Photoshop upgrade no longer possible

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,693
You can always buy Elements for $79

The current version of Adobe Photoshop Elements is pretty much just like the last year's version of Adobe Photoshop. And it's bargain priced.

Unless you are a graphic designer, or a professional photographer, you probably don't need the entire CS7 program. Nice to have for sure, but certainly not worth $700 to have.

And if you are a working professional, then you can write off the cost as a business expense.

So wheres the problem?

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Kodachrome200 Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Re: Photoshop upgrade no longer possible

your full of it i found it immediately

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Wayne Larmon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,802
Not doing homework? Mmmm

David Hull wrote:

The whole premise of this thread is flawed.  I found the upgrade in less than a minute:

www.adobe.com

select "buy"

Select "For personal and professional use"

scroll down to "Photoshop CS6"

select "buy"

select “Upgrade”…. answer the remaining questions there.

If you go to "Products" and then select "PhotoShop", there is nothing there but Cloud subscription propaganda.  Ever since there was an Adobe site, you did an upgrade by going to "Products", "PhotoShop", and then clicking on "Upgrade."  However, look at it now:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopfamily.html?promoid=KAUCA

Where there used to be two large yellow buttons for "Buy" and "Upgrade", are now two large buttons for subscribing to either the entire Creative Suite, or PhotoShop alone.  And no information about how to do an "perpetual license" upgrade.

It is disingenuous to say that people aren't doing their homework.  It is more like bait and switch.  People should not have to traverse an entire site to find something that has been in one place for a long time but has now moved to a different place.  In the dead of night.

And again, in my experience, if you try the "chat" route, you need to fight another gauntlet of salesmanship before getting a link to the upgrade page.  I have the transcript of my chat.  I clearly asked how to get to the upgrade page and I had to answer a bunch of questions about "finding the best product for my needs" before the sales representative gave me the link.

IMO, any of the "Creative Suite" is long past maturity and, if it wasn't for needing to have an upgraded ACR to support new cameras, there is no pressing need to upgrade any of it.  Adobe knows this, which is why they are desperately trying to move everybody to subscriptions.

I realized this several years ago and attempted to get off the upgrade train by switching to a different raw converter.  (Pixmantec RawShooter Pro)  You probably know what Adobe's response to this was.

If I go much farther with this line of argument, it will probably trigger a move to "Off Topic", so I'm going to stop right here.

Wayne

richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,694
Re: Not doing homework? Mmmm

If you go to "Products" and then select "PhotoShop", there is nothing there but Cloud subscription propaganda.  Ever since there was an Adobe site, you did an upgrade by going to "Products", "PhotoShop", and then clicking on "Upgrade."  However, look at it now:

Where there used to be two large yellow buttons for "Buy" and "Upgrade", are now two large buttons for subscribing to either the entire Creative Suite, or PhotoShop alone.  And no information about how to do an "perpetual license" upgrade.

It is disingenuous to say that people aren't doing their homework.  It is more like bait and switch.  People should not have to traverse an entire site to find something that has been in one place for a long time but has now moved to a different place.  In the dead of night.

When subscription was first available, the priority of Adobe's store was on the boxed product and subscription was linked to in a separate part of the site. Adobe are within their rights to now offer that as the default option, among the other options available; they are within their rights to change their website as they see fit, so long as they do not breach anyone's license contract. They have the commercial right to promote subscription as, in their opinion, the better buy. The user has the right to disagree, and simply ignore this; just as, Microsoft are pushing Office 365 everywhere even though that is not the best answer for everybody.

You don't need to traverse an entire website, to find the other Photoshop options. You just need to know how to follow standard Web conventions for a selector menu -  a boxed button with a downward pointing triangular arrow.

Clicking the "Buy" button takes you a panel which says: "I want buy..." and next to this, it initially shows "Subscription" on a drop-down menu. The other options available on this menu, are "Full" and "Upgrade".

I don't know what their exact motivation is, but IMO they have not strictly hidden these other options, in the sense of making them deliberately inaccessible; since the menu is there specifically so that you CAN select these other options, and is recognisable as a menu, and the choices make logical sense as mutually exclusive alternatives.

They have just required the users of the site to click their mouse button ONCE on this menu.

Anyone who gives up looking for something whenever a webpage does not look just the same as it looked 12-18 months ago, might benefit from getting a little more alert IMO. No offense intended, just saying... change is the only status quo.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,023

Wayne Larmon wrote:

David Hull wrote:

The whole premise of this thread is flawed.  I found the upgrade in less than a minute:

www.adobe.com

select "buy"

Select "For personal and professional use"

scroll down to "Photoshop CS6"

select "buy"

select “Upgrade”…. answer the remaining questions there.

And again, in my experience, if you try the "chat" route, you need to fight another gauntlet of salesmanship before getting a link to the upgrade page.  I have the transcript of my chat.  I clearly asked how to get to the upgrade page and I had to answer a bunch of questions about "finding the best product for my needs" before the sales representative gave me the link.

IMO, any of the "Creative Suite" is long past maturity and, if it wasn't for needing to have an upgraded ACR to support new cameras, there is no pressing need to upgrade any of it.  Adobe knows this, which is why they are desperately trying to move everybody to subscriptions.

I realized this several years ago and attempted to get off the upgrade train by switching to a different raw converter.  (Pixmantec RawShooter Pro)  You probably know what Adobe's response to this was.

If I go much farther with this line of argument, it will probably trigger a move to "Off Topic", so I'm going to stop right here.

Wayne

Yea... they have an option that they hope to get 18 x $30 = $540 versus another one that gets them $200 and you are surprised that they try to steer people toward the first one?  The point is that they did not remove the upgrade option as the OP contended, had he taken a minute to look for it he would have found it.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
David Hull

To me, the biggest issue here is Adobe's pricing.  $29/month ($349/year) is a bit too much to pay for something that I don't use that often.  The question that needs to be answered by Adobe is: exactly what is it they offer for what looks like a 270% price increase?  So, what do I get from the new subscription that I didn't get before?  If they don't answer that in a satisfactory way, customers will moce to other options (even Elements is a good one).

-- hide signature --
RobertSigmund
RobertSigmund Forum Pro • Posts: 10,750
Clear: they want us to rent

The buying option is still there to give them a security net in case the public is not dumb enough.

I depends on us customers whether we let them get their way.

I need:

16 bit

Full Colour Management

Layers

Masks

Channels

CMYK and Lab

A carrier for my phlethora of plug ins

Speed and Reliability

Repair pencil and Patch tool

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +2 more
Toedtoes Contributing Member • Posts: 606

This "limited upgrade" is where Adobe irritated me.  I had a full version of PS4.  I upgraded (legally as there was no limit as to how far back you could go) to CS1.  A couple years later, they limited upgrades to "within 3 versions". My upgrade was 4 versions back.  When my computer crashed and I bought a new one, I had to contact Adobe to get authorization to activate my CS1 because it wouldn't take it from the PS4 files.  They did.  Everything is great.

Fast forward several years.  Another computer dead.  Reload software, call Adobe to get authorization to activate my CS1 (that I've been legally using for 5 years or so) and they refuse.  I'm not allowed to upgrade from PS4 to CS1.  I had registered CS1 so they could see that it was a legal purchase, but they wouldn't budge.  If I wanted Photoshop, I had to pay the $700 full price - I refused.

I ended up with elements, but I'm not as happy.  Getting lightroom helped, but it's a bit more cumbersome going between two software programs.  The main difference nowadays with elements and full photoshop is the "neutering" of tools with 16bit images.

RobertSigmund
RobertSigmund Forum Pro • Posts: 10,750

Toedtoes wrote:

This "limited upgrade" is where Adobe irritated me.  I had a full version of PS4.  I upgraded (legally as there was no limit as to how far back you could go) to CS1.  A couple years later, they limited upgrades to "within 3 versions". My upgrade was 4 versions back.  When my computer crashed and I bought a new one, I had to contact Adobe to get authorization to activate my CS1 because it wouldn't take it from the PS4 files.  They did.  Everything is great.

Fast forward several years.  Another computer dead.  Reload software, call Adobe to get authorization to activate my CS1 (that I've been legally using for 5 years or so) and they refuse.  I'm not allowed to upgrade from PS4 to CS1.  I had registered CS1 so they could see that it was a legal purchase, but they wouldn't budge.  If I wanted Photoshop, I had to pay the $700 full price - I refused.

Of course one could sue. Would make a nice case. But who will bother? Another way would be to go the "illegal" way - in this case mere self-defense! The best way would be to get rid of them alltogether, if only they had no monopoly: Photoshop stands alone.

I ended up with elements, but I'm not as happy.  Getting lightroom helped, but it's a bit more cumbersome going between two software programs.  The main difference nowadays with elements and full photoshop is the "neutering" of tools with 16bit images.

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +2 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,715
Photoshop upgrade is still possible

As has been shown [though the OP does not really admit he was wrong] upgrading from CS5 to CS6 is still possible.

There is much to dislike about Adobe's change in policy, but telling things that are not correct do not help in fighting that.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm X-T1
maxeythecat Regular Member • Posts: 325
Re: Photoshop upgrade is still possible

To me the simple solution is this...go Lightroom. Ever since I've had it I rarely if ever use Photoshop and on the off moment I do, I only use it to resize my photos or some added effects. For the pure photographer, it's Lightroom all the way.

maxeythecat's gear list:maxeythecat's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A230 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A57 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +9 more

RobertSigmund wrote:

Of course one could sue. Would make a nice case. But who will bother? Another way would be to go the "illegal" way - in this case mere self-defense! The best way would be to get rid of them alltogether, if only they had no monopoly: Photoshop stands alone.

It'd make a nice case, but the cost of the lawsuit would far outweigh the outcome for a single customer.  It'd have to be a class action suit to be worthwhile.

I know a lot of people who would take the "illegal" way, I had someone offer me a bootleg copy even.  But, in the end, my own sense of right and wrong outweighs my sense of outrage at their actions.

I definitely considered walking away completely.  Fortunately for Adobe, they had a cost effective work-around (Lightroom + Elements) for me.  Otherwise, I would have been looking at GIMP, etc.  If things continue to change, I might end up doing that anyway.

As to the subscription issue:  I'm a total non-subscriber type person.  I try hard to keep my subscriptions to a minimum - internet and cell phone are the only ones I have at the moment.  The rest, I am quite happy to ignore.  I will go elsewhere if a company pushes me into subscriptions - as long as there is an alternative.  When there isn't an alternative, I'll really start to question the need for the product (heck, maybe I'll become a "straight shooter" and shun all post processing ).

Makinations
Makinations Veteran Member • Posts: 5,688

David Hull wrote:

To me, the biggest issue here is Adobe's pricing.  $29/month ($349/year) is a bit too much to pay for something that I don't use that often.  The question that needs to be answered by Adobe is: exactly what is it they offer for what looks like a 270% price increase?  So, what do I get from the new subscription that I didn't get before?  If they don't answer that in a satisfactory way, customers will moce to other options (even Elements is a good one).

-- hide signature --

I'll just continue to use CS4 until it doesn't work.  It does the few things that I need that LR doesn't.  (And I don't need those very often.)

This is just an opportunity for others to fill this space.

-- hide signature --

This never would have happened if Tedolf was still alive.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smrlabs/

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,694

I agree that Elements is not quite the full replacement for PS, even if you have Lightroom taking care of the Bridge tasks, the ACR tasks, and many of the batch processing, output resizing and conversion, watermarking etc tasks.

But where you are assigning a large percentage of the tonal, hue and detail optimising work to Lightroom before (optionally) going into PS, and reserving PS just for the exceptional pixel-pushing - 8-bit is often fine, IMO, in practice. The kinds of banding etc that you see when you heavily adjust or B&W-convert a straight 8-bit Raw conversion in PS, won't really occur in that more symmetrical workflow.

It is worth noting that LR plays very well with other image editors not by Adobe, in 8-bit or 16-bit. Some cost less than Elements, but all (AFAIK) cost less than Photoshop. You lose the proprietary interaction with PS Smart Objects, PS Merge, PS HDR, as PS Layers - and the ability to pass through a not-yet-saved image purely in memory - but these things are not available anyway when you use a non-concurrent version of PS with LR. So that's no loss really.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
David Hull

Makinations wrote:

David Hull wrote:

-- hide signature --

I'll just continue to use CS4 until it doesn't work.  It does the few things that I need that LR doesn't.  (And I don't need those very often.)

This is just an opportunity for others to fill this space.

The "others" are allready there which is why I am not too worried about this.

-- hide signature --

This never would have happened if Tedolf was still alive.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smrlabs/

-- hide signature --

For me, I don't have a problem with the 8-bit limitation of Elements.  But I know it's a deal killer for others - that's why I mentioned it.  I haven't found much of anything else that the Lightroom - Elements combo doesn't have that my CS1 does have.

I'm good with the Lightroom - Elements combo.  It works for what I do.  But, if necessary upgrades (due to equipment requirements, etc.) get too expensive, then I'll look elsewhere.  If subscription service becomes the only option, I'll look elsewhere (if anyone offers a non-subscription option at that point - otherwise I will have to play the game or leave the field).

Did anyone notice that for a very short time, Adobe was giving away licenses to Photoshop CS2?

Wayne Larmon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,802

Toedtoes wrote:

I haven't verified this myself, but this may help.

Wayne

brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,732

Larrycf wrote:

See my previous reply. Go to adobe's website and try to find and upgrade price to Photoshop CS6...Doesn't exist...only a cloud subscription price.

BS. Google Adobe Store.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Samsung NX1 +30 more
Luke Kaven Veteran Member • Posts: 5,705
Re: Gimp

Has GIMP acquired 16-bit file editing support yet?  That would really tip the scales in its favor.

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,417
Wrong! Upgrade from the last version still possible

If you have PS CS5, you can upgrade to PS CS6. You can no longer skip a version.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads