Macbook pro keyboard problem

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Mark2710 New Member • Posts: 16
Macbook pro keyboard problem

I have macbook pro 15” (february 2008) and everything was fine until motherboard failure  (graphic chip) in january 2012. I was lucky to catch the last month of extended warranty and Apple repaired it for free. But there started new problems. I immediately notice that few keys on keyboard are “dead” (b,g,t,5,0,-,[,command). At the service claimed that they didn’t caused this problem and the only solution is to buy a new keyboard (they also run some test program for keyboards and no fault was detected). Now I can use bluetooth keyboard or onscreen keyboard from menu bar, but is very unpractical. Someone already had a similar problem? What can cause this problem and if someone know the solution I will be grateful for help. Before buying new keyboard I want to be sure that this is the only option I have.

Btw. keyboard is clean - no spills ever and backlight work correctly.

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 7,944
Re: Macbook pro keyboard problem

probably your only choice is to reverify that the connector between the keyboard and mobo is fine and then replace the keyboard w/ a used unit (about $80).

You really should not have waited 15 months and should have pressed whoever repaired it that the keyboard was fine before they swapped the mobo.

Mark2710 OP New Member • Posts: 16

Yes I know it wasn't the smartest thing not to complain more at Apple service. But I wasn't really sure about the problem at that time, because first two weeks keys switched few times from working to non. (e.g. everything worked OK before closing the lid and when I opened the lid again the keys were dead).

I checked the keyboard connector few times and it is ok.

Do I have to change only keyboard or complete upper “plate”?

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 7,944

Most likely, just the keyboard itself but you'll need to find the ifixit guide on how to do that as it's a multi-step procedure.  You'll need to find the Axyz model number of the laptop to find just the right keyboard (I know that since I dumped a cup of coffee into my MBP last year and screwed up the keyboard)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads