D800 100% pixel view in LV with firmware update!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,124
D800 100% pixel view in LV with firmware update!

My camera now looks much better at 100% on live view which is helping me focus alot better. Strange they do not mention this in the update. When I zoom to 100%, remember that this is one press from maximum or the medium setting I am noticing much less horizontal lines etc than before and it seems like an accurate view! It is also possible that me wanting this so much has made me "imagine" that is has happened? Perhaps others can test. It looks better at least?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,993
Hasn't changed on my D800

It was the first thing I checked after upgrading and I didn't notice any difference.

digital ed
digital ed Veteran Member • Posts: 3,551
Re: Hasn't changed on my D800

Horshack wrote:

It was the first thing I checked after upgrading and I didn't notice any difference.

I immediately thought I noticed an improvement. Hard to tell with no direct comparison.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 +16 more
primeshooter
OP primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,124
Re: Hasn't changed on my D800

digital ed wrote:

Horshack wrote:

I immediately thought I noticed an improvement. Hard to tell with no direct comparison.

Same here. It may not be 100% but it looks alot better if I remember correctly, as it was awful and when you focused lines ran across the image.

Jim Trainor Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: D800 100% pixel view with firmware update

My D800 also looks much better at 100% in LV. I too was wondering if I was imagining it too :), since it was not mentioned in the FW announcement or maybe because I've been wanting it so much. Previously the 100% LV was low rez and not very useful for critical focusing, but what I now see at 100% in LV looks as good as what I see at 100% in review after the shot.

Jim Trainor's gear list:Jim Trainor's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
primeshooter

Jim Trainor wrote:

My D800 also looks much better at 100% in LV. I too was wondering if I was imagining it too :), since it was not mentioned in the FW announcement or maybe because I've been wanting it so much. Previously the 100% LV was low rez and not very useful for critical focusing, but what I now see at 100% in LV looks as good as what I see at 100% in review after the shot.

It looks useable now, that's how I knew something was up!

moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242

primeshooter wrote:

Jim Trainor wrote:

Stop playing with live view and get out there and shoot and let us know!!

(My battery is charging, so I can't test for any changes and need to live vicariously for a bit.)

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Nikon D800 Pentax K20D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
primeshooter

moving_comfort wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Jim Trainor wrote:

Stop playing with live view and get out there and shoot and let us know!!

(My battery is charging, so I can't test for any changes and need to live vicariously for a bit.)

It's dark and cold in Scotland right now...but so far so good!

OldDigiman Senior Member • Posts: 1,960

Looks much clearer to me too, but no ability to do a true comparison.

-- hide signature --

D800 1.01 vs 1.00 LV 100% Magnification
lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
If LV would not have been brighter

than I think it would be quite close to IR.

lock

Re: If LV would not have been brighter

lock wrote:

than I think it would be quite close to IR.

lock

Yep, I just reduced the brightness of the 1.01 comp. You may need to force a browser reload to get the updated image.

dnorth12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
Re: D800 1.01 vs 1.00 LV 100% Magnification

Horshack wrote:

D800 1.01 Firmware

D800 1.00 Firmware (Original Thread)

Horschack,

Can't zoom on this image like the original thread one. But from this size the image review still looks better than live view, just can't say how much as compared to the original thread. Mind giving your opinion on this one?

Another 1.01 LV vs Image Review comp

dnorth12 wrote:

Horschack,

Can't zoom on this image like the original thread one. But from this size the image review still looks better than live view, just can't say how much as compared to the original thread. Mind giving your opinion on this one?

The 1.01 LV vs Review comp I posted was at a different focus distance vs the 1.00 comp I took last year. Here's another 1.01 comp at about the same focus distance for a better comparison - looks identical to what I saw last year with 1.00. Click "original size" to view at 100%.

D800 1.01 Firmware Comp #2

D800 1.00 Firmware Comp (Last Year)

dnorth12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
Re: Another 1.01 LV vs Image Review comp

No original to click on, but I can see better with this image that it is no better. That is too bad. Was really hoping against hope. Especially with my tired eyes.

Thanks for posting.

orchidblooms
orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

moving_comfort wrote:

get more batteries!

-- hide signature --

Phillip "Iggy" Murphy http://phillipmurphy.com
ILM Sandra Murphy - "The Orchid Lady" http://orchidblooms.com

orchidblooms
Re: D800 100% pixel view in LV with firmware update!

my d800e - now seems to have nice crisp live view even zoomed in all the way

casual test propped up on box... pointed to setting sun...  i can see edges of buds on trees against the sun and they are sharp

nothing like this pre-update

true test will be tomorrow -

this image in particular - live view was worthless -

histogram was in middle - and everything light colored was bright white in view...

worthless -

tomorrow i will take same shot and see how the screen looks - i used a hoodman loup yesterday - still horrible

p.

-- hide signature --

victor china
victor china Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: Another 1.01 LV vs Image Review comp

i wonder if the shift in colors is from the monitor or from the WB ?

after the FW update it is more blue, (more like the previous D700/d3 monitor) isn't it?

paulraphael New Member • Posts: 16

I had this impression right away after updating the firmware. Like everyone else I'm lacking a way to do a direct comparison.

Live view still looks less clear than image review. The difference is that now the LV image seems noisy, but it doesn't appear to be interpolated from a much lower resolution. It's much easier to focus at 100%. I used to have to find focus by looking for clues … finding blobs of detail with a lot of contrast and guesstimating when their contrast was at its highest. Now the image just pops into focus like you might expect.

It's possible that this is just an artifact of making exposure preview optional. I haven't had enough chance to work with the new firmware in the real world.

Fingers are crossed … this was my single biggest complaint about the camera.

orchidblooms

Just got done shooting for over 2 hours in our greehouses -

I would say big time improvement in the live view screen - things do indeed seem to 'pop into focus'

and for sure the image presented does look better - what was just white blobs yesterday actually looked like part, of what it should, today after update

p.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads