Viewfinder grid lines not showing up properly - D700 Also: foggy LCD cause!

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
Figit090 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Viewfinder grid lines not showing up properly - D700 Also: foggy LCD cause!

I purchased a D700 used on ebay, and the seller didn't notice some flaws and advertised it as mint.  I'm sending it back for various reasons, but one of which is a viewfinder issue:

viewfinder lines not showing up or illuminating red

I didn't notice off the bat, but after I took a few shots, it was obvious, the left vertical and 3/4 horizontal grid sections do not show up, or light up red when focusing (others do).  I don't know how the LCD works exactly but since all these lines disappear when the battery is removed, I'm guessing it's a bad grid LCD display (like a watch face, or any other transparent LCD).  
Has anyone ever seen this before?  Possible causes?  I noticed the "nikon" logo on the pentaprism housing seemed to have left a bit of an indent on the shipping box...I'm sad to think it may have been damaged in shipping.
I'm trying to find the cause so I don't have to send it back, but at this point I think it's at a loss but I'm still curious.
There's also a leak in the seal on the rear LCD cover, causing a hazy foggy look under bright light, and a CF pin is bent.
Anyway, if anyone has seen this or can say with any certainty the cause, post up! 
Here's the moisture/seal issue that I found an explination of on youtube, just encase other d700 owners notice the fog and wonder why a weather sealed camera is trapping moisture inside:

adhesive failure on top right corner, explanation of defect can be found on youtube from another d700 owner, see link below...

youtube video I discovered on the issue: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJu1JtDt0M

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,050
Re: Viewfinder grid lines not showing up properly - D700 Also: foggy LCD cause!

My D700 has the foggy LCD issure also.   The only time I notice it though is when out in bright light and look at the screen at a bit of an angle I think.   It doesn't seem to affect performance and I forget all about it when reviewing the images and histogram.    Perhaps it's a non-issue in the long run?   Oh, I do occasionally clean the camera body with a light alcohol /water solution on a soft cloth much like you would clean eye glasses.   I wonder if that has anything to do with it?   Hopefully others will chime in.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
OP Figit090 Junior Member • Posts: 32

Ernie Misner wrote:

My D700 has the foggy LCD issure also.   The only time I notice it though is when out in bright light and look at the screen at a bit of an angle I think.   It doesn't seem to affect performance and I forget all about it when reviewing the images and histogram.    Perhaps it's a non-issue in the long run?   Oh, I do occasionally clean the camera body with a light alcohol /water solution on a soft cloth much like you would clean eye glasses.   I wonder if that has anything to do with it?   Hopefully others will chime in.

FYI - I think alcohol deteriorates the rubber Nikon uses for grips, at least past grips, and it's a solvent.  I wouldn't use it on anything that can weather with age (rubber, some plastics).  A damp cloth should suffice.
I think the issue of fogging is purely the break in the seal.  moisture can get in, condense on the screen, and leave foggyness.  I have no for-sure explanation but it seems to make sense to me. does yours have the marks like the one I pictured, almost as if someone scratched their fingernail through the fog?
I'm baffled by those marks personally, and wonder if someone has had the screen off before it came to me.
I think it would just as you said affect viewing but it depends on if it bothers you.  Personally it bothers me but I just bought it and it was described as "mint"...

Bob from Plymouth
Bob from Plymouth Contributing Member • Posts: 649

Are you sure it's moisture and not mould? You see it in lenses sometimes.

Bob from Plymouth's gear list:Bob from Plymouth's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: - D300 Also: foggy LCD

My used D300 also has the foggy LCD, but it does not affect taking photos. Heck, for only a third of original price, with under 8,000 actuations, something had to be not perfect, and it does not affect the review of photos, aside, as other poster said, in bright light. Camera works perfectly otherwise.

Apparently, all of that generation, including the top and expensive D3 can also suffer this issue.

Mine has lines on the inside, like a hand drawn grid, weird.

But I quite understand, if labeled 'mint' is should be as new out of box.

I actually bought a spare screen, so when it is out of 6 months warranty, I 'may' try to gently remove the old one, clean with isopropyl alcohol (have to be careful, using it fyi that is not good for eyes) and replace using double sided tape strips (the correct grade). Spare screen in case something goes wrong. Isopropyl achohol should work, cleaned my 18-200VR excellently when I got it used with the D5000 a year and a half ago. That lens inside front element and front of second element only, was fogged right across with what seemed like dried fog. The isopropyl achohol cleaned it fully off, shiny and no marks or remnants. It was not fungus, it was fog / haze.

Or, I will shoot as is and if something ever happens to screen, I have a spare.

Hope your next D700 works well and is fine (or scrimp the extra over months and get a D800).

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Anyone ever seen the viewfinder issue?

Bob from Plymouth wrote:

Are you sure it's moisture and not mould? You see it in lenses sometimes.

Yes I'm pretty sure.  It could be haze similar to that seen in lenses but I have extensive experience with finding lend mold and fungus, it is definitely not that.  As you can see it looks like someone breathed on the screen when light is shining on it.

Bajerunner wrote:

My used D300 also has the foggy LCD, but it does not affect taking photos. Heck, for only a third of original price, with under 8,000 actuations, something had to be not perfect, and it does not affect the review of photos, aside, as other poster said, in bright light. Camera works perfectly otherwise.

Apparently, all of that generation, including the top and expensive D3 can also suffer this issue.

Mine has lines on the inside, like a hand drawn grid, weird.

But I quite understand, if labeled 'mint' is should be as new out of box.

I actually bought a spare screen, so when it is out of 6 months warranty, I 'may' try to gently remove the old one, clean with isopropyl alcohol (have to be careful, using it fyi that is not good for eyes) and replace using double sided tape strips (the correct grade). Spare screen in case something goes wrong. Isopropyl achohol should work, cleaned my 18-200VR excellently when I got it used with the D5000 a year and a half ago. That lens inside front element and front of second element only, was fogged right across with what seemed like dried fog. The isopropyl achohol cleaned it fully off, shiny and no marks or remnants. It was not fungus, it was fog / haze.

Or, I will shoot as is and if something ever happens to screen, I have a spare.

Hope your next D700 works well and is fine (or scrimp the extra over months and get a D800).

Ah yes the D300 did show up a lot in my research of the problem, it's too bad this happens!  
If the discount were steep I wouldn't be bothered, sadly I paid for a mint condition camera...and I got less than that.  :/

Wellll fantastic, looks like the seller doesn't have the money to immediately refund me because he bought another d700, working on making money.
He's honest though, so I don't think I've been scammed, I just talked with him on the phone for an hour. 
He said he would try and sell the camera he bought or return it (it's not what he wanted anyway, the shutter count is >70k and it wasn't quite as described) and get enough money to refund me after returning it. I'm not sure what he's thinking selling one D700 to just spend a majority of the money on another, but I think he's new at camera equipment. Not everybody just purchases what they need or like-new D700's wouldn't be for sale people that got overwhelmed by the features.
He also said he would make it right, he's a good seller and would pay for the repair, at the least most of it. SO I'm thinking perhaps I will send it in to Nikon and request a FULL checkup of EVERYTHING. What's standard, just checking main things or do they do a full workthrough?
I called a camera repair place and they mentioned that the screen issue could perhaps be from dropping too, so I'm on the fence. There's no outward damage but you can drop something on a blanket and still break it if there's cement underneath. 
Either way, i asked him to look at his options for finding the money, and I said I'd wait a day or two to hear back and we'll go from there.
Major bummer but I'm thankful that my seller is communicating with me and isn't rude. I've had much worse.
In the interest of morality I do not want to simply file a claim, not to mention I have no idea the time risk of a claim, if anyone knows how long a paypal claim would take to get my purchase price back, let me know.

overniteman
overniteman Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

Sounds like the seller is working with you to resolve the problem. Good luck, hope it works out. Find another D700 and have fun.

overniteman wrote:

Sounds like the seller is working with you to resolve the problem. Good luck, hope it works out. Find another D700 and have fun.

Thanks, yes thankfully he is being resonable, I do have paypal and ebay on my side if something goes wrong, but it is difficult dealing with the delays.
at least it should all end up well in the end, I think.  
Thanks again!

Si Gif
Si Gif Regular Member • Posts: 446

overniteman wrote:

Thanks, yes thankfully he is being resonable, I do have paypal and ebay on my side if something goes wrong, but it is difficult dealing with the delays.
at least it should all end up well in the end, I think.  
Thanks again!

I try to assume everyone is honest. That said I don't have the guts, heart or optimism to buy a used complex electronic device without being able to personally inspect it. I hope you don't wind up with a big tab from Nikon and a seller who is unable to reimburse you. My suggestion would be to bail while and if you can.
--
Cliff
------------------
Show me the way to get out of this world/ That's where everything is

Si Gif's gear list:Si Gif's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more

Looks like the seller's nitpicking about discounts and paying some money because he lowered the price of the battery grip package that was in a seperate ebay auction. we agreed to combine for a fixed price and now it's getting tricky since I may only send back the camera auction items. He also had a "My Store Rewards" 5% discount applied so he's removing that from the return value too ($85)
I also used a $100 off (10% off up to 100) ebay coupon for buying with my phone, so I'm going to be out that discount too.
Not sure what to say to the seller, I paid 380 for the grip, en-el4a and charger setup to be included and the en-el4a battery is on #2 for it's lifespan, not 0 for "new" like I was hoping. that auction also said mint but I never asked to check the battery status so I don't know who's in the wrong here.
So complicated.
I feel that aside from return shipping he should be responsible for losses, or at least giving me all my money back, aside from the $100 ebay discount, which goes to them.

Return authorized - ebay finds in my favor

Great news!  Ebay found in my favor after I showed them copious photos and explained my distaste for having a camera with issues that aren't simple or obvious, especially since the camera was advertised as "mint."
Right now I'm hanging onto the $380 worth of grip, mh-21, en-el4a, and related accessories despite possibly loosing a bit of money on it.
I've already lost money shipping this thing and the sale of the extra stuff was seperate from the D700 (whoops) so I'm not covered with ebay and I don't much want to file another claim right now.  If I change my mind I may but that will depend on whether I can get the seller to talk to me.  Right now I'm fine keeping the mint condition battery grip.
Now on the lookout for a proper D700, perhaps a refurb if I can find a good price...

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and support, this has been one heck of an ordeal.  I may get a D700 with 11k shots on it for $1800, and sell the battery grip that comes with it.  Taking another hit but I'll be happy to be shooting and not dealing with wasting time.
Good luck to you all in your endeavors!

Hugo First Contributing Member • Posts: 780
Re: Return authorized - ebay finds in my favor

no offense, but your ordeal reminds me of the saying, "the high cost of low prices"!

for every person who gets a fantastic deal somewhere, i'll bet 50 get spanked -- hard.

good luck with future "deals"!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads