Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Fogsville Contributing Member • Posts: 577
Re: DPReview is learning the ropes just like everybody

John A Clark wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

DPReview is relatively new to the forum business

No they are not. I've subscribed since 2002. They started in 1998

InternetBrands, Inc. is a company that has been in the forum business for a long time (many forums have hoped to eventually sell their forum to InternetBrands; DPReview are no doubt also thinking of selling the forum to somebody eventually, too.)

Er, no. DP Review is owned by Amazon ...

They've had a forum since 1998?  I thought the forum part was relatively new (?)

Amazon acquired the website about 5 years ago I think.  I assumed the forum was to be spun off to somebody else.  btw, is there any relationship with DPR and DxO?

Bery Forum Member • Posts: 85
small coment

I do not have any Leica equipment, I could not afford it at the moment, hopefully in the future once.

Compared to the forum that I read most of the times, this forum here seemed calm, you look at pictures and read comments about them or you members give advice on equipment.

The other forum is more like my camera is better than yours; I always compare it to 2 little boys playing with toy trucks, going back and forth which one is bigger and better.

I really enjoyed the Leica forum for being different and I really hope it will continue this way.

Thank you,

-- hide signature --

Beat

John A Clark Senior Member • Posts: 1,518

They have had the forum for all the time I can remember, at least I think since I joined

why would they spin off the forum? I remember one other site did and it fizzled quickly

-- hide signature --

Beauty is only a light switch away ...
www.clarkfamily.com.au

John A Clark's gear list:John A Clark's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha a7R +23 more
ADSinger Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
Leica and Panasonic Fora

I have four red dot Panasonic-Leicas. I follow both fora. The participants of both, as well as the m43 group, are generally quite civil and well versed. I find that of the three the Leica Forum is by far the most image oriented and least equipment oriented of the three. That's great because I can come here to see images and techniques used by others, and occasionally submit a photo or ask a question. The Panasonic Forum is almost all about equipment, and that is valuable as well. I recently bought a VL4 and have posted a lot recently in the Panasonic Forum about the mechanics of the camera.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wold hate to have to give up either of these valuable resources.

And while I'm on the soap box ket me say "Thanks" to all of you for all I've learned here.

Alan.

-- hide signature --

www.MotoEuro.org

ADSinger's gear list:ADSinger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-T1
John A Clark Senior Member • Posts: 1,518
Re: Leica and Panasonic Fora

ADSinger wrote:

That's great because I can come here to see images and techniques used by others, and occasionally submit a photo or ask a question.

Silly question, but isn't that what the general forums are for? And there are 13 of them.

-- hide signature --

Beauty is only a light switch away ...
www.clarkfamily.com.au

John A Clark's gear list:John A Clark's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha a7R +23 more
ADSinger Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
Re: Leica and Panasonic Fora

John A Clark wrote:

ADSinger wrote:

That's great because I can come here to see images and techniques used by others, and occasionally submit a photo or ask a question.

Silly question, but isn't that what the general forums are for? And there are 13 of them.

Not really. As I wrote earlier I have a number of "Panasonic Leicas", a Digilux, C-Lux 1, D Lux-4, and the V-Lux 4. I find value in hardware discussions on the Panasonic forum, and on creative matters here. I very rarely post, but again I get good feedback here. I I might occasionally visit other  parts of DPR for specialized needs, but I don't think I'm violating any forum rules and certainly hope my presence here doesn't offend anyone.

Alan.

-- hide signature --

www.MotoEuro.org

ADSinger's gear list:ADSinger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-T1
PoolHallJunkie New Member • Posts: 1
Re: My thread has been moved to the panasonic forum!

Well said EricWN...it's as simple as that.

bosjohn21
bosjohn21 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,456

doto41 wrote:

My thread: "Through the arched corridor (2 versions)" has been moved without my knowledge to the panasonic forum, even though it was taken with a Leica lens on a panasonic camera. This might be the work of a moderator, which means I probably will have to leave this wonderful forum, I have so much enjoyed, and not be able to post on it. I know you guys don't care, and am asking what can be done??

thanks

its also possible the moderator made a mistake why not ask the moderator

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21

bosjohn21 wrote:

doto41 wrote:

My thread: "Through the arched corridor (2 versions)" has been moved without my knowledge to the panasonic forum, even though it was taken with a Leica lens on a panasonic camera. This might be the work of a moderator, which means I probably will have to leave this wonderful forum, I have so much enjoyed, and not be able to post on it. I know you guys don't care, and am asking what can be done??

thanks

sorry about that why did this thread suddenly pop up after two months

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bjmike Contributing Member • Posts: 579

No controversy? If the photos were taken w/ a Leica lens (or even w/ a Leica-designed & labeled lens!) then the belong here.  Even if not, they should be welcome here within reason.

I'm a Leica owner, btw, cameras & glass, but also (at various times, including now) Panasonic, Canon and other brands as well.

bjmike's gear list:bjmike's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
bjmike Contributing Member • Posts: 579

I joined DPReview in its first year, when they had fewer than 500,000 members (originally under a different user ID).  Even back then they had forums (fora?).  To say they are new to this would, at best, be disenguous!

bjmike's gear list:bjmike's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
meagre offerings
meagre offerings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,202

bosjohn21 wrote:

doto41 wrote:

thanks

because someone posted on it john, just like you have.

have you just woke up lol

best

pc

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +8 more
bosjohn21

meagre offerings wrote:

bosjohn21 wrote:

doto41 wrote:

thanks

best

pc

wait till I get my glasses on. I looked for a recent post but I am still in threaded mode. :-))

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

meagre offerings
meagre offerings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,202

meagre offerings wrote:

bosjohn21 wrote:

doto41 wrote:

thanks

best

pc

wait till I get my glasses on. I looked for a recent post but I am still in threaded mode. :-))

LOL, nice one john, my wife always says I'm blind with or without my glasses on.

your up late, it must be about 2am where you are, I just got into work.

pc

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +8 more
boarderphreak
boarderphreak Senior Member • Posts: 1,862
Old News

This thread is OLD NEWS.  Move on, people.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads