Birding after 2 weeks (HS50)

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
OP jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Re: Birding after 2 weeks (HS50)

MarvinErich wrote:

Joms, how about some macros? 

How I wish I could show some but bugs are still hibernating here in Boston. Maybe next week they will pop out now.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more

Me Tarzan wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Me Tarzan wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Thanks for posting these. You did an exceptional job, as did the camera. I picked my three favorites [posted below]. That starling is a killer shot. The sparrows, that one's a happy shot. And I like the pose of the mockingbird.

Exceptional feather details on the starling, pretty colors and that blurred BG is beautiful.

This may look underexpose in your screen so crank up the brightness a bit.

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

I appreciate your generous comment Frank. The starling is a very beautiful bird albeit considered pest by some especially if they come in hordes. Sparrow has been my favorite bird to photograph  ever since because it is vastly common in any spot and in any weather. HS50 did excellent job here considering majority of my subjects are in shade so we can still see more improvements as the weather improves further.

Cheers,

-=[ Joms ]=-

The starlings in my area generally stick to the larger surrounding cities where I live although we've had a couple show here, too.

We have quite a number of brown headed cowbirds. Funny thing is that they lay their eggs in other bird's nests [during nesting time]. I read in Wiki that they'll destroy a nest if the other bird attempts to remove their egg. Brutal. Then when the mama delivers lunch, they'll horde the food from the other chicks. Even more brutal. And at times, they will push the other chicks from the nest. Perhaps the most brutal.  I guess they are a lot like humans. lol

I'll look forward to seeing more of your experience with your new camera, whether it involves birds or other subjects.

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

I certainly agree! Nature's cruelty will always be there. Thanks for sharing that interesting information.

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter71951 Contributing Member • Posts: 553

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

I'm very sorry to say but these samples show that using RAW and the PP that comes with it is killing the HS50. This camera can do so much better.

Peter

Thanks for the chuckle Peter.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Just look at the result, that's really a laugh. A cellphone camera gives better result, without PP. What a laugh. My advice to you all: forget RAW.

Peter

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

I'm very sorry to say but these samples show that using RAW and the PP that comes with it is killing the HS50. This camera can do so much better.

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Just look at the result, that's really a laugh. A cellphone camera gives better result, without PP. What a laugh. My advice to you all: forget RAW.

Peter

Why don't you show me your best bird shots using your HS or your cellphone camera? I'll be happy to see and comment on that.

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

Why don't you show me your best bird shots using your HS or your cellphone camera? I'll be happy to see and comment on that.

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

I will do so this weekend. Than I'll show you HS50 jpeg photos of birds that look like birds, not like toy imitation birds with no real feathers like your birds look like after the RAW bath.

Peter

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

I will do so this weekend. Than I'll show you HS50 jpeg photos of birds that look like birds, not like toy imitation birds with no real feathers like your birds look like after the RAW bath.

Peter

Looking forward to your shots Peter. May the force be with you.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

I don't need support for this simple assignment. The race has already been run. I hope you are not too disappointed in your RAW efforts after you have seen my JPEG photos. Remember: the solution for your problem is simple. Put the camera on JPEG.

Peter

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

I don't need support for this simple assignment. The race has already been run. I hope you are not too disappointed in your RAW efforts after you have seen my JPEG photos. Remember: the solution for your problem is simple. Put the camera on JPEG.

Peter

Don't forget to use RAW+JPG so we have something to compare later.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sorry, but I will only use JPEG. I will not take the change to ruin my precious camera by poisoning my delicate and therefore defenseless camera with RAW. At least it will take weeks for the camera to recover.

Peter

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sorry, but I will only use JPEG. I will not take the change to ruin my precious camera by poisoning my delicate and therefore defenseless camera with RAW. At least it will take weeks for the camera to recover.

Peter

Very well then. Just give your best shot. And NO don't shoot those poor caged birds please.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Tim39 Senior Member • Posts: 2,884

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

-=[ Joms ]=-

Peter

You know I love you, Joms, and surely my glasses RX needs a radical change, but as of the moment, these images are, to be euphemistic, lamentable.

-- hide signature --

Tim

alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459

Joms these are wonderful! Would you say you got a lot more feather detail than you would have gotten with your HS30?

Also, wanted to ask you a question about macro.  Do you need to select the flower (macro) setting? Because I have been doing macro without selecting that and I am still able to focus at 3 inches at 150mm, the sweet spot for previous HS cameras.  (I set metering to spot and am now always using shutter priority, since that gives me more control over the ISO the camera picks and I have fairly steady hands so I dont need the faster shutter speeds the camera selects in aperture priority.) I use the same shutter priority / spot metering combo with TC attachments because it helps with the shallower DOF and also keeps the ISO lower.

I think I will keep the HS20 around as a backup to the HS50- it uses AA batteries, has that macro sweet spot and is a bit wider, and can go ultrawide with my wide angle converter.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more

alexisgreat wrote:

Joms these are wonderful! Would you say you got a lot more feather detail than you would have gotten with your HS30?

Yes for distant small birds around 10+ meters away. The added reach will definitely resolve more detail.

Also, wanted to ask you a question about macro.  Do you need to select the flower (macro) setting? Because I have been doing macro without selecting that and I am still able to focus at 3 inches at 150mm, the sweet spot for previous HS cameras.

Yes enable macro mode if the subject is close.

(I set metering to spot and am now always using shutter priority, since that gives me more control over the ISO the camera picks and I have fairly steady hands so I dont need the faster shutter speeds the camera selects in aperture priority.)

Yes for macro shutter priority is best especially if you will use flash.

I use the same shutter priority / spot metering combo with TC attachments because it helps with the shallower DOF and also keeps the ISO lower.

Yep TC definitely keep that aperture wide open while doubling the reach.

I think I will keep the HS20 around as a backup to the HS50- it uses AA batteries, has that macro sweet spot and is a bit wider, and can go ultrawide with my wide angle converter.

HS30 has higher shots/charge than HS50 and even HS10/20

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459

Hmmm I wonder why Joms..... the HS30 uses the same battery as the HS50, has the same size LCD and EVF and yet has a much higher shot per battery charge than the HS50?

And as far as feather detail is concerned, if you set the HS30 and HS50 to the same target, at the same focal length at the same time, do you think the HS50 resolves more detail because of its sharper better lens?

-- hide signature --

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more

alexisgreat wrote:

Hmmm I wonder why Joms..... the HS30 uses the same battery as the HS50, has the same size LCD and EVF and yet has a much higher shot per battery charge than the HS50?

Well the hi-res LCD prolly consumes more power and the powerful processor that gives blazing fast AF and STS consumes more power too.

And as far as feather detail is concerned, if you set the HS30 and HS50 to the same target, at the same focal length at the same time, do you think the HS50 resolves more detail because of its sharper better lens?

Yes it will give finer detail based on Dave's comparison. I will post a similar shot of a mallard duck and you will see that Hs50 resolves better than Hs30 at low ISO. The sharper lens definitely helped.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

tom1234567 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

tom1234567 wrote:

Nice shots Joms

Tom G

-- hide signature --

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 62yr old body

Thanks Tom. How are you doin so far with your HS50?

-=[ Joms ]=-

Hi Joms been ill for past 7days stuck with iPad in the house but getting better,

going to Tenerife next month for a break hope to get some decent photos then

Try some macro shot Tom.

my bones are getting old now can not stand the cold.LOL. you seem to be mastering this camera now, your photos are very good, if I can get some shots like that I will be happy.

You will produce shots like these in no time. Get well soon my friend.

Thanks for asking.

Tom G

-- hide signature --

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 62yr old body

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

xgoldman New Member • Posts: 7

I am a birder and trying to choose btwn HS50 and Canon sx50. Interested in bird ID ONLy and will shoot at max zoom, mostly in decent light. I just looked at Threed's shots with SX50 (see link below in thread) and it seems to my eye the Canon blows the FuJI out of the water in every respect.l

It seems on paper the Fuji, with larger sensor, better EVR< faster lens, faster AF, better continuous mode, shd make it better for birding field work-but it sure doesn't look that way.

I'd sure like to hear reports about the Fuji from birders in action in the field. And I"D sure appreciate t comparisons with SX50 from field ornitholigists. BaCKyard shots don't really tell much about how the camera does grabbing that 2 second photo op in the field.

xgoldman wrote:

I am a birder and trying to choose btwn HS50 and Canon sx50. Interested in bird ID ONLy and will shoot at max zoom, mostly in decent light. I just looked at Threed's shots with SX50 (see link below in thread) and it seems to my eye the Canon blows the FuJI out of the water in every respect.l

Not really. Kenn shoots exclusively within his backyard. Birds are very acclimated with him, lots of food and water and some trunk setup in a good position for Photo-OP. He doesn't even have to stand-up and get closer to his birds. Out on the field where birds are really wild on their own where time is very short, where bird are not fed, HS50 will trounce the SX50 any time of the day.

It seems on paper the Fuji, with larger sensor, better EVR< faster lens, faster AF, better continuous mode, shd make it better for birding field work-but it sure doesn't look that way.

Nope. At optimum scenario and location, HS50 will produce results as good as SX50.

I'd sure like to hear reports about the Fuji from birders in action in the field. And I"D sure appreciate t comparisons with SX50 from field ornitholigists. BaCKyard shots don't really tell much about how the camera does grabbing that 2 second photo op in the field.

All of my shots are on a field, out of nowhere where I see it, when I see it. Honestly, you wouldn't be able to see majority of these shots had I used an SX50 or any motorized superzoom.

-=[ Joms ]=-

nobbyball Regular Member • Posts: 207

xgoldman wrote:

1.  Check out the Birdforum website (Camera and Photography section).  Lots of birders testing out the Fuji HS50 and Canon SX50 in the field.  For bird feeders and bird tables I see better sharpness from the Canon pictures in lower light, but in great light the two cameras are much closer.  Remember it is still early days for the HS50.  If you look at some people's early attempts with the Canon some birders were worried it was a step backwards from the SX40.

2. I am a birder first and have the HS30 (lots of similarities so some of what I say is still relevant). I used to have the HS20 and liked it a lot but I struggled with the EVF for following birds.  The HS30 ( and HS50) EVF is much better.  The Canon SX50 EVF is similar to the HS20 and is a major reason why I wouldn't go for the Canon.  The HS30 has a useful digital zoom which in good light helps ID birds at great distance.  The HS50 seems even better - check out Kim Letkeman's blog on the HS50 (section 6 I think) for a superb Merlin capture at distance.

3. The manual zoom on the Fuji and fast autofocus should make capturing fast moving birds more achievable.  Yesterday I was following a Grey Wagtail and they never stand still :-). I've not uploaded pics yet but I am very pleased with the shots I got.

4.  If you can,  check them both out at a store.  I really like the way the Fuji handles and it is very quick to start up ( the HS50 is even faster).   I can't afford to just yet, but when the HS50 comes down in price I will look to upgrade for that extra reach as I am more than happy with the IQ of the Fuji HS30.

5. If I was to change my Fuji for any of the other superzooms it would be the Panasonic FZ200 as that has great EVF and fast lens throughout its (smaller) zoom range.  I believe that a decent EVF is really, really important for getting those fast moving birds.

Regards

Ian

nobbyball's gear list:nobbyball's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 FinePix S1 Canon EOS 70D

nobbyball wrote:

xgoldman wrote:

1.  Check out the Birdforum website (Camera and Photography section).  Lots of birders testing out the Fuji HS50 and Canon SX50 in the field.  For bird feeders and bird tables I see better sharpness from the Canon pictures in lower light, but in great light the two cameras are much closer.  Remember it is still early days for the HS50.  If you look at some people's early attempts with the Canon some birders were worried it was a step backwards from the SX40.

I happen to post there too.

2. I am a birder first and have the HS30 (lots of similarities so some of what I say is still relevant). I used to have the HS20 and liked it a lot but I struggled with the EVF for following birds.  The HS30 ( and HS50) EVF is much better.  The Canon SX50 EVF is similar to the HS20 and is a major reason why I wouldn't go for the Canon.  The HS30 has a useful digital zoom which in good light helps ID birds at great distance.  The HS50 seems even better - check out Kim Letkeman's blog on the HS50 (section 6 I think) for a superb Merlin capture at distance.

Good enough for IDing bird.

3. The manual zoom on the Fuji and fast autofocus should make capturing fast moving birds more achievable.  Yesterday I was following a Grey Wagtail and they never stand still :-). I've not uploaded pics yet but I am very pleased with the shots I got.

Right on. Quickness in getting the shot whether the subject is moving or not favors HS50.

4.  If you can,  check them both out at a store.  I really like the way the Fuji handles and it is very quick to start up ( the HS50 is even faster).   I can't afford to just yet, but when the HS50 comes down in price I will look to upgrade for that extra reach as I am more than happy with the IQ of the Fuji HS30.

Less than 1 sec to get a shot i.e

5. If I was to change my Fuji for any of the other superzooms it would be the Panasonic FZ200 as that has great EVF and fast lens throughout its (smaller) zoom range.  I believe that a decent EVF is really, really important for getting those fast moving birds.

HS/3050 EVF is larger than FZ200. FZ200 has higher resolution but that is negligible if you are looking it at a smaller EVF. With 60fps frame rate and blazing STS time, you will not miss an action shot while looking at the EVF.

Regards

Ian

Cheers,

-=[ Joms ]=-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads