Getting The DPP Look In Lightroom ?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
Bright Angel Veteran Member • Posts: 4,839
Getting The DPP Look In Lightroom ?

Newbie post:

I've been using Lightroom for a few months with the 5D3.

15 mins ago, I thought I'd try out DPP.

It looks a basic interface, but, just loading up one image as a test, DPP just makes the photo look better than Lr, without making any adjustments in either program (better reds for example).

(Obviously my camera settings have been applied).

Question:

Is it possible to get the look of DDP in Lr, maybe download and install in profile in Lr.

Below is a side by side screen grab to illustrate.

Thanks for any info.

-- hide signature --

www.MarkSykesPhotography.co.uk

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
erbtype Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: Getting The DPP Look In Lightroom ?

I don't use LR but I do find that pictures run through Camera Raw into PS have a slight grey 'screen' to them, almost as if someone is holding a very, very fine sheet of tracing paper over the picture, which I fix using the Levels panel (CTRL-L) and a tiny tweak in the Hue/Saturation panel (CTRL-U). It may be down to my in-camera settings (1DMkIV, contrast -1) but I find the default in-camera settings too strong (for my taste at least).

Basically experiment until you find the settings you like which best represent the moment as you captured it.

OP Bright Angel Veteran Member • Posts: 4,839
Re: Getting The DPP Look In Lightroom ?

erbtype wrote:

I don't use LR but I do find that pictures run through Camera Raw into PS have a slight grey 'screen' to them, almost as if someone is holding a very, very fine sheet of tracing paper over the picture, which I fix using the Levels panel (CTRL-L) and a tiny tweak in the Hue/Saturation panel (CTRL-U). It may be down to my in-camera settings (1DMkIV, contrast -1) but I find the default in-camera settings too strong (for my taste at least).

Basically experiment until you find the settings you like which best represent the moment as you captured it.

Thanks for the reply

-- hide signature --

www.MarkSykesPhotography.co.uk

nekrosoft13 Regular Member • Posts: 450
Re: Getting The DPP Look In Lightroom ?

Bright Angel wrote:

Newbie post:

I've been using Lightroom for a few months with the 5D3.

15 mins ago, I thought I'd try out DPP.

It looks a basic interface, but, just loading up one image as a test, DPP just makes the photo look better than Lr, without making any adjustments in either program (better reds for example).

(Obviously my camera settings have been applied).

Question:

Is it possible to get the look of DDP in Lr, maybe download and install in profile in Lr.

Below is a side by side screen grab to illustrate.

Thanks for any info.

-- hide signature --

www.MarkSykesPhotography.co.uk

one of the "problems" is that LR does not take real camera profile into account. It tries to emulate the default levels of each camera profile, but if you made adjustment to them in your camera lightroom will not pick those up.

instead it will just load a real true RAW image.

 nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony a6500 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
philmar Senior Member • Posts: 2,175
Re: Getting The DPP Look In Lightroom ?

I think there are DPP-look profiles out there that you can use like a preset. If I recall you may have to pay for them (someone has gone to the bother of creating them).

Every once Iin a while I play with DPP to see what results I can achieve. In the end I stick with LR because I love using presets, the incredible local adjustment tools, virtual copies, file management and the user interface blows DPP out of the water.

I may have a better starting point with DPP but i don't care. it is where I end up that's more important. DPP may give you a better head start but I find LR still gets me to my end product faster.

-- hide signature --

-----------------
Phil M. - Toronto, Canada
Time to kill? Then have a look at a few of my photos, including one published by National Geographic : http://www.flickriver.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/

 philmar's gear list:philmar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
bhollis
bhollis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,422
Re: Getting The DPP Look In Lightroom ?

What I'm seeing in the DPP pic is a little more saturation and contrast.  Easy enough to change in LR.  You can create a user preset in LR to make these kinds of changes.

Bob Gates
Bob Gates Senior Member • Posts: 1,495
Re: Getting The DPP Look In Lightroom ?
2

Before doing anything else, set the LR profile to the same as your in camera setting that DPP picks up and uses (e.g. "Camera Neutral," "Camera Landscape," "Camera Standard," etc.) and compare the results.  These profiles should show up under "Camera Calibration," you don't need to download them.

-- hide signature --

Bob Gates, Jamesville, NY USA
http://bobgatesphoto.com

 Bob Gates's gear list:Bob Gates's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
OP Bright Angel Veteran Member • Posts: 4,839
** Thank You All Very Much **

Bob Gates wrote:

Before doing anything else, set the LR profile to the same as your in camera setting that DPP picks up and uses (e.g. "Camera Neutral," "Camera Landscape," "Camera Standard," etc.) and compare the results.  These profiles should show up under "Camera Calibration," you don't need to download them.

-- hide signature --

Bob Gates, Jamesville, NY USA
http://bobgatesphoto.com

Thank you all very much and thank you Bob

Your method does the trick.

I can fine tune it if needed (bringing down the red and orange in the HSL sliders, for the example shown above).

-- hide signature --

www.MarkSykesPhotography.co.uk

Zee Char Forum Pro • Posts: 14,765
Re: ** Thank You All Very Much **

Bright Angel wrote:

Bob Gates wrote:

Before doing anything else, set the LR profile to the same as your in camera setting that DPP picks up and uses (e.g. "Camera Neutral," "Camera Landscape," "Camera Standard," etc.) and compare the results.  These profiles should show up under "Camera Calibration," you don't need to download them.

-- hide signature --

Bob Gates, Jamesville, NY USA
http://bobgatesphoto.com

Thank you all very much and thank you Bob

Your method does the trick.

I can fine tune it if needed (bringing down the red and orange in the HSL sliders, for the example shown above).

-- hide signature --

www.MarkSykesPhotography.co.uk

I used to hate Adobe colours. They have come a long way in the last few years and the addition of camera profiles makes it even better. I did some tests a while ago. Both DPP and LR are set to faithful. Pretty close.

 Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads