NEX Birding - Spring Migration (55-210+DH1758)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
JayDreamer
JayDreamer Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: NEX Birding - Spring Migration (55-210+DH1758)

Sir, you really make wonders with SEL55-210 and that tele-converter which is a great inspiration for a newbie like me and gives confidence about that lens combo. Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

Images from the mind are surreal!

JayDreamer's gear list:JayDreamer's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical +7 more
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,491
I love when ducks stop by the swimming pool!

Thank you for the compliments.

And the shot of the duck by your pool...seems to be a common Florida occurrence!  I've had ducks stopping by my pool for quite some time, usually around Spring each year - these two spent about a month and a half, arriving at 1-2pm almost every day and staying often until 5-6pm or so - swimming around, sleeping, and bathing throughout the day...

Every so often, they'd arrive with another duck or two in tow, sort of like they were showing their friends their private 'pond'.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +22 more
zackiedawg
Thank you Jay [nt]
-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +22 more
Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,129
Great pics, Justin! Could you post one original...(55-210+DH1758)

Very well done, Justin.

I usually do birding with my Pentax K-5 DSLR + Sigma 170-500 lens. It's quite good combo for my needs. But now I have also NEX-6 and E55-210 lens and I'm very curious to see how well it works with DH1758 adapter.

Unfortunately your nice pictures are so resized samples that I can't see true performance of that combo...Could you post a couple of original full size samples that we can see performance better?

I would be happy if you could do it

cheers,

Ari

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

zackiedawg
A few other 100% crops

Thank you.  I don't like posting full size shots online, as a precaution to having the shots stolen or used by someone else...it's just become a habit of mine, not because all of my shots are wonderful and someone wants to steal them, but just because if I loosen my rule-of-thumb once, I may end up doing it more and it may come back to bite me (I have had images illegally used and had attempts to sell them or claim them as someone else's).

However, I could provide some 100% crops from the originals, so you can get an idea of the full size resolution's quality.  It might have to wait until the weekend when I've got more time at home to go through the shots and take a few crops.

I have posted some 100% crops from this combo in the past as well, in case it helps...I still have those crops in my Dpreview gallery.  Here are those crops if it helps you, and until I can post additional crops from these shots...

Resized

100% crop

Resize

100% crop

Resize

100% crop

Note that these were all shot in JPG fine mode, not RAW - they are straight from the camera samples without post processing.

View them by clicking on them so they can be seen at larger size.

Hope that helps - I'll see if I can grab a few more 100% crops from some of the recent shots too, if it will help.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Ari Aikomus
Justin...100% crops...

Thank you for 100% crops what you posted. Anyway could you post unprocessed 100% crops for example from these pictures?

regards,

Ari

zackiedawg wrote:

I had to 'thread the needle' with the AF through the reeds to catch this 'so ugly it's cute' moorhen chick

A female red-winged blackbird hanging out in the shadows of the cypress forest - they're usually out in the swamps hanging off the reeds low by the water!

Red-bellied woodpecker lurking up the side of a tree trunk in the shadows, looking for grubs in the bark

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

El Matadurr
El Matadurr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018

Justin, your shots with your 55-210 and TC just keep getting better and better every time I see your posts. That first shot of the ducks could've stood on its own.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6500 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
zackiedawg
Re: Justin...100% crops...

I should be able to post a few for you by the weekend - I'll try to get to them Friday night if I can remember - if not, I'm usually on my computer for at least part of the day on Sunday, so can probably post some crops then.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Matt,

Thank you very much...I must say I was pretty happy with those ducks - they flew by very fast, but stayed in tight formation, which allowed me to catch them in a nice wing pose.  I was only in the normal continuous shooting mode, not speed priority...but it was enough.  I had probably 12 shots of those ducks, of which 4 were properly focused - not too bad a hit rate considering the lack of C-AF tracking - I just kept it in AF-S and cycled the shutter to refocus as needed.  Then it was just down to which of the 5 shots I got had the best light, color, and pose.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Ari Aikomus

zackiedawg wrote:

I should be able to post a few for you by the weekend - I'll try to get to them Friday night if I can remember - if not, I'm usually on my computer for at least part of the day on Sunday, so can probably post some crops then.

-- hide signature --

Justin

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,617

Justin what does that set up give you in reach total with and without  Camera Crop ?

Not sure why but just picked up an Adapter Cheap so might fuddle around with it a bit

and see if I can adapt to my Native lens knowing it would Clip down low but heck if it

does not work might pick up another 55-210 or flip the adapter now that it's in Demand.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
Schwaeble Regular Member • Posts: 327

Just wonderful.

Dave Lively Senior Member • Posts: 1,805
And lots of TCs are just plain bad

zackiedawg wrote:

Indeed - it's a 58mm threaded screw on adapter, made originally for the Sony H2 and H5 superzoom cameras.  A 49mm to 58mm step up ring does the trick for the 55-210...and the results are surprisingly good.  There may be slight variance with the other types of teleextenders out there - some have proven to give very good results, others mixed results. 

I have been looking for a VCL-DH1758 for a few weeks but $140 is the most I will pay so it may be a long time before I get one.  With 5 elements and no moving parts these should really be selling for $80.  I saw the Canon TL-55 1.4X listed on a page of "quality teleconverters" and decided it was worth $20 as an experiment. If anyone else is having similar thoughts let me save you some trouble.

The Canon TC only has 2 elements compared to the 5 elements in 3 groups most of the better ones have so my expectations were low.  I was expecting soft corners with lots of chromatic aberration.  But I was hoping for usable results in the center.  I got the TC yesterday and only had time for a couple of quick test shots before it got dark.  The TC had lots of chromatic aberration as expected but did have decent detail in the center.  What I was not expecting was the very low contrast.  Black ceases to exist with this TC.  Looking at it I do not think it is even coated, let alone multicoated.  Cranking the contrast slider to 100% in Lightroom and playing with the blacks, shadows, highlights and whites helped but I could not get what I consider acceptable results.

I am going to keep looking for a 1758 but what I really want is a native 300mm solution.  I am not holding my breath for that though.

The Canon TC might go back to eBay but since it was only $20 I might save myself and some other photographer some trouble and trash it.

Here are a couple of test shots with and without the converter.  The sparrow was rooting through my yard in the shade.  The camera was in the shade too.  I would hate to see what would happen if sunlight actually touched the converter.  Both of these are 100% crops that were exported from Lightroom with no adjustments.

With Canon TL-55 1.4X

55-210 with no TC

zackiedawg
Re: And lots of TCs are just plain bad

I do remember there were a few pretty poor ones bouncing around.  The ones made by the cheap Chinese 3rd party companies were particularly bad - usually called 'Sakar' or 'Crystal Optics' - I think they're even still around new.  Also, some like your Canon one might have been originally intended as camcorder addons, where the resolution was so much lower that the lower quality didn't matter - I know some of the smaller diameter Sony ones you see around from the Camcorder line were similar - cheap, two elements, no coatings.  Definitely best to stick to the ones designed to go on the superzoom cameras at least - most were 1.7x - Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Raynox, and I think Canon made versions like this.  I think Nikon had one too.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

capt bob wrote:

Justin what does that set up give you in reach total with and without  Camera Crop ?

The add-on itself is a 1.7x - with the 55-210mm at max zoom, you increase to 357mm optically...with the sensor's crop factor it gives you a roughly 530mm equivalent focal in 35mm terms.

Not sure why but just picked up an Adapter Cheap so might fuddle around with it a bit

and see if I can adapt to my Native lens knowing it would Clip down low but heck if it

does not work might pick up another 55-210 or flip the adapter now that it's in Demand.

Can't hurt to try it out!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Thank you [nt]
-- hide signature --

Justin

capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,617
Re: Thank you [nt]

Justin U have an E mail

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
academytim Regular Member • Posts: 163
My DH1758 arrived yesterday

Due to your threads, I picked up a DH1758 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and looks to be in excellent condition. My step ring was delivered today and I'm sure is sitting on my front porch as we speak. I'm curious to see how it does in conjunction with my SEL35f18 to give me a 60mm prime for portraits as well.

academytim's gear list:academytim's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +2 more
zackiedawg
Re: My DH1758 arrived yesterday

Interesting idea - I haven't thought about trying it on any other lenses.  Might be tough on the 35mm lens, as with that wide a focal it may vignette.  Depends on how small the end glass is on the lens.  Let us know if it works!

-- hide signature --

Justin

academytim Regular Member • Posts: 163
Re: My DH1758 arrived yesterday

zackiedawg wrote:

Interesting idea - I haven't thought about trying it on any other lenses.  Might be tough on the 35mm lens, as with that wide a focal it may vignette.  Depends on how small the end glass is on the lens.  Let us know if it works!

-- hide signature --

Justin

Threw it on the 35mm last night to check, and great news...the end glass is small enough that there is no vignetting at all on the SEL35F18.  Next opportunity I have I will actually use this combo to take a photo (it was late last night when I put it on).

academytim's gear list:academytim's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads