Moire...

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
asahi man Contributing Member • Posts: 946
Re: Moire...

There was never and there is never a K-3 in FF,this is only the internetnonsense.

This year is going to the highest class of APS-C.

Meuh
Meuh Veteran Member • Posts: 3,105

I've had moire from my standard k5 when shooting my parrot, I don't have any samples online or at hand to post though.

Meuh wrote:

I've had moire from my standard k5 when shooting my parrot, I don't have any samples online or at hand to post though.

I use the 5s since the first day,since Preseries,more than 30.000pictures,most in lower light with aperture between 1,4 and 2,8 and lots with max 4,0 and i can not find much more moire than with use other cameras.

Sure,the moire is there,but other pictureproblems are easier to produce.

I can find moire also in the EOS 5MKIII,no problem

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 24,483

Good to hear AM, if Pentax can continue to produce the best APSC bodies it will be the best marketing strategy IMO.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
OP Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 5,386

asahi man wrote:

There was never and there is never a K-3 in FF,this is only the internetnonsense.

Thanks for the input. I'm not a big fan of larger files. I have 1.5+TB library already. I may go for 5IIs sooner.

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Nikon D500 Pentax K-1
brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337

Greyser wrote:

asahi man wrote:

Thanks for the input. I'm not a big fan of larger files. I have 1.5+TB library already. I may go for 5IIs sooner.

+1

I might go for the K-5 IIs sooner rather than later myself.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,035

So now i have to wait until Sept/Oct to replace my K-5... thats like 3 years, i know its a good camera but its getting old, come on Pentax we deserve the K-3 before fall!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,028

So now i have to wait until Sept/Oct to replace my K-5... thats like 3 years, i know its a good camera but its getting old, come on Pentax we deserve the K-3 before fall!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

The K5IIs is a wonderful camera, but in all honesty, the main upgrade for me is with landscape shooting with my Zeiss lenses, there it is easy to see a substantial gain in IQ. For birding with the Sigma 500/4.5, I think a K3 with Nikon D7100-like AF upgrade and 24mp would be the way to go, only I hope Pentax has hold of a 24mp sensor that has the same superb noise control of the K5. Ghe Nikon seems quite a bit noisier at 800 iso than the K5IIs (which is really véry good at iso 800), and that sort of undoes the benefit of higher mp for cropping. Íf the K3 has the same DR and noise control as the K5 series at 24mp, and has a substantial AF upgrade that also improves focussing accuracy with the Sigma tele's, than the K3 would be thé birding camera.
But there's a lot of "if" (it seems that the K5IIs is dead accurate with the DA560, so we might have to settle with the temperamental Sigma screw drive focus inconsistency, even with further improved AF).
Also, 24mp is really stretching it on APSC, with the only main benefit being higher resolution at lower iso without cropping (landscape), because noise increase undoes other benefits.
Moiré is really the very least of concerns, the few times you see hints of it at full view, it takes about 20 seconds to get rid of it in Capture one or lightroom. Both feature moire- removal on a layer, so it does not harm the rest of your image. The K5IIs by the way, *seems* to have SR working better also.

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Sony Alpha a7R II Pentax HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW HD Pentax DA AF 1.4X AW Rear Converter Zeiss Loxia 35 +1 more
Kmieciu New Member • Posts: 7

asahi man wrote:

Greyser wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Hi Greyser,

Are you thinking about getting a K-5 IIs?

I've been considering it myself.

Ron

Yes. My k-5 is 2 years old and 60+K shots young. Who knows what the new K-3 or whatever else sensor is. If it is introduced in April, it going to take about a year to get a camera in stores and at least first performance info.

The K-3? comes in Sptember,in Sommer we see the new mediumclass bodys.

Best regards

Hi, asahi man

There is something that I don't understand.

As far as I know in past threads concerning future products from Pentax You said that K-3 ( K-?) which in mine understaning means 24 MP high-end DSLR camera will be released around April  ?.

So was there a change of plans ? or are we  talking about different cameras ?

Regards

Kmieciu's gear list:Kmieciu's gear list
Nikon D300 Pentax K-5 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35
james45 Regular Member • Posts: 158

asahi man wrote:

So the high class camera - the 24mpix one that was rumoured to be announced in April - is now going to be September? Groan. That's ages...

forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

In order to see moiré, in addition to weak or no AA filter, one needs to have a lens that would have still high contrast on those high spatial frequencies. Lenses work as low-pass filters, not many providing sufficient contrast for moiré patterns to occur. As a corollary, FF camera with the same MP is more susceptible to moiré than APS-C or smaller sensor.

I frequently notice moiré with Pentax-FA 24-90mm and 28-90mm lenses, even though Sony NEX-5N I'm using those lenses with has a weak AA filter:

BlueHeron74 Forum Member • Posts: 92

For birds/critters, I mostly shoot hand held.  For the most part, I haven't had any problems with moire/false color shooting hand held.

When I use a tripod, I have seen some moire/false color.  A while back I posted some pictures of a tufted titmouse with moire/false color.   A lot of detail was lost in the uploading to DPR, so I don't know how much good it will be view them.  But, they should still be in my gallery.   I haven't shot many birds since then using a tripod.

For critters, this lovely lady is typical of what to expect with fur when shooting from a tripod at close distances:

DA 300, f/5.6 full size.  I was focusing on her chin (center point focus)

fur crop

The green stands out more.  But the same hair can be purple and green.  The red spots blend into the brown fairly well.

Whisker crop

It is difficult to see, but zoomed in, the lightly colored whisker alternates between green, blue, purple and a reddish color.   In real life, the whisker looked black to me.  I wouldn't call the whisker a moire pattern, but I believe the false color is caused by the lack of AA filter.

I keep meaning to make some comparison shots with the K5, but I haven't had a chance yet.

BlueHeron74's gear list:BlueHeron74's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Nikon D800 Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +22 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,035

No those whiskers have no issues due to lack of an AA filter, they may appear black most of the time but when light reflects off of it it can do so in different colours, you can't see such detail with your eye unless you're up close with a magnifying glass in the same conditions.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Thank you for posting. I don't think there is a Moire though.

This grade of Moire,i can produce with every camera,so thats not a real problem to use the K-5IIs i think.

I have not one picture with disturbing moire and 100% is not to use for me.

I never will own a dslr with aa filter anymore

I shoot birds mostly

BlueHeron74 Forum Member • Posts: 92

Thanks for correcting me.  I knew it was not moire, but I have always assumed the effects were an artifact of bayer sensors.   I have been seeing a few more with the k5 iis then earlier cameras.  But that is probably because I am looking for false colors more.

BlueHeron74's gear list:BlueHeron74's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Nikon D800 Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads