Which flash for my K-5 IIs?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
RichardRE Regular Member • Posts: 112

Since using my older flash from my MX would 'fry' my K-5's electronics, I need to purchase a new flash. It does, however, work on my backup camera, the Panasonic LX-3.

A little background: I will never have an indoor studio; the world serves that purpose. Indoors, camera on a tripod, for family type pictures, I may wish to try off-camera flash. But bounce flash may work also.

My lens is a Sigma 17-50 f2.8, and on the K-5 IIS, low light does not seem to be a problem within 15 feet. It’s inside buildings where flash is allowed (travels), and outdoor fill-in flash that I may need a boost beyond the built-in flash. I also have Gary Fong’s “Puffer” for my built-in flash and would like to experiment with his filters sometime.

So, travels, Granddaughters (etc.), and landscapes is where I concentrate my photography.

Having spent days pouring over reviews, opinions, and comparisons here and in other forums, I found the following three flashes may work for me:

1) Metz 52 AF-1

2) Sigma EF 610 DG Super

3) Pentax AF 540 FGZ

The Metz 58 AF-2 may be more than I need (price is not the deterrent).

Does anyone have a different order to consider or even a different flash for my list?

Comments are appreciated and thanks.

-- hide signature --

Richard

Pentax K-5 IIs, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC HSM, LX3, Pentax MX w/Pentax 40-80 & Soligor 80-200 f4.5 lenses, Lightroom 4.3, CS5

RichardRE's gear list:RichardRE's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +3 more
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,214
Re: Which flash for my K-5 IIs?

RichardRE wrote:

1) Metz 52 AF-1

Nicely made and some future proofing without returning flash

2) Sigma EF 610 DG Super

Powerful but may require re-chipping which though Sigma do for free can be limiting.

Not as well built as others nice price and nice feature set

3) Pentax AF 540 FGZ

Feature full and well made supports external power

The Metz 58 AF-2 may be more than I need (price is not the deterrent).

What about the Metz 50 AF 2 (nice wireless slave but cant be controller)

And if were going to be compete Pentax 360 and the rumoured new flash, The 360 makes a nice controller in a wireless setup

Does anyone have a different order to consider or even a different flash for my list?

Comments are appreciated and thanks.

-- hide signature --

Richard

Pentax K-5 IIs, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC HSM, LX3, Pentax MX w/Pentax 40-80 & Soligor 80-200 f4.5 lenses, Lightroom 4.3, CS5

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,549

What about the ongnuo Flash Speedlite YN-560 II?

Does this work well with Pentax?

It is very cheap and gets good reviews, some even from professionals on the internet.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

fotobert
fotobert Contributing Member • Posts: 916

Hi Richard,

I bought the Metz 58AF-2 half a year ago and I would really recommend it. Here in GER it is a bit cheaper than the Pentax flash, I read somewhere, that it is just the other way round in the US.

My reasons for the Metz are:

Firmware upgradable via USB by user
Automatic mode
Servo Mode
external battery pack for 1s recharge time (flash to flash)

Works good, feels got, results are fine

fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +18 more
fotobert

Hi Simon,

this one only works with Canon / Nikon in *-TTL mode. Full manual operation is not everyone's thing.

Have a nice day

Albert

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +18 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,549

fotobert wrote:

Hi Simon,

this one only works with Canon / Nikon in *-TTL mode. Full manual operation is not everyone's thing.

Have a nice day

Albert

Doesn't the TTL mode only work for DA, FA etc. lenses?

Full manual is probably what I would be using as most of my lenses are MF and indeed the latest acquisitions are M42 screw!

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

OP RichardRE Regular Member • Posts: 112

Thanks Simon, I will check out the ongnuo Flash Speedlite YN-560 II.

-- hide signature --

-Richard

fotobert wrote:

Hi Richard,

I bought the Metz 58AF-2 half a year ago and I would really recommend it. Here in GER it is a bit cheaper than the Pentax flash, I read somewhere, that it is just the other way round in the US.

My reasons for the Metz are:

Firmware upgradable via USB by user
Automatic mode
Servo Mode
external battery pack for 1s recharge time (flash to flash)

Works good, feels got, results are fine

Thanks, Fotobet, I will re-consider the 58.

-- hide signature --

-Richard

sorry, Fotobert, forgot the 'r'.

-- hide signature --

-Richard

fotobert

AFAIK the Yongnuo YN 560-II only supports i-TTL and e-TTL with Canon and Nikon cameras. With Pentax it does neither support TTL nor P-TTL. This is no question of the lens but of the flash capability to support this mode.

With M-Lenses only TTL would work (but not with every Pentax camera, the K-5 does NOT), P-TTL requires the electronic contacts introduced with the A-lenses.

Have a nice day

Albert

fotobert wrote:

AFAIK the Yongnuo YN 560-II only supports i-TTL and e-TTL with Canon and Nikon cameras. With Pentax it does neither support TTL nor P-TTL. This is no question of the lens but of the flash capability to support this mode.

With M-Lenses only TTL would work (but not with every Pentax camera, the K-5 does NOT), P-TTL requires the electronic contacts introduced with the A-lenses.

Have a nice day

Albert

Thanks for the info Albert. So I am wondering if my Sigma ex will use P-TTL? Is the 'A' the 'A' in the 'DA' Pentax lens?

-- hide signature --

-Richard

bettyswolloks
bettyswolloks Regular Member • Posts: 180

I have IIs and can recommend the af540. Well built and it has plenty of features.

bettyswolloks's gear list:bettyswolloks's gear list
Pentax Optio I-10 Kodak DCS560 Pentax K10D Pentax Q Nikon D600 +13 more

bettyswolloks wrote:

I have IIs and can recommend the af540. Well built and it has plenty of features.

Thanks for the +1 for the 540.

-Richard

Browntee Forum Member • Posts: 99

Hello

My 3 choices would be Metz 58 af-2, pentax 540 and the pentax 360. All three have wireless, p-ttl, and auto flash capabilities. I have the k5 and I find p-ttl a little unpredictable so I tend to use auto flash much more. Just like your old MX:-)

Good luck

TB

Browntee's gear list:Browntee's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-3 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +6 more

Browntee wrote:

Hello

My 3 choices would be Metz 58 af-2, pentax 540 and the pentax 360. All three have wireless, p-ttl, and auto flash capabilities. I have the k5 and I find p-ttl a little unpredictable so I tend to use auto flash much more. Just like your old MX:-)

Good luck

TB

Thanks, TB. I was leaning to the 52 but it does not have auto. So looks like the 58 AF-2 for me.

-- hide signature --

-Richard

soheil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,019

Welcome to digital Pentax.

I've got both Pentax 540 and 360. The 540 is the obvious choice there between. It's powerful and fully compatible. But there are some shortcomings:

1- No stroboscopic mode

2- Not weatherproved

3- Slow recycling time (although on par with other flashes available for Pentax) which slightly improves by using external battery pack (6 to 4.5")

The 360 is good but there is no swivelling beside the same shotcomings of 540.

However, if I had to choose among all competitors I'd still go with 540 or Metz 580 II.

Best regards,

Soheil

-- hide signature --

It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more

soheil wrote:

Welcome to digital Pentax.

I've got both Pentax 540 and 360. The 540 is the obvious choice there between. It's powerful and fully compatible. But there are some shortcomings:

1- No stroboscopic mode

2- Not weatherproved

3- Slow recycling time (although on par with other flashes available for Pentax) which slightly improves by using external battery pack (6 to 4.5")

The 360 is good but there is no swivelling beside the same shotcomings of 540.

However, if I had to choose among all competitors I'd still go with 540 or Metz 580 II.

Best regards,

Soheil

Thanks for your hands-on analysis Scheil.

-- hide signature --

-Richard

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads