Photoshop upgrade no longer possible

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 24,844
Re: You can always buy Elements for $79

Marty4650 wrote:

The current version of Adobe Photoshop Elements is pretty much just like the last year's version of Adobe Photoshop. And it's bargain priced.

Unless you are a graphic designer, or a professional photographer, you probably don't need the entire CS7 program. Nice to have for sure, but certainly not worth $700 to have.

And if you are a working professional, then you can write off the cost as a business expense.

So wheres the problem?

There is no PS CS7 yet!!!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +29 more
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 7,240
Re: Photoshop upgrade no longer possible

Gene L. wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Or they are pushing people to cheaper products that do most of what they want:  Lightroom.

Adobe slashed the price when v4 came out from $300 to just $150 for the full version and the upgrade version from $99 to $69 (or was it $79).  Lightroom does all I want and the little else I do Photoshop Elements 5 does nicely for my needs.  $69 every 2 years for a  new version of Lightroom is cheap.  Go that route!

Elements can be a frustrating experience for those who are used to the significantly better tool set offered by Photoshop. When trying to do some edits for my father, who has a recent edition of Elements, I about went crazy trying to do the edits to which I am accustomed using Photoshop. It is a completely different and limited program.

Guess I will be using CS3 for a long time to come.

Nothing wrong with CS3 ... I will be using this until I find something truly compelling to replace it with. I use object remover in Paint Shop Pro in the meantime, which does a rather good job (see the lights in the top right corner):

Cheers

Deed

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624

Larrycf wrote:

I think it's sad (and greedy) that Adobe no longer offers upgrade pricing on Photoshop and other Creative Suite software. They want to force everyone to the cloud and pay endlessly for a subscription. Unfortunately some of us don't have deep pockets to do this so, reluctantly, I will be looking for alternative software. Too bad. I think Adobe will lose a lot of customers from this move.

As long as the RAW conversion files are updateable for whatever camera one has, it may not matter, as many others, I have  A LOT to learn in PS CS6 and LR 3 and both have whatever I need, along with my newly purchased Nik bundle.

I was blessed, I got ALL at reduced pricing, from LR3 on special cant remember exactly, PS CS6 for 190 bucks roughly, new on special, and now a Nik bundle for 149 bucks.

Wonderful and I don't need any more software.

Maybe its different for working pros, but then, their software can be amortised over say two years anyway, as a cost of production.

That said, I suspect this may also be that because of competition, pricing will come down, hence the developers have to make the money back in some way.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

RobertSigmund
RobertSigmund Forum Pro • Posts: 10,750
Re: Gimp

Luke Kaven wrote:

Has GIMP acquired 16-bit file editing support yet?  That would really tip the scales in its favor.

I have never considered Gimp seriously, but if Adobe continue like this, I might. I think GIMP is in the process of implementing 16-bit fully. Whether it is in the official release already, I would have to check.

Hey Adobe, this not an empty threat!

I already skipped their web editor when they gave up Go Live in favour of Dreamweaver.

I switched to Expression Web. It is a lot of work to switch when you have a huge website, but I did it nevertheless. I, like most customers, just do not like to be screwed by overgreedy corporations. Adobe must finally understand this.

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +2 more
richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,563

I haven't verified this myself, but this may help.

This is not free copies of CS2 - sorry to disappoint. It is just some special serial numbers for CS2, which cicrcumvent the usual piracy check.

AFAIK these were made available by Adobe specifically for the use of licensed owners of CS2, so they could continue as usual, when Adobe took down the licensing server for that product.

If you don't already own a CS2 license, and you install the software, and enter one of these licenses so as to use the software beyond the trial period - just so it is clear - you are pirating Photoshop.

There's still an EULA which requires you to have bought the software, and you don't get into the software unless you have clicked "Agree" to that.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
Wayne Larmon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,403

richardplondon wrote:

I haven't verified this myself, but this may help.

This is not free copies of CS2 - sorry to disappoint. It is just some special serial numbers for CS2, which cicrcumvent the usual piracy check.

AFAIK these were made available by Adobe specifically for the use of licensed owners of CS2, so they could continue as usual, when Adobe took down the licensing server for that product.

Here is where I get confused.  The poster to which I replied owns a legitimate copy of CS1 and Adobe had activated it in the pat.  Then Adobe took down the Activation server for CS1.  But Adobe apparently told the poster that he is SOL when he needed to reinstall CS1.

If you don't already own a CS2 license, and you install the software, and enter one of these licenses so as to use the software beyond the trial period - just so it is clear - you are pirating Photoshop.

OK, then what is Adobe doing when they say that owners of CS1 apparently no longer have a perpetual license?   Is this any kind of lawlessness?

There's still an EULA which requires you to have bought the software, and you don't get into the software unless you have clicked "Agree" to that.

Did the EULA for CS1 specifically say that the license was only good up until, say, 2012 and was invalid after that?

I haven't verified this either.

Wayne

kb2zuz Veteran Member • Posts: 3,202
To be clear, you can upgrade.

You can upgrade, however upgrade pricing is only available through Adobe.com, you can't buy it through B&H. And as of the this year you can only upgrade from the previous version (CS5 or CS5.5) You cannot upgrade from CS3 or CS4 to CS6 (though they made an exception when CS6 first came out for the first 6 months you could upgrade from CS3 or CS4).

I don't like this policy personally because I was tend to go towards the every-other-version updates, and sometimes a little longer. So 4->5.5->7->CS3->CS5. I do not find the minor improvements to be worth the upgrade price every 18 months, however I have felt the amount of improvements you get in 2 versions justifies the upgrade price every 3 years for me.

It might end up being cost effective for some people to register in a class that qualifies them for the educational discount.

There is a lot of push-back on the Creative Cloud. We will see what happens.

-- hide signature --

\~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +6 more
Re: Wrong! Upgrade from the last version still possible

Yes, and you have to do so through Adobe.com you can no longer buy an upgrade version from B&H or Amazon or something like that. Which might be why some people mistakenly think they cannot upgrade at all anymore.

-- hide signature --

\~K

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +6 more
Yes you can! Here's the links.

You can buy a CS5->CS6 or CS5.5->CS6 upgrade.

Photoshop CS6 ($199):

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.html

Photoshop CS6 Extended ($399):

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopextended/buying-guide-upgrades.html

CS6 Web & Design Premium ($375 from CS5.5, $750 from CS5):

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/design-web-premium/buying-guide-upgrades.html

Other versions can be found here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/upgradeinfo.html

Of course every page is filled with ads for creative suite but you can buy just an upgrade.

-- hide signature --

\~K

Colin Franks
Colin Franks Senior Member • Posts: 1,448
Cloud

When upgrading from CS5 to CS6, I was on the phone to one of the reps and I recall him saying that in the future they were eventually going to be going the route of "cloud" only, and I got a sense that he meant sooner rather than later.

Given that this obviously will go over as well as a root canal with end users, I can't understand why they're making this choice.

-- hide signature --

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +18 more
jasomill
jasomill Junior Member • Posts: 33

David Hull wrote:
Get used to it, this is the way it is going. As I pointed out above this is the standard methodology for companies that produce software tools. The concept is good, the problem is the price. 
Regardless, I think we are going to see a lot more of this, the EDA tool companies (and many others) have already shown it to be a workable model.

In contrast to Adobe CS, I don't imagine hobbyists and self-employed professionals making up a large market for EDA tools. Businesses often prefer recurring expenses in cases where individuals would not.

As for pricing, Microsoft's is in many ways worse: what was once a $150 (street) "single-user/two-PC" Office license has now become a $150/year subscription or two $189 (MSRP = street, apparently) "single PC" licenses. At least Adobe has maintained pricing and licensing terms for non-Creative Cloud customers.

Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,012

I checked this point about 4 weeks ago, and found that there were plenty of things that Elements cannot do that PS CS6 can do. Among the things I use are:

• the Channels panel
  • the Pen tool
  • the Paths panel
  • CMYK and LAB color
  • direct layer masking
  • Layer comps
  • HDR imaging
  • text on a path
  • the Color Balance adjustment
  • advanced color management

There are others, I'm sure. PS Elements is a good deal, but doesn't work the same as the classic PS Interface, and isn't really aimed at the in-depth user. I've spent years learning PS, and will stay with that unless I'm forced to do something else.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
jasomill
jasomill Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: Cloud

Colin Franks wrote:

When upgrading from CS5 to CS6, I was on the phone to one of the reps and I recall him saying that in the future they were eventually going to be going the route of "cloud" only, and I got a sense that he meant sooner rather than later.

Maybe so and maybe not, but do you honestly think Adobe management would share confidential, unannounced strategic plans with phone reps?

While I wouldn't expect Adobe to eliminate perpetual licensing altogether, it wouldn't surprise me to see perpetual student licenses eliminated in favor of student cloud pricing and the number of retail SKUs dramatically reduced (to Master Collection and the most popular individual products like Photoshop and Acrobat, say).

Colin Franks
Re: Cloud

jasomill wrote:

Maybe so and maybe not, but do you honestly think Adobe management would share confidential, unannounced strategic plans with phone reps?

It is indeed pure speculation, but I suspect that those who work within the culture of Adobe do become privy to such information.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +18 more
Colin Franks

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I checked this point about 4 weeks ago, and found that there were plenty of things that Elements cannot do that PS CS6 can do. Among the things I use are:

• the Channels panel
  • the Pen tool
  • the Paths panel
  • CMYK and LAB color
  • direct layer masking
  • Layer comps
  • HDR imaging
  • text on a path
  • the Color Balance adjustment
  • advanced color management

Does Elements have the "Content Aware" brush?

-- hide signature --

Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,123
This could be a marketing blunder

On paper... it sounds great for Adobe. Rent a program rather than sell it.

If people are willing to pay $20 per month, that means $240 per year for every user! This could literally bring in billions for Adobe.

The only problem with this is people may not be willing to pay this much.

Photoshop is a mature product, and each upgrade just gives you a few more features you probably don't really need. Rather than upgrading, Adobe's customers might just hang on to CS4 or CS5 for another ten years. Or, they just might discover other programs that are much cheaper and work well enough for their needs. Raising pricing this high actually forces your customers to take a good look at your competition. The net result could be a LOSS of revenue, and not a gain.

This has already happened to Microsoft Office. Many people are still hanging on to Office 2003, skipping the upgrades in 2007, 2010 and 2013, because the improvements are relatively minor and unnecessary. Even large corporate users are skipping upgrades, because the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.

Adobe is nuts if they think people need an annual... much less a monthly... upgrade for a product that worked sufficiently well 20 years ago. The truth is... probably less than 5% of their customers actually use most of the new features.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +11 more
Colin Franks
Re: This could be a marketing blunder

Well said Marty, that's what I was thinking.

-- hide signature --

Acmespaceship
Acmespaceship Regular Member • Posts: 273
Re: Gimp 8/16 bit

The current stable release of GIMP (2.8.4) is 8-bit, although some filters and plugins use 16-bit color depth for internal calculations.

The current development version (2.9.x) is 16-bit.  You could download it now, but it's for experimenting, not production work.  Expect it to run slow and crash; this is pre-beta testing.  I've been having a lot of fun with it, but I wouldn't use it on deadline.

The next stable release (2.10) will be 16-bit.  The developers have not set an official release date, but are hinting at late this year.

FYI, even-numbered GIMP versions (2.6, 2.8, 2.10) are stable releases for the public.  Odd-numbered versions are for developers, testers, and adventurers.  A good selection of GIMP builds can be found here and, of course, they are all free: http://www.partha.com/

Greenville Senior Member • Posts: 2,236
Just to be clear - Upgrades are still offered and Adobe as said nothing about doing away with upgrad

I don't know how this thread has got so much life. Upgrades are still easily available on Adobe's site. The only major change adobe has made is removing the upgrade option from those more than 1 generation behind. I guess it also looks like updates are only available through Adobe. Not really a bad idea, creating boxes is pretty expensive, but you also have to give a sizable % to the reseller. Why lose the money in 2013 just go straight download. We did the same several years ago for my software company. Using a fulfillment house to create disks was expensive. No you can only get our software on-line. We have not had a request for a disk for years.

I don't blame Adobe for offering a subscription licensing model, we started this several years ago and found it very successful. We still offer traditional licensing, but we find more new customers choosing subscription. Adobe's price is pretty much standard for the price for a new customer. I don't see any way that it is financially beneficial to an existing customer.

Greenville's gear list:Greenville's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,250
Upgrades are still offered

It is amazing indeed how this thread goes on, but it is sort of Internet in a nutshell. Though the OP was incorrect, and has been shown to be that several times, most posters don't read much of the thread and just step in with one of the following:

- Adobe is bad and greedy [it may be so, but not for this reason];

- There is an alternative

The best one I think was the poster who described his needs: about Photoshop 4, not CS vintage, so no need to upgrade at all, but then went on to say that he would take his [non]business away from Adobe.

This is how internet misinformation gets perpetuated. The bad thing is that it makes it very easy for Adobe to deflect criticism of their present policy by only reacting to the sort of incorrect claim made in the OP.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads