HELP! Both Raid Drives "not readable"

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions
Joe Tam Contributing Member • Posts: 893
HELP! Both Raid Drives "not readable"

Hi,

I have a Newertech Guardian Maxiumus with 2x2TB drives in a RAID 1 on Macbook Pro 2011 13" running 10.8.4. I turned on the drive tonight and got the dreaded "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I saw the "rebuild" light blink but the drive indicators did not go red to indicate which drive was dead.

I tried Disk Utility but couldn't see the drives.

I removed the drives and put them in a Black X USB docking station but the same error showed up.

I purchased Disk Warrior but DW doesn't even see the drive.

I finally ran Data Rescue from Prosoft and it has sees the drive in quickscan mode and allowing me to copy files file by file/folder by tolder to a secondary 2 TB drive.

Unfortunately it is going to take about 40 hours and I'm just wondering how Data Rescue is working and DW does not even see the drive.

Do you know if there is any way to get DW to see the drive and get back the data faster?

Do you know what causes this error? Could it be the Newertech Drive? I have the drive in a Sentry Fire safe and I was moving it earlier tonight on the ground. I hope that didn't cause any static buildup. Or maybe the Newertech drive sucks and caused an electric spike.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739
Re: HELP! Both Raid Drives "not readable"

I don't know the unit, but I just saw on Amazon there were 4 reviews, 3 of them gave it 1 star because their units failed with what sounds like the same error you report. Sounds like a bad batch or maybe just a bad brand.

Did you try running the unit with just one drive. No specific reason that should work, but it's a quick thing to try.

USB 2 is your likely bottleneck (although rescue software itself can sometimes be slow). If you can get access to some faster enclosures such as Firewire or thunderbolt for both the source and target drives, it may knock a fair chunk of time off that (assuming DR isn't a bottleneck).

However, 40 hours is less than two days, so unless that's going to cause some major hardship, I'd be very inclined to take a view of being happy DR is reading it and just leave it be.

It seems quite improbable that both drives failed at the same time, and if only one failed, the array should still be working. So I'd be hoping the drives were ok, and be looking to simply re-house the drives (after letting DR complete its copy) and then you might even find all your data still intact on the re-housed drives.

-Najinsky

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

I have a Newertech Guardian Maxiumus with 2x2TB drives in a RAID 1 on Macbook Pro 2011 13" running 10.8.4. I turned on the drive tonight and got the dreaded "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I saw the "rebuild" light blink but the drive indicators did not go red to indicate which drive was dead.

I removed the drives and put them in a Black X USB docking station but the same error showed up.

I finally ran Data Rescue from Prosoft and it has sees the drive in quickscan mode and allowing me to copy files file by file/folder by tolder to a secondary 2 TB drive.

Unfortunately it is going to take about 40 hours and I'm just wondering how Data Rescue is working and DW does not even see the drive.

Do you know if there is any way to get DW to see the drive and get back the data faster?

Do you know what causes this error? Could it be the Newertech Drive? I have the drive in a Sentry Fire safe and I was moving it earlier tonight on the ground. I hope that didn't cause any static buildup. Or maybe the Newertech drive sucks and caused an electric spike.

Stu 5 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,277

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

Disk Warrior is not a data recovery program and if you try to use it as one it can actually do more damage than you started with. It is OK at what it does but NEVER use it to try to recover data in this way as you could risk all the data on the drive. What your doing at the moment with Data Recovery is the way to go.

What brand are the drives inside the unit?

webfrasse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909

Stu 5 wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

Disk Warrior is not a data recovery program and if you try to use it as one it can actually do more damage than you started with. It is OK at what it does but NEVER use it to try to recover data in this way as you could risk all the data on the drive. What your doing at the moment with Data Recovery is the way to go.

Hmmm...do you know what DW does? You can definitely use it to recover data. I have done it. DW will scan your drive and build a new Catalog file for all the files it can find on the drive. It also compares it to the current catalog that may be partially broken or have numerous other errors. It will then, without writing to the drive, mount the new Catalog and it will look as you have two drives. Using the new Catalog you can browse the drive and copy the files from it to another drive (that is the data rescue part). When you have done that, you can ask DW to try to replace the old catalog with the new one. If that works you're good. If that fails you have more serious problems with the drive and you're happy you copied the files from the temporary mounted catalog.

Data Rescue works differently and is also a tool that should be in your toolbox. I have used that to with great success. Sounds like it's the tool to use in this case.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

webfrasse wrote:

Stu 5 wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

Hmmm...do you know what DW does? You can definitely use it to recover data. I have done it. DW will scan your drive and build a new Catalog file for all the files it can find on the drive. It also compares it to the current catalog that may be partially broken or have numerous other errors. It will then, without writing to the drive, mount the new Catalog and it will look as you have two drives. Using the new Catalog you can browse the drive and copy the files from it to another drive (that is the data rescue part). When you have done that, you can ask DW to try to replace the old catalog with the new one. If that works you're good. If that fails you have more serious problems with the drive and you're happy you copied the files from the temporary mounted catalog.

Data Rescue works differently and is also a tool that should be in your toolbox. I have used that to with great success. Sounds like it's the tool to use in this case.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Well aware what it does and this is the one time you don't use it. Any decent data recovery company will tell you the damage it can do though when used for this type of data loss. It can corrupt the data futher. It did on a friends hard drive when it was used. A bad data recovery company will tell you it can be used for this.

noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,501

Stu 5 wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

Stu 5 wrote:

Well aware what it does and this is the one time you don't use it. Any decent data recovery company will tell you the damage it can do though when used for this type of data loss. It can corrupt the data futher. It did on a friends hard drive when it was used. A bad data recovery company will tell you it can be used for this.

I don't think I would want to use DW on a drive that was part of a RAID unless I see some official word that DW is totally save to use on these.

Whether to run first DW or DataRescue on a non-RAID drive can be debated. Technically it might be safer to first run DataRescue as it shouldn't touch the data and once all files it can recover have recovered one can still run DW as it might restore a fully functional drive whereas DR will restore a jumble of 'real' files and deleted files or file fragments which can be essentially unworkable if this jumble is for example the Mail.app 'database'.

If the directory structure is damaged, running DR might cause further damage (at least I don't want to fully exclude that possibility). And running DW might overwrite some files that otherwise would be recoverable with DR (or screw things up completely but I consider it rather unlikely that DW will scramble things so much further that DR is affected).

If the troubled drive contains relatively large files that are not interdependent (ie, making it reasonable possible to sort out actual files and deleted files), then running DR first could be advisable. Otherwise, in particular given the time DR takes for a large drive, I'd start with DW.

Stu 5 wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

Stu 5 wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --

Mikael

DW will only read the drive if it can and won't write anything unless you decide to. The temporary rebuilt desktop is not written anywhere. Just shows what DW could recover. As I also said, in this case DW isn't the tool obviously as it can't see the drive...duh.

Not sure what you did to your friends computer...further damage or what?

Maybe you should also read up on what DW actually does, http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

-- hide signature --

Mikael

BeachnCruz Senior Member • Posts: 2,034
Re: Big Fan of DiskWarrior.....

I am a big fan of DiskWarrior, but I have never used it on Drives setup for RAID. DiskWarrior has saved the day many times for me when Disk Utility, Drive Genius and TechTool Pro were not up to the task of recovering what initially appeared to be failed drives. DiskWarrior has been great for me. For rescue purposes try mounting each of your problem drives in an exterior HD enclosure that provides FW 800 or Thunderbolt connection to your MBP when attempting a DiskWarrior drive recovery.

SuperDuper or Carbon Copy are great for cloning....

Jim

OP Joe Tam Contributing Member • Posts: 893

Thanks to everyone who replied.  I'm still confused about what circumstances are best for DW or Data Rescue 3.  I was in a panic so not the facts are to the best of my knowledge:

Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm 2 TB (HGST 2TB Deskstar 3.5" SATA II Internal Desktop Hard Drive)

Newertech Guardian Maxiumus Raid 1

-- hide signature --

I think I ran DR3 and not sure it recognized the drive.

Then I purchased DW, ran it, and it did not recognize/see the drive.

Ran Stellar Phoenix Mac Recovery but it didn't even see the drive.

Then Ran DR3 and somehow the quick search mode found the drive as "External USB 2"

and has now recovered 1.3 TB of 1.9 TB onto a brand new spare Deskstar 2TB.

My question is:  when is DW useful?  I read an apple forum discussion about disk "not readable

by this computer" and they absolutely recommended DW as a solution to the same problem.

Thank god for DR3.  I feel I wasted my $108 on DW.

How is it useful if it doesn't even see the drive?

Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more

BTW, I asked on other forums if two RAID 1 mirrored would be readable by docking station if removed and people said yes.  The data is there (but not readable by computer) and through some miracle DR is reading it.

Joe Tam wrote:

BTW, I asked on other forums if two RAID 1 mirrored would be readable by docking station if removed and people said yes.  The data is there (but not readable by computer) and through some miracle DR is reading it.

There could be many reasons for this. If both drives have standard partition tables and are formatted for Mac, yes, they should be visible as single drives. Just googled a bit and the fact that there is some custom utility software shipped with the unit makes me suspicious. Maybe there is something non-standard about how these drives are partitioned?

Anyway, most reviews I saw was pretty negative to the unit itself. If I were you I would ditch the case and put these two drives in separate enclosures  and either use them in a rotating fashion where one drive is always off-site or use one drive as a primary local backup and the other as a cloned copy and have a software like CCC or Chronosync to keep the two drives in sync. That can happen every hour or so. A raid 1 is only protecting against hardware failure and so does this setup  but it's more flexible and has other advantages as well. Lots of software packages available for this type of backup.

DW is well worth it's money. Don't worry. I have never seen it fail on regular Mac Formatted drives. I also own DR3. It works differently and they complement each other. I think DR3 is capable of reading more types of filesystems than DW. I've used DR3 to recover CF cards something that DW definitely doesn't do.

What does the Disk Utility show when you mount one of these drives? I'm curious about things like file system, partition table and partition type.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

I switched to RAID late last year and I should not have.  It's a false sense of security.

I previously had three drives in 3 external docking stations and my workflow was as follows:

I basically duplicate data to the second SSD on my laptop during assignments and do not format CF cards until..

I backup the data to the 1st & 2nd drive.  I will then copy all important assignments(keepers) to the third drive every week.  I also have an external 1 TB mini drive I leave at my relatives house with select assignments but I need to find a way so I can update the drive from my house.  Maybe swap two drives on a rotating basis(update one-take it to the offsite location, bring back the drive at the offsite location and update it?)

I usually clean up the SSD every week.

The best thing about this system is there is not one point of failure.  The RAID is a single point of failure.  They never tell you that both drives can fail simultaneously.

BTW, what should I do after I restore all the data?

I am thinking of ditching the Newertech.

Would you trust it?

Should I reformat and try again?

webfrasse wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

There could be many reasons for this. If both drives have standard partition tables and are formatted for Mac, yes, they should be visible as single drives. Just googled a bit and the fact that there is some custom utility software shipped with the unit makes me suspicious. Maybe there is something non-standard about how these drives are partitioned?

Anyway, most reviews I saw was pretty negative to the unit itself. If I were you I would ditch the case and put these two drives in separate enclosures  and either use them in a rotating fashion where one drive is always off-site or use one drive as a primary local backup and the other as a cloned copy and have a software like CCC or Chronosync to keep the two drives in sync. That can happen every hour or so. A raid 1 is only protecting against hardware failure and so does this setup  but it's more flexible and has other advantages as well. Lots of software packages available for this type of backup.

DW is well worth it's money. Don't worry. I have never seen it fail on regular Mac Formatted drives. I also own DR3. It works differently and they complement each other. I think DR3 is capable of reading more types of filesystems than DW. I've used DR3 to recover CF cards something that DW definitely doesn't do.

What does the Disk Utility show when you mount one of these drives? I'm curious about things like file system, partition table and partition type.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Jen Yates Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

Hi

It's probably not worth worrying about this any longer. Just get yourself a new drive / enclosure / whatever and restore your data from your backup.

Get up and running ASAP and accept the fact that drives fail, enclosures fail, RAID fails but...

Multiple backups wins.

Joe Tam wrote:

I switched to RAID late last year and I should not have.  It's a false sense of security.

I previously had three drives in 3 external docking stations and my workflow was as follows:

I basically duplicate data to the second SSD on my laptop during assignments and do not format CF cards until..

I backup the data to the 1st & 2nd drive.  I will then copy all important assignments(keepers) to the third drive every week.  I also have an external 1 TB mini drive I leave at my relatives house with select assignments but I need to find a way so I can update the drive from my house.  Maybe swap two drives on a rotating basis(update one-take it to the offsite location, bring back the drive at the offsite location and update it?)

That's what I do. Always one drive off site, swap every other week.

I usually clean up the SSD every week.

The best thing about this system is there is not one point of failure.  The RAID is a single point of failure.  They never tell you that both drives can fail simultaneously.

In a manual routine you, the human, is almost always the point of failure;-) I also use Crashplan for automatic off site backup.

BTW, what should I do after I restore all the data?

I don't think the drives failed. I bet it's the enclosure. Get two new enclosures, put these drives in them and device a backup scheme using some automatic backup software.

I'm not clear on what your primary storage is. Are you only using a laptop? Is the primary storage one of these external drives? If that's the case you only have one backup, so get another drive so you have a rotating backup scheme.

I am thinking of ditching the Newertech.

Raid 1 is only protecting against a failed drive. It's not a backup, it doesn't protect from user errors or file corruption. I have decided to use single drives and software that clone them.

Would you trust it?

I wouldn't. I like to keep it simple but I'm not a professional photographer needing many TB's of data. I have a couple of TB, no client data.

Should I reformat and try again?

webfrasse wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mikael

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Doug R Senior Member • Posts: 1,471

I'm sure the op thought he was backed-up with raid1, I made the same suggestion on Fredmiranda to him 2 days ago and he never responded. Hope going forward he realizes that raid is not a backup and  in the future uses a sensible backup strategy and dose not count on raid.  RAID OF ANY KIND IS NOT A BACK UP!

-- hide signature --

Doug

Thanks, Doug.  I recovered all the data from the drive using Data Rescue 3.  Drivewarrior failed big time.

I back all files to 2nd drive and the most important to a third drive.  I also have a 4th drive that I've copied the portfolio stuff to.

Anyway, this is a lesson learned about RAID.

I'm going back to my trusty old system of backing up to multiple hard drives.

Doug R wrote:

I'm sure the op thought he was backed-up with raid1, I made the same suggestion on Fredmiranda to him 2 days ago and he never responded. Hope going forward he realizes that raid is not a backup and  in the future uses a sensible backup strategy and dose not count on raid.  RAID OF ANY KIND IS NOT A BACK UP!

-- hide signature --

Doug

I got back everything.  The only thing I lost was $108 on the Drivewarrior which was completely useless.  Data Rescue 3 was worth every penny.

Doug R wrote:

-- hide signature --

Doug

webfrasse wrote:

Stu 5 wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

Stu 5 wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --

Mikael

DW will only read the drive if it can and won't write anything unless you decide to. The temporary rebuilt desktop is not written anywhere. Just shows what DW could recover. As I also said, in this case DW isn't the tool obviously as it can't see the drive...duh.

Not sure what you did to your friends computer...further damage or what?

Maybe you should also read up on what DW actually does, http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

-- hide signature --

Mikael

First of all I did not use DW on the computer. Someone else did. The I.T department of a college. As soon as I knew that had been used I knew it would be an issue. It took a data recovery company to recover the data and when I say data recovery company I don't mean a computer shop pretending to be one. All this company does is recover data and their clients are worldwide. As soon as they got it they asked what had been used to try to recover data and then added 'please don't say DW'. Also even the local Apple store says there are times when you use DW and times when you don't and if you do it can make things worse. I am well aware of what DW does but you might not be or rather what can happen when it should have not been used?

Joe Tam wrote:

I got back everything.  The only thing I lost was $108 on the Drivewarrior which was completely useless.  Data Rescue 3 was worth every penny.

Doug R wrote:

-- hide signature --

Doug

Great news Joe! The trouble is a lot of people swear by DW and don't realise it is not good for everything but tell you it is. Same as Data Rescue is only good for certain things and for your need was spot on.

One tip, avoid buying two drives at a time that are from the same batch as if it is a bad batch (and it does happen sometimes) your backup of the backup will most likely to go soon afterwards as well.

Joe Tam wrote:

DW and DR do different things and the what they do they do good. It's not an Apples to Apples comparison. In your case when the drive didn't mount properly DR is the tool. DW needs to be able to mount the drive (in my experience at least) and in those cases where Disk Utility can show incorrect file systems that it's can't fix DW is the tool I try first. I've have had a few of those situations where I recovered files and been able to repair the dis as well after having recovered the files. DR will not do the repair part, only the recover part.

Another personal favorite is Drive Genius from the makers of DR. It does some of the stuff that DW does, but again, a little differently.

Doug R wrote:

-- hide signature --

Doug

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads