My HS50 EXR - Impressions ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
painterdude
painterdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,857
Re: My HS50 EXR - Impressions ...

Some had great copies of that cam ..I was not so lucky .

I had two that were utterly useless due to extreme PP fringing. Both  sufferred  sever  softness at WA. I actually was okay with the later model; - the S200EXR- and got a lot of stuff from that. It however, was not perfect and liked to snow white dots all over the image in hot weather ..why I have no clue !! Argh!!

all the best

g

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Les James
Les James Regular Member • Posts: 275

Lloyd - y

Have you any experience on the Fuji XS1, I note your comment that the camera Fuji has to best is the S100fs. Does this include the XS1?

Regards

Les

-- hide signature --

/Users/lesjames/Desktop/Olympus icon

Les James's gear list:Les James's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus SP-100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
Tim39 Senior Member • Posts: 2,884

TFD wrote:

wymjym wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

wymjym wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Hello Lloydy,

Your "findings " that the Fujifilm S100fs has a better IQ than the HS50 is pure nonsence. Such a statement is a fairy tail. I still own a S100fs (collecting dust) and now the HS50 too. The HS50 is years of technical developement ahead.

Peter

Peter,

I see several possibilities here:

your S100fs is faulty

you never learned how to use the S100fs properly

you are partially blind

you are just trying to wind people up

you are trying to justify your 50's purchase

your opinion of what is good image quality does not correspond with most others opinions

you are having a bad day and decided to vent

good luck with your 50

wj

You forgot just one option: the S100fs is a hype and is founded on nothing. If the S100fs was way better than the HS cameras I would never have bought these cameras. btw is it your habit to insult people?

Peter

when introduced the S100fs was not hyped nearly as much as current day fuji cameras, but no matter, the image quality was very, very good.

I have no idea why 'you' do anything. The hs is probably a better camera in all regards except...image quality.  IMAGE QUALITY!!!!

if you find any of my comments insulting...then so be it, they were not meant to insult...only to state my opinion of some possible reasons as to why you hold this very flawed assessment of the S100fs' image quality.

wj

Maybe I had a bad copy but the S100fs was the worst camera I have ever owned, I wanted to like it, it  was good on paper but I sold it. Massive purple and green fringing and a control system from hell. Reset to defaults every time you shut camera off - it was a dog.

From all I can tell, I'm the only one in the known universe who had a decent copy of the S100fs and couldn't wait to get rid of it.  Had no quarrel with the images, but found the ergonomics horrid.

-- hide signature --

Tim

Lloydy
OP Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,529
Les ...

Les James wrote:

Lloyd - y

Have you any experience on the Fuji XS1, I note your comment that the camera Fuji has to best is the S100fs. Does this include the XS1?

... No. I have never played with an XS1. As it has been around for quite a while now I'll wait and see if they bring out a new model.

Regards

Les

-- hide signature --

/Users/lesjames/Desktop/Olympus icon

-- hide signature --

Dave

Tim39 Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
Re: Les ...

Lloydy wrote:

Les James wrote:

Lloyd - y

... No. I have never played with an XS1. As it has been around for quite a while now I'll wait and see if they bring out a new model.

Regards

Les

Dave, see my admission earlier.  My terminal dislike of the S100fs's ergonomics aside, and pushing the ever-contentious issue of IQ to the side also, I don't think a cam of its FL can play in the same arena as today's offerings (all makes and models considered).  Offer someone an XS-1 or an S100fs at an identical price, or for free, if you like, and see how many choose the S100...

-- hide signature --

Tim

Doug Sinnott1941 Junior Member • Posts: 46

Of course it is a better camera than the S100f!

It was a good camera in it's day,but the autofocus,evf,or rear LCD aren't up to the more modern cameras,like the XS1,or the HS30/50,not to mention the more limited range of the zoom lens.

Fuji have made some great cameras over the years,and long may they continue!

The "X" series,in particular,are superbly made products,and deserved their world-wide success.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Doug Sinnott

Doug Sinnott1941's gear list:Doug Sinnott1941's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX35 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Lloydy
Doug ...

Doug Sinnott1941 wrote:

It was a good camera in it's day,but the autofocus,evf,or rear LCD aren't up to the more modern cameras,like the XS1,or the HS30/50,not to mention the more limited range of the zoom lens.

... Could all be true but the HS30/HS50 EXR and the XS1 don't come close to the S100 fs in the most important area - Image Quality (IQ).

As I have mentioned before, the HS50 EXR is a good Fuji camera, not great.

The "X" series,in particular,are superbly made products,and deserved their world-wide success.

I have the X-E1 and the XF1 and they do fit into the 'great' category certainly.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Doug Sinnott

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Peter71951 Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: Doug ...

Lloydy wrote:

Doug Sinnott1941 wrote:

... Could all be true but the HS30/HS50 EXR and the XS1 don't come close to the S100 fs in the most important area - Image Quality (IQ).

As I have mentioned before, the HS50 EXR is a good Fuji camera, not great.

I have the X-E1 and the XF1 and they do fit into the 'great' category certainly.

The Fujifilm HS50 IQ is about 6 years of technical development better than the IQ of the Fujifilm S100fs. My S100fs is collecting dust on the shelf. I offer you mine for let's say $1200,- Is it a deal?

Peter

Danielepaolo
MOD Danielepaolo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,515

Peter71951 wrote:

The Fujifilm HS50 IQ is about 6 years of technical development better than the IQ of the Fujifilm S100fs. My S100fs is collecting dust on the shelf. I offer you mine for let's say $1200,- Is it a deal?

You tell us how bad the S100fs is then offer to sell it for $1200. LOL!. I have never seen an image from a HS series that comes close to the S100fs at base ISO. 6 years of development has led to tinier sensors with longer focal lengths and better high ISO performance. Unfortunately IQ at high ISO is good for nothing on these cameras and they still need to be shot in lots of light at long focal lengths. So guess what, the S100fs still trumps them despite its flaws. IQ is an afterthought for a community that accepts blurry, websized, camera phone images as great artistic content. Fabulous advancement.

PS: I'll give you $200 for you crap s100fs.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

Peter71951 Contributing Member • Posts: 553

Danielepaolo wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

You tell us how bad the S100fs is then offer to sell it for $1200. LOL!. I have never seen an image from a HS series that comes close to the S100fs at base ISO. 6 years of development has led to tinier sensors with longer focal lengths and better high ISO performance. Unfortunately IQ at high ISO is good for nothing on these cameras and they still need to be shot in lots of light at long focal lengths. So guess what, the S100fs still trumps them despite its flaws. IQ is an afterthought for a community that accepts blurry, websized, camera phone images as great artistic content. Fabulous advancement.

PS: I'll give you $200 for you crap s100fs.

The Fujifilm S100fs is not crap. In those days it was a great camera up to ISO 200. I still can remember the strenuous  efforts the DSLR people made in this Fuji forum to put the S100fs down. Later on I was able to compare the camera with the Fuji cameras that came later. My conclusion was and is that the F100fs was a nice camera but not a exceptional good camera. The S200 exr was about in the same league. So I don't understand the hype about the S100 fs at all. I didn't sell the S100 fs for the hype price I asked for it. Why is that?

Peter

stevo22 New Member • Posts: 4

Hi Lloydy,

I just have a quick question perhaps you could answer about the HS50. I have been looking into buying one of these but I just read something on another website which concerned me.

It said that each time the camera is powered off the image quality setting reverts to "Normal" so if you want it on the highest setting you have to select this each time you switch the camera on.

This sounded crazy to me and it must be wrong, I just need to know for sure before I take the plunge and order one of these.

Also, does jpeg+raw work when shooting in full Auto mode? On some bridge cameras it doesn't seem to. Sometimes I just want to grab a quick shot without changing settings but I'd still like the raw file.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Lloydy
Stevo ...

stevo22 wrote:

Hi Lloydy,

I just have a quick question perhaps you could answer about the HS50. I have been looking into buying one of these but I just read something on another website which concerned me.

It said that each time the camera is powered off the image quality setting reverts to "Normal" so if you want it on the highest setting you have to select this each time you switch the camera on.

... Mine doesn't do that.

This sounded crazy to me and it must be wrong, I just need to know for sure before I take the plunge and order one of these.

Also, does jpeg+raw work when shooting in full Auto mode? On some bridge cameras it doesn't seem to. Sometimes I just want to grab a quick shot without changing settings but I'd still like the raw file.

Well, I'm a little surprised here as I just tried it on Auto and also EXR Auto and it lets you select Raw+Jpeg. Same on my HS30 EXR.

The settings I am using - HS50 EXR Settings

Some of my images - HS50 EXR Images

Thanks in advance.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

TwoMetreBill Senior Member • Posts: 1,258
Re: Stevo ...

Having owned a S100, S200 and HS20 and used a friend's S100, HS10 and X-S1, I would rate IQ as follows from worst to best:

1. HS10/20 - just plain pitiful for anything other than posting images on the web or printing up to 4x6. The lens wasn't sharp outside of 50-200 equivalent. Junk food.
  2. S100 - significantly better than the HS10/20 but still poor with all the fringing which wasn't too hard to remove with software. Both S100s performed the same even though purchased several months apart. The lens wasn't sharp outside of 40-300 equivalent. Still junk food.
  3. S200 - while not great, a huge improvement over the above bodies. For a small sensor camera, delivered about as good as could be expected of the technology. Definitely usable IQ. The lens wasn't sharp outside of 40-300 equivalent.
  4. X-S1 - significant jump in IQ and actually produces decent images up to ISO 400, 800 if one is not being too fussy. Lens sharpness quite good from 30-400mm, 24 and 500+ quite soft.

Usability is another matter which is the reason I sold all of mine after 3-4 months of use:

1. Manual focus unusable on any except the X-S1 where it is pretty good and excellent considering the price of the camera. The LCD resolution is just too low.
  2. Autofocus accuracy abominable on the HS10/20, poor on the S100 and fair on the S200. All 4 of them seemed to want to focus on the highest contrast in the image regardless of the focusing mode. If manual focus had been usable then the S200 might have been an OK camera. Only the X-S1 can occasionally achieve accurate autofocus at the longest end.
  3. RAW is absolutely necessary to get decent quality, again for other than web posting or small prints. RAW operation is so slow as to be unusable that for slow shooting not too bad on the X-S1. Given that none of these cameras are for rapid action whether BIF or sports, the X-S1 is OK for landscape work.

So what about the HS50 which I don't own. My only comparison is downloaded images and specifications.

1. IQ is an improvement over all the previous HS and S cameras especially at higher ISO's, 400-1600.
  2. While the lens is not terribly sharp at 1,000mm, it is an improvement up to 600mm over the prior cameras.
  3. Manual focus at least matches the X-S1.
  4. Autofocus simply in a class of its own, none of the other cameras can even begin to compare. See BIF comment below.
  5. RAW shooting speed, again a huge improvement though still not in the league DSLRs. Many owners (see this forum) are finding it usable for BIF which is a first for any superzoom.

Conclusion: the HS50 is worth trying considering the low cost. Counterpoint, based on prior announcement history, the HS60 should be out by March 2014 and might have one of the new sensors.

-- hide signature --

Bill

TwoMetreBill's gear list:TwoMetreBill's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads