>>>> Street Photography eXchange ..where is it? Locked

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
apaflo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,854
Re:oneAnt

Sal18 wrote:

Frank said: Here is a first go at the rules for being preferred by other forum members:

He offered guidance on how to be preferred. I don't see where he said anything about rules for posting.

Sal

The implication was very clear that following Frank's rules will make this a safe place... which it need not be otherwise.

Those rules are not requirements to post to this forum.  Any statement pushing another member into compliance with posting what is judged as "good photography", as one very very subjective example of Frank's rules, can potentially be seen as uncivil behavior under the real Forum Rules.

The point is to make everyone who is in fact civil a "preferred passenger" here.

Still Young Senior Member • Posts: 1,759
Re: >>>> Street Photography eXchange ..where is it?

Why so much theory. Let’s look on the history of the forum, how many new members were rejected?

I can see here the opposite. Very simple examination: take a look for a new poster and how he is “treated” warmly. [Maybe rare exeptions].

fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,612

You have completely, and crudely, mischaracterized what I said, in a very unfriendly way.

I was merely saying what you have to do to have people like and respect you on the forum.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +19 more
Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296

Apaflo said: The implication was very clear that following Frank's rules will make this a safe place... which it need not be otherwise.

Peace. Dona nobis pacem.

Let's deal with facts. The implication was clear to you, but not to me. Let's not battle over presumptions, assumptions or speculations. Let's pick up our cameras and go out and shoot.

I am sure that many people would be interested in seeing your photos of Barrow, Floyd. I know that I would, and that most posters will never get there. It would be interesting to see both your work and Barrow.

Sal

hexar Contributing Member • Posts: 858

Come on guys let us indeed go out and start trying to make good SP again instead of trying to be more " clever" than the other.  In the end there are only a few very good pics ever posted by the incrowd  here ( oneAnt had a few, Still , carcedas ( maybe i write his name wrong her)  and several passengers )  so there is more need for picture quality improvement than philosophic , retoric , nomsens, smart talk I suggest.

put the guns down and take the cams gentleman !

fad

Hexar, you underestimate the seriousness of the situation.

This forum has become a hostile and toxic environment for many of us, and things cannot go on as they have become.

-- hide signature --

Frank

albobkin
albobkin Senior Member • Posts: 1,856
Re:+1

fad wrote:

This forum has become a hostile and toxic environment for many of us, and things cannot go on as they have become.

-- hide signature --

al

anamesa Regular Member • Posts: 260
Re:Exactly (nt)
-- hide signature --

Fotis

Re:+1

Is there a sympathic solution possible ?  I thought everybody deep inside would recognize where he went " wrong " in the whole process and could make a new start as an adult that could leave some stupid postings behind and not look back .

come on give it a try as energy is wasted this way that could be spend on making SP.

my 2 cents

HEXAR

fad wrote:

Or perhaps he understands it quite well...

Differing opinions don't make a forum either hostile or toxic, but inappropriate reactions to opposing opinions, particularly if the intent is to make it uncomfortable for  anyone to disagree with one particular dogma, is hostile and toxic.

Community moderation is the DPR staff's method of moving DPR forums away from personality cults fired by assertive and aggressive behavior that limits participation.

User defined rules intended to make a forum comfortable only for one group with a common set of values and opinions is not appropriate.  The Forum Rules, provided by DPReview, are intended to make forums accessible and interesting to a larger number of people, with diverse opinions, values, and methods of expression.

Those who wish to make the Documentary and Street Photography forum a pleasant place for everyone to express and to discuss diverse opinions can assist by carefully reading the forum rules, at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum-rules , and working to understand and stay within those guidelines.

And I will grant that for people who refuse to abide by the rules, this is not going to be a comfortable place...

Si Gif
Si Gif Regular Member • Posts: 446
Re: Waiting for the re-union...

Sal18 wrote:

You are SO good, Still. A picture is worth a thousand words, specially yours.

Sal

I second that!

-- hide signature --

Cliff
------------------
Show me the way to get out of this world/ That's where everything is

Si Gif's gear list:Si Gif's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Si Gif
Si Gif Regular Member • Posts: 446
Newcomer’s Observation

The xchange thread is a Forum within a Forum. There is no rule that has been cited that appears to Outlaw or even discourage that. There appears to be/have been more activity within the subForum than within the Forum. That may have offended someone’s sensibilities and/or sense of what is good for the site and/or is a threat to a sense of Order or Control or Authority. Or something else that I can’t name.

As headlined I am new here but I felt welcomed, perhaps undeservedly flattered and constructively and politely critiqued.

I realize the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution has no application here (not meant to be ironic, just a legal fact. . . there is no governmental action, this is private property/space) but I think we all can agree that its' spirit can be a guide.  Caution: I am not actually proposing a rule because I have no authority to do so. That said, its a good idea not to yell “Fire” in a crowded forum.

I don’t have a vote as this is not a Democracy, nor does it need to be. That said, if I did have a vote it would say do your thing Frank, and if someone doesn’t like it the ex-xchange it is just a thread not a forum. There is infinite space for other threads.

-- hide signature --

Cliff
------------------
Show me the way to get out of this world/ That's where everything is

Si Gif's gear list:Si Gif's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
solveproblems Contributing Member • Posts: 877
I am confused

Guys, I missed all the battle and now am confused totally. Do I understand correctly that everything started from a picture with a kiss and two broken hands? It used to be quite innocent and emotionally neutral, as I think.

For my taste the "exchange" thread was quite nice, not very active, not very instructive, but I had fun in posting there. So I don't understand completely what happens now. It was definitely not toxic or somehow poisoneous.

I would even prefer that dull stupid would be commented as dull images instead of flattering or ignoring (so I would encourage "more toxic").

Re: Newcomer’s Observation

Si Gif wrote:

The xchange thread is a Forum within a Forum. There is no rule that has been cited that appears to Outlaw or even discourage that. There appears to be/have been more activity within the subForum than within the Forum. That may have offended someone’s sensibilities and/or sense of what is good for the site and/or is a threat to a sense of Order or Control or Authority. Or something else that I can’t name.

As headlined I am new here but I felt welcomed, perhaps undeservedly flattered and constructively and politely critiqued.

I realize the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution has no application here (not meant to be ironic, just a legal fact. . . there is no governmental action, this is private property/space) but I think we all can agree that its' spirit can be a guide.  Caution: I am not actually proposing a rule because I have no authority to do so. That said, its a good idea not to yell “Fire” in a crowded forum.

I don’t have a vote as this is not a Democracy, nor does it need to be. That said, if I did have a vote it would say do your thing Frank, and if someone doesn’t like it the ex-xchange it is just a thread not a forum. There is infinite space for other threads.

Your last paragraph is correct.  This is not a democracy, everyone is invited to "do your thing". and any thread here is just a thread, because all threads are created equal.

We should note also a couple of other things, first of which is that nobody has suggested that the typical threads Frank starts are inappropriate.  Any thread that in fact was inappropriate, and regardless of who started it, has been deleted and is not visible to members (deleted threads and articles are visible to the administrators and moderators).

A second point is that no thread is owned by anyone.  There can be no extra rules, nor are any forum rules suspended, due to any desire or action by a person who starts a thread.

What has been an issue is not a specific thread, but specific articles posted primarily in one thread.

OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
Re: Newcomer’s Observation

apaflo wrote:

Si Gif wrote:

Your last paragraph is correct.  This is not a democracy, everyone is invited to "do your thing". and any thread here is just a thread, because all threads are created equal.

We should note also a couple of other things, first of which is that nobody has suggested that the typical threads Frank starts are inappropriate.  Any thread that in fact was inappropriate, and regardless of who started it, has been deleted and is not visible to members (deleted threads and articles are visible to the administrators and moderators).

A second point is that no thread is owned by anyone.  There can be no extra rules, nor are any forum rules suspended, due to any desire or action by a person who starts a thread.

What has been an issue is not a specific thread, but specific articles posted primarily in one thread.

fad wrote:

oneANT wrote:

Fad could you please go restart the exchange, I have all your horrible friends out here ...all wandering around lost and bumping into me.

Its horrible.

Thanks, OneAnt, (and thanks for your kind comment on my blog.)

There are still a few issues we (it's a group effort) have to work out.   We hope to be back soon.

Frank,  could you  tell for the rest of us people on this forum what issues you are working on as a group and  what group that is ?   WE  hope to be back soon .  Who are  WE ?

cheers

hexar

fad

hexar wrote:

fad wrote:

oneANT wrote:

Fad could you please go restart the exchange, I have all your horrible friends out here ...all wandering around lost and bumping into me.

Its horrible.

Thanks, OneAnt, (and thanks for your kind comment on my blog.)

There are still a few issues we (it's a group effort) have to work out.   We hope to be back soon.

Frank,  could you  tell for the rest of us people on this forum what issues you are working on as a group and  what group that is ?   WE  hope to be back soon .  Who are  WE ?

cheers

hexar

Hexar, just the slightest whiff of this toxic mess aimed in your direction, only once, made you cry out in pain and proclaim that you would abandon this forum?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51168539

Your final words in that post:

Cheers and thanks for the joy I had anyway.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad

fad wrote:

Hexar, just the slightest whiff of this toxic mess aimed in your direction, only once, made you cry out in pain and proclaim that you would abandon this forum?

Moreover, if you haven't noticed that members of this forum are being harassed, and trolled, and flame-baited and lied to, and treated abusively? That people are being belittled, and threatened and posts have been deleted?  That threads are locked, that people are actually being publicly libelled, that bans are issued out of spite, that threads are being disrupted from envy?

Well, then you are probably a lucky man indeed.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad

fad wrote:

fad wrote:

Moreover, if you haven't noticed that members of this forum are being harassed, and trolled, and flame-baited and lied to, and treated abusively? That people are being belittled, and threatened and posts have been deleted?  That threads are locked, that people are actually being publicly libelled, that bans are issued out of spite, that threads are being disrupted from envy?

Well, then you are probably a lucky man indeed.

And I am also surprised you are not aware that street photography exchange is a collaborative thread and does not belong to me in the least.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad

And did you not see that yesterday, a knowledgeable new poster was abused in this way, and by someone whose misperceptions of street photography are notorious?

If you cannot even understand what "the life of the street" meant in that context, or want to simply dismiss the likes of Colin Westerbeck and Joel Meyerowitz out of hand, nothing you say on the subject of Street Photography is credible or even worthy of discussion.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads