Question: Bad Bokeh / Good Bokeh

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,549
Re: Question: Bad Bokeh / Good Bokeh

Chris_T wrote:

This is one of my shots that I feel has really nice bokeh

http://www.pbase.com/chris_t2/image/80887998/original.jpg

Can't argue with you there! Professional or what!!!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

ilikespam Regular Member • Posts: 497

Thanks everyone for posting good examples.  I am getting a feel for it.

ilikespam's gear list:ilikespam's gear list
A3000 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
Unexpresivecanvas Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

That's a bad advertisement for Pentax!

Your Canon bokeh trumps the Pentax bokeh! That is a brilliant bokeh effect!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,930
Very good example

Anybody can claim "good bokeh" when the background is completely blurred and you can't see any features at all. In your case it's still obvious that the background highlights are circular, but the edges of those circles are indistinct. It is, as you say, creamy.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
Unexpresivecanvas Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

Thanks Simon,

The idea was not to compare among  two brands, but rather to show different types of bokeh s a results oif using different technologies (FF and cropped modes)

This is when the differences between FF and APS-C become really significant.  The FF allows a better separation from the background given a narrower DOF. It's really striking when shooting wide open.

But still the Takumar 55 and Tamron 90mm also produce a pleasant bokeh iusing the k-5.

This is when the differences between FF and APS-C become really significant.  The FF allows a better separation from the background given a narrower DOF.

Ah I see, now I see another reason for the pandamonium for a Pentax FF!

I think I'll buy some film and try my Pentax s1a out then. I don't have macro lenses although I do have a Vivitar 28mm close focus, CZ 50mm Tessar and Helios 44-2 which I think all focus pretty close.

Do lenses focus closer on a full frame than a crop sensor?

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,930

The sensor will not matter to the focus distance in the slightest. However a smaller sensor will appear to have a greater magnification due to the crop factor.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
OP citrontokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 812

Nice indeed. Thanks for linking.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more

Sweet. What the heck is going on in the dog picture? Whatever you did, it looks very magical.

Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more

Very smooth, but what's with the purple fringing in the center of the flowers? Oh...ah...never mind.:-D

Infrabasse Regular Member • Posts: 342

Chris_T wrote:

This is one of my shots that I feel has really nice bokeh

http://www.pbase.com/chris_t2/image/80887998/original.jpg

Wow, more than the bokeh what I like here is the 3d effect. Was this taken with a Zeiss ?

Infrabasse's gear list:Infrabasse's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +10 more
Chris_T Contributing Member • Posts: 647

This was taken with the Pentax DFA 100 macro lens. Thanks

-- hide signature --

Cheers Chris
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional !
Please visit my gallery at: http://www.pbase.com/chris_t2

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,339
+1 Re: More a matter of taste I'd say...

+1

MoreorLess wrote:

When your potentially looking to use the out of focus area's of the picture as a more active part of the composition I think there rendering becomes much more a matter of taste.

Yes, bokeh is more a matter of taste. And depends on the situation, on the object and how the photographer wants to express a visual message - I think

I shot this last year for example with my old Canon 35mm f/2 rather than my 100mm macro because I wanted the busier bokeh and the pentagonal bokeh balls to match the "spikiness" of the frost on the grass.

Very good example how to use the lens - and bokeh.

Ari

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

QuickSilver7 Forum Member • Posts: 76

some nice examples on pentax forums. Would post the like but not sure if that's allowed?

PeterPrism
PeterPrism Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
This is the good one!

SOOC with my Xpro 1 and wide 18mm F2. Cheers!

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Re: This is the good one!

Funny. Thanks. 

antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,624
Bokeh OKish but still way too distracting

citrontokyo wrote:

Hi again. I'm just curious about opinions of the bokeh in this picture. Trying to get a general feel about what other people like. Do you like it, or not? If you like it, why? And if not, why not? It was shot at f 4.5, so the straight edges  of the aperture blades are visible.  Thanks for your input.

Mark

for my taste:

- the quality of the bokeh is ok-ish at best.  As you've mentioned yourself, you see diaphragm blades and the resulting effect is really not very pleasing

- more importantly, even the out of focus white flowers, distract the eye massively from the flowers which I assume to be your subject

Bottom-line:  before you have a bokeh issue on this shot, you have a much bigger issue with colour composition (yes I know that white isn't strictly speaking a colour)

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
Re: Bokeh OKish but still way too distracting

Here is a test shot of some artificial flowers stuck in my gate. The reason I call it a test shot is because I acquired this M42 screw mount Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 lens as part of a dusty job lot.

It had slight fungal growth and the aperture ring didn't work. I took it apart, cleaned it and fixed the aperture ring and it looks not too bad to be honest.

Anyhow there are different types of bokeh going on in the background.

Pentax K-30 Vivitar MC 28mm F2.8 Close Focus

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Col K10d
Col K10d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,216
Re: Bokeh OKish but still way too distracting

Well here's a harsh example from a lens (DA*300) that IMHO has pretty good Bokeh, but I guess you can overload a background with highlights.

... and I should say the longer the lens the easier it is to create a smooth OOF.

One lens I choose for a wider fov, Zeiss Distagon 25mm f2.8

As others have mentioned the Helios M44-7 can produce wild Bokeh with a swirl to it

But this is controlled by the depth of field and proximity of subjet as it can also be buttery

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads