I wrote a Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye Review

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
I wrote a Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye Review

I wanted to post the review here, in the Micro Four Thirds forum, but DPReview put it in the Third Party Lens forum, instead. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

See my Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT here. Short story - I really like it. Seems an outstanding bargain.

Here are the photos I included in the review (I've only had the lens for a few days, so not a lot to choose from, yet):

I processed this in LightRoom 4.3, applying kenw's Stereographic projection profile and a few other minor tweaks, then continued processing it in Nik Silver Efex.

One second unbraced handheld. Processing: LR 4.3, no defishing profile, Nik Color Efex.

LR 4.3, Stereographic lens profile, Nik Silver Efex.

LR 4.3, Stereographic lens profile, VSCO presets.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
Wallybipster Senior Member • Posts: 1,521
Lovely!

That lens is definitely the must-have bargain for anyone who knows how to put a fisheye to work.  It still blows my mind sometimes with what it is capable of on my OM-D, and I would write an epic poem praising it if I had the writing skills.

I really enjoyed those pics, especially that night shot with the nifty processing.  Way to get the most out of the camera and lens.

Wally

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
flbrit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,267
Many thanks for posting .. I have a Q?

texinwien wrote:

I wanted to post the review here, in the Micro Four Thirds forum, but DPReview put it in the Third Party Lens forum, instead. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

See my Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT here. Short story - I really like it. Seems an outstanding bargain.

Here are the photos I included in the review (I've only had the lens for a few days, so not a lot to choose from, yet):

tex

First, great shots and processing.

Do you have an idea about the apprx wide angle this de fish equates to?

I would very much like to too see a before/after shot to get some idea of the de fish edited angle of view.

Brian

Below is a link to a slide show of some of my snaps (you may have to copy and paste)

http://briandrinkwater.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Slide-Shows/28194522_dDKzmW#!i=2384402388&k=TJmRb5p

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony a7R II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +14 more
David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,233
Great stuff!

This little fisheye is optically *outrageously* good. The build materials are plastic-y enough to make me worry how it'll hold up in the long term...but, man, did they ever nail it with the optics. Maybe I'll buy a second one as backup. 

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Leica M10 +7 more
stefano888
stefano888 Senior Member • Posts: 1,038
Re: I wrote a Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye Review

Very nice lens and very nice pics.

The second pic is outstanding! Thank you for remembering me the stereographic projection profile that i did forget!

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)
stefano-italy

stefano888's gear list:stefano888's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +9 more
jcr4486 Regular Member • Posts: 334

Nice Photos !

I need to have a closer look at that lens !!

Am I recognizing Klagenfurt on those photos ?

Best regards,

Pedro

jcr4486's gear list:jcr4486's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Nikko aus London Senior Member • Posts: 1,141

Nice job on the dragon, Tex.  BTW, I have the Nik plug-ins & love 'em too.  Have you looked at the Fisheye Hemi for de-fishing?

Nikko

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
caloymiranda Regular Member • Posts: 315
How did you install the lens profiles?

Cool review! I plan on getting one myself soon so I downloaded those profiles you mentioned but I can't seem to install them on lightroom.

I've been trying for the past hour to no avail.  I'm using LR 4.2 on a mac.

I installed them here: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles.

I already tried making a separate folder (Samyang) and even tried putting them on an already existing folder (Samsung) but still, I can't see them when I go to the develop module.  Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks.

caloymiranda's gear list:caloymiranda's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,737

Good pictures here.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +6 more
Lucas McDonald
Lucas McDonald Regular Member • Posts: 309

Great pics , I have this lens lined up for my next lens purchase , its at a very good affordable price for many.

Lucas McDonald's gear list:Lucas McDonald's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +2 more
yonsito Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: How did you install the lens profiles?

I think you need RAW files.

yonsito's gear list:yonsito's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
OP texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Good Question - Maybe someone has the answer

flbrit wrote:

texinwien wrote:

tex

First, great shots and processing.

Thanks!

Do you have an idea about the apprx wide angle this de fish equates to?

I don't, but I'd also like to find out. Maybe someone will drop by with an answer.

I would very much like to too see a before/after shot to get some idea of the de fish edited angle of view.

Before:

Here's the image with no defishing profile applied.

After:

Here's the same image with kenw's Stereogrphic LightRoom/Adobe Camera Raw profile applied (plus boosted contrast and some other tweaks).

I may try to get a picture of a brick wall and upload the output with no correction, as well as with the 3 different types of correction kenw's profiles allow.

tex

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
How to install kenw's samyang lens profiles on Windows 7

caloymiranda wrote:

Cool review!

Thanks! I'm having a blast with this little lens.

I plan on getting one myself soon so I downloaded those profiles you mentioned but I can't seem to install them on lightroom.

I've been trying for the past hour to no avail.  I'm using LR 4.2 on a mac.

It's a little tricky and not too well described. I've only installed the profiles on a PC running Windows 7. On a Win 7 PC, they should be placed directly in the following directory:

C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\

I installed them here: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles.

It could be that you need to add the \1.0\Downloaded\ directory inside LensProfiles, then add the files in there. If you get it worked out on your mac, please let us know what the working recipe was

I already tried making a separate folder (Samyang) and even tried putting them on an already existing folder (Samsung) but still, I can't see them when I go to the develop module.  Is there something I'm missing here?#

The last thing you may be missing is that the profiles show up under 'Panasonic' and not 'Rokinon' or 'Samyang' in the LR lens profiels list.

Thanks.

I've actually modified my copy so the lens maker is listed as 'Rokinon' and the Lens Name is correct, plus a couple of other modifications - kenw's were built with a Panasonic DMC-GH2 in mind, and he has some labels specific to that camera and brand in the profiles.

tex

Some More Links on De-Fishing

Nikko aus London wrote:

Nice job on the dragon, Tex.  BTW, I have the Nik plug-ins & love 'em too.  Have you looked at the Fisheye Hemi for de-fishing?

Nikko

Thanks, Nikko. I was out for a casual afternoon / evening stroll in Klagenfurt (southern Austria) with my wife and mother-in-law. They were shopping and strolling, I was strolling and snapping

I'll definitely go back with more gear and more time to take photos, one of these days.

I haven't tried Fisheye Hemi  yet. Have you, and, if so, what's your opinion of it?

Here are a couple of links to additional discussions about defishing this lens:

1. kenw's original thread about his ACR/LR lens profiles for the Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye, including a number of conversion examples shared by different users
  2. A discussion about defishing Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye lens with example images defished using Fisheye Hemi
  3. A review of the Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye wherein the author discusses defishing and provides a few sample defished images

I'd like to build up a nice set of links and resources on this lens, both for my use and for others who own or are considering purchasing this little gem.

tex

raymb Regular Member • Posts: 494
Re: De-Fishing with Hemi

Hi, Not a very inspiring photo but an example of using Hemi. It is available as trial for photoshop.

I like it because it is a one click operation, and cheap.

out of camera

de-fished with Hemi

perspective correction photoshop

raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Thanks Tex

Very interesting and thanks again for taking the time to respond. I'm used to shooting with 16mm on my D800e and am really looking to match that when using my GX1. (MFT terms 8 mm)

Looks like de fish software with a little tweaking may work out. This fish eye sure is great value for money. I'm adding it to my must consider list.

Now if anyone knows if it does not have a hot spot when shooting Infra Red, I'll certainly buy it. (I actually doubt if anyone knows so I may take the risk and try, not any places where I live where I can test it out)

-- hide signature --

Brian
Below is a ink to a slide show of some of my snaps (you have to copy and paste)
http://briandrinkwater.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Slide-Shows/28194522_dDKzmW#!i=2384402388&k=TJmRb5p

Sony a7R II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +14 more

Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Below is a ink to a slide show of some of my snaps (you have to copy and paste)

FoolyCooly Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484

Nice! I'll have to have a look. Is that your finger in the bottom left of the frame? I have trouble holding my E-PL5 and Rokinon 7.5. I really need to pay attention to how I hold the camera when using that lens BUT WOW, I do love the results.

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902

I use Hemi-Full PS/PSE plugin with my PL 8 mm fisheye. Really does a good job and very easily. For, as I recall, $25, a great investment.

I tried the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower version. I found that on bright days I had to crank up the exposure compensation to avoid a very dark image; I think one of the reviews mentions that.

The choice of focus markings on the lens was strange, too.  Goes from 0.25 ft to infinity.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
raymb Regular Member • Posts: 494

Hi, Yes it is my finger, I  haven't yet learned how to control it. My wife is also now used to being told "your in the frame" when she is standing by my shoulder.

The Samsung is fast becoming my favorite lens, and one of the sharpest.

Cheers Ray

raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads