DigitalRev take down GoPro review, copyright

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
attomole Regular Member • Posts: 282
DigitalRev take down GoPro review, copyright

Popular YouTube  camera review channel and online retailer (similar to this site in a way) DigitalRev

Have received a DMCA take down notice from GoPro, for one of there reviews

Cy Cheze Senior Member • Posts: 2,028
Re: DigitalRev take down GoPro review, copyright

The offending site probably used a GoPro graphic or web content without autorization.  Copyright law would not prohibit DigitalRev from showing pictures or video it shot with the camera, nor from publishing a review.

In truth, many sites don't review products at all, but merely re-present the spec sheets issued by the manufacturers and add a few unoriginal or flagrantly borrowed comments.

It would be curious to see if any serious side-by-side reviews of POV cameras exist at all.  Such tests would be difficult to concoct, since they could involve stunts that either costly or dangerous.  If you get a daredevil to BASE jump with one camera, who perishes or turns chicken, you might have to recruit another to perform the same jump with a competing camera.  Viewers will complain that the test was unfair because both test should involve the same location, risk of mortality, and G-force at impact on the rocks or reef.

Paul Farace
Paul Farace Contributing Member • Posts: 804

Or just wait a year or two until all the nuts kill themselves jumping off cliffs, bungee jumping from helicopters, etc.

can't say I've seen too many "real" folks do much with this type of gear...

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
pixelless Contributing Member • Posts: 612

It´s a niche market I guess. On my area of work, everybody has a GoPRO. I have 2 of them and will probably buy the new Hero3 soon. They´re tough, I will tel you that!

expressivecanvas Contributing Member • Posts: 858

I was actually considering a GoPro...  wait..   can I say that?  : )

One thing is certain after reading the linked webpage...   I will never give any of my money to these clowns.  Sounds to me like they didn't care for the review and are now grasping at straws to find a way to have the review hidden forever.

I will now never buy a GoPro and, worse yet (for them), I will tell this story to everyone I know looking for a camera/camcorder.

What a piece of work this company is...

expressivecanvas's gear list:expressivecanvas's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +12 more
Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,543

The GoPro system is awesome. The quality of video coming out such a small camera is amazing. The ability to abuse the camera and use it whenever and whatever place you want is incredible. You have a wonderful underwater video camera and it shoots quite decent stills.

For vacations where you want to show yourself in the picture is great. To have a backup camera that if you happen to go swimming or diving, whatever situation its great.

I love mine.

-- hide signature --

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Ricoh WG-M1 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 +75 more
Anepo Regular Member • Posts: 154

they put a few on a fast supercar and drove like nutters.

atlien991 New Member • Posts: 19

The GoPro system is good but if you support fascism because you like a tiny camera, you can't complain about anything later.

They are dead to me forever.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads