Fujifilm better than sony?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
alpha90290
alpha90290 Regular Member • Posts: 255
Sales man's perspective - more commission $$$ = better

The sales man will try to sell you the most expensive system so that he could earn more commission $$$.

Therefore, any brand with high profit margin and could let him earn huge commission is better than other brands.

Sales man is not the suitable person to ask for advice.

docvale Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: Fujifilm better than sony?

thenewcameraguy wrote:

So I went to a different store today that had both cameras and my wife said she likes the Nex 6 better and Fuji doesn't have as good of a grip. So I will be buying nex 6 since my wife has the 5r. Thanks everyone for help.

I remember we already had a "conversation" about your purchase dilemma... I read between the lines that you'd prefer to own a Fuji: than, just get a Fuji. You'll truly enjoy it, as well as you would enjoy the Sony.

The 2 companies have a different story and use different marketing strategies. Sony has a line-up that goes from the point-and-shoot upgrader to the advanced amateur. Fuji addresses mostly the second category only. Sony, directly or from 3rd parties, has a wide range of lenses, including cheap but good ones (with $600, you get 3 new primes from Sigma), while Fuji has few, very good, expensive lenses.

Theoretically, for a beginner it would be better to invest on Sony: more products with affordable ones, and a good margin of improvement.

For the expert photographer, the Fuji would offer better lenses (at least, according to what you can read online) and a better control-dial location for manual use.

But there's that psychological game that Fuji really won. They created a masterpiece of style that attracts every user. I'm wondering whether Fuji fans would speak of "new Leica" or "affordable Leica" if it were Sony looking like a rangefinder... This is not going to affect the quality of your pictures (and there's beautiful samples from users of both Fuji or Sony), but maybe it might fulfill your desire of ownership.

So, if you desire a Fuji, get a Fuji. In any case, if you're a beginner try to invest some time "studying" how to become a better photographer. There's lots of things to learn, both when shooting and in postproduction.

Gear is important, but skills are more. In my hands, every camera would give the same results. But I'm doing efforts to learn, I "discovered" shooting RAW and editing with LightRoom, and I'm getting better. For now, my Nex5N with kit lens and a Minolta Rokkor 50mm are good enough to have fun and "freeze" nice memories. All the rest is experimenting to get better.

docvale's gear list:docvale's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
kaku Contributing Member • Posts: 681

thenewcameraguy wrote:

So I went to a different store today that had both cameras and my wife said she likes the Nex 6 better and Fuji doesn't have as good of a grip. So I will be buying nex 6 since my wife has the 5r.

Just like the typical man to listen to his wife.

Seriously, you should figure what *you* like and what works for *you* since you'll be using the camera [most] and not your wife.

Febs Contributing Member • Posts: 512

El Matadurr wrote:

thenewcameraguy wrote:

Went to a camera Store today they don't carry nikon or sony but every other brands. The sales guy showed me X-E1 Fuji and he said it's better than nex 6 and it competes with nex 7 and beats nex 7 and I also went to Sony store to see the Nex 6 and 7. Do you guys think Fuji X-E1 competes with nex 7 and it's better? I know Fuji is expensive than both nex so does that makes it better? And the sales guy also told me sony has 5 lenses and they won't release more lens after Thier full frame nex. Is that True? I don't want to buy nex cameras and be stuck with 5 lenses. Either way if I end up with nex I will only have 3 lenses the most. If the sales guy statements are true I'll get Fuji. Please share what you guys think?

You're asking this in a NEX forum, so you'll be getting biased responses, myself included.

The X-E1 is in the same performance bracket as the NEX-6. They both are extremely capable cameras with pros and cons to each. The only area it for sure beats the NEX-7 is low-light performance. However, Fuji's X cameras overstate ISO values my a measurable margin (can't recall the article), so it looks a lot better than it actually is.

Fuji is more expensive because their lenses are really good (with e-mount lenses a bit behind). Pretty much the main reason. However, price doesn't make anything inherently "better".

That salesman is extremely biased against Sony, or is just stupid. There are many lenses for the NEX system (10-18mm, 16mm, 20mm, 24mm, 30mm macro, 35mm, 50mm, and multiple zooms), and a few more third-party lenses as well. They also plan to continue producing new lenses, even though they haven't confirmed/denied any FF NEX rumors.

If you will only end up with three lenses though...why does it matter?

My 2 cents, I have the NEX-7 and have tried out the X-Pro 1 and X-E1. Didn't like the handling of either. Images looked pretty good, though.

matthewdurrphotography.com

Hi there,

I'm a sony shooter but have the Fuji X-E1 as well. From my experience the Fuji has great colors and is incredibly clean at high iso. Better than any NEX. The weakness of the Fuji is it's slow autofocus and a movie mode that leaves much to desire. It also has less dynamic range than the NEX series cameras.

Greetings, Fabian

Febs's gear list:Febs's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Sony Alpha a99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +5 more
DutchmanPieter2003 Regular Member • Posts: 205

It is the photographer who makes the difference!

DutchmanPieter2003's gear list:DutchmanPieter2003's gear list
Leica M Typ 240
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,934
Of course the Fuji is better

Since the salesman didn't have any Sonys to sell you.

And since they didn't sell Nikons, he probably would have told you that the Fuji is better than a Nikon D800 too.

The word "better" can mean a lot of things:

• better build
  • better image quality
  • better value
  • better weather sealing
  • better lens selection
  • better service
  • better portability
  • better AF speed
  • better exposure accuracy
  • better value for you
  • better profits for the camera store

It is always "better" for a salesman to sell you something he has in stock, then to send you to a competitor so you can buy something that is best for you.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
cplunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,834
Re: Sales man's perspective - more commission $$$ = better

alpha90290 wrote:

The sales man will try to sell you the most expensive system so that he could earn more commission $$$.

Therefore, any brand with high profit margin and could let him earn huge commission is better than other brands.

Sales man is not the suitable person to ask for advice.

What's on the shelf is always better than what isn't offered at that store.

cplunk's gear list:cplunk's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6300 +19 more
kristina604 Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: Sales man's perspective - more commission $$$ = better

thats interesting. if i had the extra money i would go for X-E1. fuji colors is amazing and sony is no match even with 24 CZ.

Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,288

DutchmanPieter2003 wrote:

Right, iPhone works equally great as any DSLR in the "right hand", LOL.

Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,892

The moral of the story is  - only a fool believes everything a slimy  salesman utters.

Caveat Emptor.! 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,658

Dan_168 wrote:

DutchmanPieter2003 wrote:

Right, iPhone works equally great as any DSLR in the "right hand", LOL.

You should see what professional race car drivers can do with ordinary cars.  I think there may be something to the idea that an expert can wring the most out of a gadget, camera included.

As for the iPhone, it's not bad.  I'll use it if it's the only camera handy.

So, do you think that either the Nex or Fuji is better than the other?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
RezaTravilla
RezaTravilla Regular Member • Posts: 308

great gear don't make great photographer.

I have tested the famous X100s, one word: i don't like the autofocus. It's going no where. Better Sony NEX who has, at least, face detection.

So, you have invest on an expensive gear and for focusing you rely on manual focusing? kinda silly to me.

RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Nikon D300S Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more

RezaTravilla wrote:

I have tested the famous X100s, one word: i don't like the autofocus. It's going no where. Better Sony NEX who has, at least, face detection.

So, you have invest on an expensive gear and for focusing you rely on manual focusing? kinda silly to me.

Well, there is a lot of "silly" people out there spent more on Zeiss Manual focus lens to use them on modern SLRs. may be it's only "silly" for some but not the others.

GaryW wrote:

You should see what professional race car drivers can do with ordinary cars.  I think there may be something to the idea that an expert can wring the most out of a gadget, camera included.

Yeah, i should also see what the same professional race car driver can do with the real race car too.

No argument there, if the iphone is my only camera, I would also use it without any hesitation, it's so much better to have a camera than no camera at all, but I also know which one to pick between my D800E, 1DS3,  NEX 7 and iphone if I have a assignment to cover tomorrow, the NEX and iphone is normally not the one, but that's only my personal choice, I am sure there is some talent photographers can do a equally great or even better job with their iphone than their 1Ds and D800 type of cameras.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

Dan_168 wrote:

GaryW wrote:

Yeah, i should also see what the same professional race car driver can do with the real race car too.

No argument there, if the iphone is my only camera, I would also use it without any hesitation, it's so much better to have a camera than no camera at all, but I also know which one to pick between my D800E, 1DS3,  NEX 7 and iphone if I have a assignment to cover tomorrow, the NEX and iphone is normally not the one, but that's only my personal choice, I am sure there is some talent photographers can do a equally great or even better job with their iphone than their 1Ds and D800 type of cameras.

While on the topic of being off topic, there are occasions when carrying something like a D800 or 1Ds would be utter nuisance. An example would be shooting at an NBA game not from the sidelines but from the stands, where your neighbor might not enjoy the sight of your camera and a big lens pulled up on your face. And you may also realize that a 5-6 lb system wasn't a great idea without a monopod/tripod, much less after a few hours of walk around town.

While I was shooting away happily with my NEX-3 on my lap AND watching the game. The dark spot in the lower left corner is a person sitting in front of me.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

Dan_168 wrote:

RezaTravilla wrote:

Well, there is a lot of "silly" people out there spent more on Zeiss Manual focus lens to use them on modern SLRs. may be it's only "silly" for some but not the others.

The next question would be, why wouldn't you buy Zeiss with MF on NEX as opposed to Fuji?

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
CosmoZooo Regular Member • Posts: 452

I must say that 18-55 2.8 does sound very very nice. But what do you think about AF speed and performance?

I seem to recall DigitalRev video comparing nex-7, x-pro1 and om-d and Fuji was the worst of the bunch AF wise.

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

RezaTravilla wrote:

The next question would be, why wouldn't you buy Zeiss with MF on NEX as opposed to Fuji?

My Zeiss MF lesnes was not purchased for neither NEX nor Fuji, they are ZF/ZE for my Nikon and Canon DSLRs, but I do have adapters to use them on NEX 7 because so far I am not too crazy about the NEX lens offering and I do actually use my TSEs and Zeiss and Nikon G lenses on NEX 7 once in a while for fun. by the way, I have never offered my opinion which is "better" between Fuji xxx model vs NEX XXX model.

lowincash
lowincash Contributing Member • Posts: 717

thenewcameraguy wrote:

Went to a camera Store today they don't carry nikon or sony but every other brands. The sales guy showed me X-E1 Fuji and he said it's better than nex 6 and it competes with nex 7 and beats nex 7 and I also went to Sony store to see the Nex 6 and 7. Do you guys think Fuji X-E1 competes with nex 7 and it's better? I know Fuji is expensive than both nex so does that makes it better? And the sales guy also told me sony has 5 lenses and they won't release more lens after Thier full frame nex. Is that True? I don't want to buy nex cameras and be stuck with 5 lenses. Either way if I end up with nex I will only have 3 lenses the most. If the sales guy statements are true I'll get Fuji. Please share what you guys think?

I do think the images from Fuji are better than the Sony ones. However, the Sony NEX system is so versatile. By getting a LA-EA2 adapter and a fast alpha lens, it turns the NEX into a fast DSLR with great IQ. It's like having 2 cameras in one

I have a NEX6 right now and was going to get a used X-E1 with the kit 18-55 lens as a second camera and just use the NEX for manual lenses since it has focus peaking. I really like the Fuji cameras and their great image quality but in the end, I've decided to get the LA-EA2 adapter and the SAL1650 lens for those times where I need fast AF especially indoors. One of the reasons I wanted the X-E1 was because their 18-55 kit lens is pretty fast (f2.8-4) but after trying it at the store I still wasn't satisfy with their so so AF speed. Now by getting the EA2 adapter I'm able to do what the Fuji can't =]

I've went back and forth for a long time, even putting my NEX6 on craigslist for sale to get the Fuji. I'm glad the sale didn't go through. I've went back and forth with so many different camera systems, I've finally decided to stick with the NEX =]

-- hide signature --

I only shoot JPEG =]

lowincash
lowincash Contributing Member • Posts: 717

pevece wrote:

Speak honest? i prefer Olympus OMD EM5. Zuiko lens really a stellar lens. Fuji X-E1 and NEX 6 can have issue when Auto Focus on low light situation.

but, great camera don't make great photographer.

If i have a chance i will switch to OMD but too bad i already invested so many on NEX system

omd-em5 AF is not that good in low light situations and it doesn't have the same tracking facilities as the nex6 . Total focus system of nex6 is better.

there are very nice lenses also available on e-mount, NEX is better if you consider  total image quality certainly  in low light conditions.

Actually the OMD AF is a lot faster than the NEX, even the 6. With phase detection, the 6 is suppose to track moving objects better, but I haven't really found it to be that great at all, it's just slightly faster than the NEX7. I had the OMD for a few months before getting the 6. On the OMD I had the 25/1.4, 45/1.8 and the kit 12-50 lens and AF is almost instant except in low light where it'll hunt a bit but will still manage to lock focus. The NEX6 is pretty similar with the lenses I have right now (18-55 and 55-210). However, both the OMD and NEX6 focuses better than the NEX7 and 24/1.8 combo especially in low light. Nothing scientific, just my experience.

-- hide signature --

I only shoot JPEG =]

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads