Nikon 1 V1 reliability (I'm a sucker for a discounted V1)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Mahmoud Mousef Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Nikon 1 V1 reliability (I'm a sucker for a discounted V1)

I'm a sucker for a sale.

Some things I noticed today, the first day I got my V1 (the latest in a line of cameras I must buy, apparently)

* It's heaver than I thought

* Screen is nicer than I thought.

* it's the first time I've ever seen what looks like a bit of actual grease on the shiny metal lens mount on a new camera that's factory fresh.

* the very thin MADE IN CHINA sticker on the bottom looks like it will come off easily, while the large Nikon sticker on the bottom (which is affixed to a depressed area of the base, unlike the MADE IN CHINA sticker) mentions their Japan roots (and that sure doesn't seem like it's going anywhere but doesn't mention country of origin). Perhaps that is Nikon's goal. But that's getting off the topic.

But what concerns me is it runs hot.

I don't like things that run hot, and I believe they are less reliable. Just like with laptops that are fitted with more advanced graphics cards and processors, heat can sometimes become a problem, and these models often die sooner.

I have just looked this up and others have noticed it getting warm too:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3138007

Mine was getting warm by just taking a few photos indoors, not in any rapid succession and not with the flash and not by doing any video (I tried video later; the slow motion mode is impressive).

Some have had reliability issues with this model.

Is there an up-to-date advisory or something regarding the V1?

I would love to have mine not go back to any service center (ever).

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Seedeich Senior Member • Posts: 2,607
Re: Nikon 1 V1 reliability (I'm a sucker for a discounted V1)

I’ve used the V1 since it was released and never had an issue.

Just keep the sensor at side of the EVF clean to keep it function properly.

-- hide signature --
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 6,126

If you think it gets warm indoors, just wait til when you use it use it outside in really hot weather. Don't worry though, I've had mine since Dec. 2011 and it has never let me down, no matter how hot it got. As already mentioned, the only thing that has been a reliability issue is the tiny sensor window next to the eye piece, which is easy enough to clean.

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,885
Nikon 1 V1 reliability/heating

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

But what concerns me is it runs hot.

I don't like things that run hot, and I believe they are less reliable. Just like with laptops that are fitted with more advanced graphics cards and processors, heat can sometimes become a problem, and these models often die sooner.

I have just looked this up and others have noticed it getting warm too:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3138007

Mine was getting warm by just taking a few photos indoors, not in any rapid succession and not with the flash and not by doing any video (I tried video later; the slow motion mode is impressive).

Not much can be learned about whether any of the V1s in that thread were experiencing normal heating or abnormal overheating because the usage of the different cameras is varied and unknown and the ambient temperatures they were operated in was similarly varied. It shouldn't be surprising though that the V1 would run warm because any processors that run at high speed consume more power than the much slower processors that are chosen for most P&S cameras. To be able to have such a high frame rate (60 fps), its bandwidth is greater than any of Nikon's fastest DSLRs and this is the reason that Nikon designed it to use such a large battery, the same one that's used by the D800 and some of Nikon's other DSLRs.

That you're feeling the V1 getting warm (or hot) is in part because the V1 isn't enclosed in a plastic shell like most cameras use, that act as insulators, trapping the heat inside. The metal body instead acts like a heat sink, efficiently drawing away the heat being generated inside the V1, so the circuits inside will run cooler. Silicon devices can safely run for very long periods at much higher temperatures than most people realize, often approaching the 100°C temperature of boiling water. It's not the generation of heat that's why many electronic devices can have their lives significantly shortened, it's poor cooling.

2) What are the temperature limits of electronics?
On the high end, "laboratory" operation of discrete semiconductor devices has been reported at temperatures as high as about +700°C (for a diamond Schottky diode) and 650°C (for a SiC MOSFET). Integrated circuits based on Si and GaAs have operated to +400−500°C. Si ICs have been reported to operate at +300°C for 1000 hours or longer.

http://www.extremetemperatureelectronics.com/tutorial1.html

Some have had reliability issues with this model.

That's true for every camera model ever made. Anyone that's concerned about their camera's reliability (whatever the model) can search the forum archives or the internet and there's no doubt that "issues" will be found. I've seen no good evidence that the V1 has any problems to be concerned about, but it's certainly possible for a few individual samples to have heat problems. If they do though it should be easy to verify, because for the camera to produce much more than the normal amounts of heat, the battery would be drained more quickly. Nikon rates the V1's battery life at 350 to 400 shots when shooting typically (from a fully charged battery in good condition). The manual lists a number of things that can shorten battery life on page 201 of the manual, so if you're getting well under 200 shots from a freshly charged battery and you're not doing most of the following things there may be a problem.

The following can reduce battery life:
• Keeping the shutter-release button pressed halfway
• Repeated autofocus operations
• Taking NEF (RAW) photographs
• Slow shutter speeds
• Using optional flash or GPS units
• Using vibration reduction mode with VR lenses

OP Mahmoud Mousef Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Nikon 1 V1 reliability/heating

First of all, thanks for all the responses; I actually feel a lot less worried about the cam.

photoreddi wrote:

Not much can be learned about whether any of the V1s in that thread were experiencing normal heating or abnormal overheating because the usage of the different cameras is varied and unknown and the ambient temperatures they were operated in was similarly varied.

True. It was quite a warm day here but inside it was cool and I have had metal cameras before (though they were more simple compacts that didn't get warm at all, except by my own finger heat). I actually went outside with it today and it was then when I felt uncomfortable using it for any long period of time; it would just get extra warm 'cause of the sun. I should have bought the white model I guess. White would have helped absorb less sun.

But most of the heat is definitely internally generated indoors, the LCD gets too warm and the left side of the cam (as you are looking at it from behind) gets the warmest; it's relatively good on the battery (right) side of the cam (as you use it from behind).

It shouldn't be surprising though that the V1 would run warm because any processors that run at high speed consume more power than the much slower processors that are chosen for most P&S cameras. To be able to have such a high frame rate (60 fps), its bandwidth is greater than any of Nikon's fastest DSLRs and this is the reason that Nikon designed it to use such a large battery, the same one that's used by the D800 and some of Nikon's other DSLRs.

Sidenote: I was impressed with the size of the battery; it's one of the things I forgot to mention (along with a better EVF than I am used to). Especially after using a Pentax Q before it, which has poor battery life and a tiny battery. You make very good points regarding speed but still it was alarming getting a warm camera just taking regular 10MP shots. The focusing I am very happy with though. It's definitely one of the better things about this cam.

That you're feeling the V1 getting warm (or hot) is in part because the V1 isn't enclosed in a plastic shell like most cameras use, that act as insulators, trapping the heat inside. The metal body instead acts like a heat sink, efficiently drawing away the heat being generated inside the V1, so the circuits inside will run cooler.

Yes, the front and top bit are metal.

Silicon devices can safely run for very long periods at much higher temperatures than most people realize, often approaching the 100°C temperature of boiling water. It's not the generation of heat that's why many electronic devices can have their lives significantly shortened, it's poor cooling.

Yes, though my main concern is the LCD life and probably connectors and circuit board life (and other mechanical bits), which are stressed by heat.

Battery life so far is OK (still on my first charge). Love the electronic shutter. I like that when you dip back into the menus it remembers your position. Menus aren't half as bad as I imagined them in use. So far so good.

My mind is more rested now about the heat. Thanks everyone.

Seedeich wrote:

I’ve used the V1 since it was released and never had an issue.

Just keep the sensor at side of the EVF clean to keep it function properly.

-- hide signature --

Great! Will do.

knows_nothing
knows_nothing Regular Member • Posts: 160

I agree with the above.

Walking around taking a the odd few shots, no problem.

I recently used long exposures to copy 50 or so documents with previews on a tripod,  and the camera was warm when I picked up. I feel this is normal for a camera that process so much data using a large battery. I believe some of the Sony NEX cameras got internally hot whilst videoing. So use it just monitor the situation till your happy that there is nothing wrong.

With the latest V1 firmware, using zoom lens - just close the zoom down till the next shot.

knows_nothing's gear list:knows_nothing's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +3 more
knows_nothing
knows_nothing Regular Member • Posts: 160

Yes and the menus are not as long or confusing as many cameras.

knows_nothing's gear list:knows_nothing's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +3 more

Paul Pasco wrote:

If you think it gets warm indoors, just wait til when you use it use it outside in really hot weather. Don't worry though, I've had mine since Dec. 2011 and it has never let me down, no matter how hot it got. As already mentioned, the only thing that has been a reliability issue is the tiny sensor window next to the eye piece, which is easy enough to clean.

I tried outdoors today; I had to go back inside for fear my precious would overheat

Your reliability report is reassuring.

I was generally looking for any big weaknesses or whatever. But if it's just that little sensor window, I can take care of that

It's a good cam and I'm glad I bought it. I got the flash too and it is not ideal as a separate piece (and incompatible with other Nikon flash gear...) but it's small and it can bounce in many directions and works well, and I can definitely live with the smaller design.

The more I think about it, the more I think Nikon got the 1-inch sensor design right as the good in-between between DSLRs and regular compacts. Thanks for the reassuring words.

Simon97
Simon97 Senior Member • Posts: 2,629

The camera will shut itself off if the internal temperature gets too hot. This has been reported by users who used it in very hot climates, over 100 Deg. It is a small camera with a fast processor to handle its high speed shooting and video, so it will get warm.

I shot video for 1 hour with my J1 indoors. It got warm, but never really hot.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon G9 X Nikon 1 S1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads