN...

EJ Fudd wrote:

Photography, It ain't the same old Art form it used to be..

I was thinking along the same lines. We seem to be spending so much time talking about gear specifications, we're not concentrating on improving our skills.

I've seen many an outstanding picture taken with a P&S and mediocre pictures taken with expensive FF. When composition and subject are done well, the quality (or lack thereof) becomes secondary if considered at all.

It's like when we read a good book. How often do we stop to parse every word the author uses, the font or page layout? We don't because the writer studied his craft so well, he/she managed to make those words disappear in favor of the story.

As photographers, we need to do the same. We need to make the technical specifications of the camera and lens disappear in favor of subject and composition.

Yes, good gear helps, because we don't want to limit ourselves. It should be considered less important, however, than striving for excellence in skill.

That said, as others have stated, changing from one brand of camera to another is in some ways like starting over. There's not only the cost involved, but also having to take the time to learn an entirely new system. It'd be like going from an Apple to a Microsoft PC and expect better results regardless of what we create with it.

Then again, if someone is completely unhappy with whatever brand they currently use, and cost is no consideration, by all means, jump ship.

Sermon over

AndraM's gear list:AndraM's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
elfroggio
MOD elfroggio Senior Member • Posts: 2,885

AndraM wrote:

I've seen many an outstanding picture taken with a P&S and mediocre pictures taken with expensive FF. When composition and subject are done well, the quality (or lack thereof) becomes secondary if considered at all.

The most important is not the light, the lenses, the cameras or even the photographers (I'm semi-cheating when I say the photographers), it's access. You don't have access, you will not make the photos.

An emotional photo from a good subject will beat anything. Cameras, lenses, light..

Look at the just this week. The New York Times published a photo of Alex Rodriguez by Nick Laham a professional photographer taken with his iPhone/Instagram. He's a pro and send the images taken with a "real camera" and his iPhone. NYT chose the iPhone/Instagram because of the emotional impact.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

elfroggio wrote:

AndraM wrote:

The most important is not the light, the lenses, the cameras or even the photographers (I'm semi-cheating when I say the photographers), it's access. You don't have access, you will not make the photos.

An emotional photo from a good subject will beat anything. Cameras, lenses, light..

Look at the just this week. The New York Times published a photo of Alex Rodriguez by Nick Laham a professional photographer taken with his iPhone/Instagram. He's a pro and send the images taken with a "real camera" and his iPhone. NYT chose the iPhone/Instagram because of the emotional impact.

"have access"....that is important for sure.

altair8800 Senior Member • Posts: 1,885
Re: Grass Never Greener

Paul B Jones wrote:

Anyone thinking of switching from Canon to Nikon or Nikon to Canon should spend some time reading the other brand's respective forums on DPR.

From forum comments it becomes quickly apparent that both Canon and Nikon are terrible companies that routinely betray their customers with ancient sensors, shabby construction, ridiculous prices and terrible repair service.

The only solution is to give up photography.

Do not give up photography. Build your own! If Canon waits too long on the 7DII, I may stuff the OMD sensor and electronics into the EOS 3.

Dan

altair8800 Senior Member • Posts: 1,885
Grass could be Greener

jonrobertp wrote:

If you really like a specific feature of one brand, simply get both brands...and be done.

Or three brands. I have 7D and E-3, so maybe D400 also.

Dan

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,208

I shoot with both Canon and Nikon cameras, so there is no jumping ship. My working pair of 7D cameras are still doing quite well, thanks. I am curious about the 7D Mark II, but there is no hurry. Everyone seems to be very much concerned about performance at high ISO in low light, but with several good flashguns available, plus fast lenses, things are quite good at this time.

Admittedly, I did consider a range of DSLR camera options, based upon my available buying power, but opted, instead, to acquire Nikon SB-910 and Canon 600EX-RT flashguns, and I will be checking on some pre-owned lenses.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +49 more
bunshee New Member • Posts: 2

Definitely not! Modefotografie auf BUCLE

Telhma Regular Member • Posts: 391
Re: Ha!

The D4 looks awsome in the dark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads