Nik Plugins - now an incredible deal

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
ptox Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: Nik Plugins - now an incredible deal

montera2 wrote:

I have very operable system built on XP, Epson V700, DJ130 and so on. I've seen those who upgraded hasty and have had need for constant tweaking, to get things done. And those things where just as easy as a smile, with the old system.

Whoa. When is upgrading from XP no longer "hasty"? 10 years? 15?

montera2 Regular Member • Posts: 457

ptox wrote:

montera2 wrote:

I have very operable system built on XP, Epson V700, DJ130 and so on. I've seen those who upgraded hasty and have had need for constant tweaking, to get things done. And those things where just as easy as a smile, with the old system.

Well, uh, ok. At the time they paraded Vista to the scene and all that started to rumble down bit by bit, I decided there is one thing, be patient and wait. I waited until it was 7, had many issues, and I decided, let the wife to have the 7, I would go on with XP. Now with the 8, things seems to be worse than with Vista, customers are part of the  personel developing the product and pay to be part of staff.  I don't want to bully the wife with it, so the XP will do, I'll be patient, once again. Partly tongue in cheek, but just partly.

montera2's gear list:montera2's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

Incredible indeed. I owned all of them already except the HDR one, which I now have free.

I use them in place of PS, which I now no longer even own. On the rare occasion that I need something only PS can do, I outsource that to someone much better at using it than I will ever be, pay them $75 an hour and spend my time doing something more within my skill set.

OP Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 6,913

Just a screen shot of what they email looked like that was sent by Google.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +10 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 4,166

I downloaded it and it will not open.   Apparently does not have the .exe extension like one poster mentioned.  (thanks!)   I will have to get back to that and try pasting the .exe on the end of the file name.   Anyone else have that problem?   Why would it download with that missing I wonder?

Above, the poster says he does not have PS any more.    Guess he must use these plugins with LR and NX only then.   None work as stand alone do they?

Thanks  so much...

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro +6 more
elemenoP Regular Member • Posts: 229
Re: OK, I am convinced now

vkphoto wrote:

Thanks to all for your comments and samples.

But what really helped me with my decision was my Canon and Nex files:)

This set makes it easier and faster to PP files that normally would look dull. "Quick'n'dirty" comparison:

ACR

NIK

Regards,

vkphoto

This is a great endorsement, thanks so much for the comparison. What was the workflow/how many steps to achieve the second result? You could do the same in Photoshop or LR, so I'm wondering how easy it was with the NIK tools.

Also: does anyone know if Nik has something equivalent to the old Lightroom "fill light" and "recovery" sliders? I recently upgraded from LR 2 to LR 4 and I miss those a lot. For saving a photo where the subject is dark.

Thanks!

eP

PeterPrism
PeterPrism Senior Member • Posts: 1,060

You can use "high Key" selecting the dark area with Color efex pro and dosing the effect. cheers

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
PeterPrism
PeterPrism Senior Member • Posts: 1,060

Example

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
vkphoto
vkphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,632

elemenoP wrote:

vkphoto wrote:

This set makes it easier and faster to PP files that normally would look dull. "Quick'n'dirty" comparison:

ACR

NIK

Regards,

vkphoto

This is a great endorsement, thanks so much for the comparison. What was the workflow/how many steps to achieve the second result? You could do the same in Photoshop or LR, so I'm wondering how easy it was with the NIK tools.

Also: does anyone know if Nik has something equivalent to the old Lightroom "fill light" and "recovery" sliders? I recently upgraded from LR 2 to LR 4 and I miss those a lot. For saving a photo where the subject is dark.

Thanks!

eP

Yes, you can do it in CS with layer masks and gradients, NIK just makes it easy.  Very easy.

flbrit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Link to fixing Download

Ernie Misner wrote:

I downloaded it and it will not open.   Apparently does not have the .exe extension like one poster mentioned.  (thanks!)   I will have to get back to that and try pasting the .exe on the end of the file name.   Anyone else have that problem?   Why would it download with that missing I wonder?

Above, the poster says he does not have PS any more.    Guess he must use these plugins with LR and NX only then.   None work as stand alone do they?

Thanks  so much...

see this link

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51157853

-- hide signature --

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN-F Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +13 more

Thanks for the example, very helpful.

eP

Thank you, I will download the trial and play around!

eP

framus Contributing Member • Posts: 847

elemenoP wrote:

vkphoto wrote:

ACR

NIK

Regards,

vkphoto

Thanks!

eP

The functionality that you are missing in LR 4 is still there but labeled/implemented somewhat differently.  You might explore the 'Highight' & 'Shadows' sliders.

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
Re: Had to do something...

montera2 wrote:

Ok, I had to do something with the Nik Collection, so I executed the downloaded file and all went fine. I didn't find anything related to Nik from CS2 Photoshop, which was obvious, after reading the software requirements. So I went to the Google folder, opened it, folder by folder. Picked all the .8bf files and dumped into Photoshop plugin's filter folder and yes all those containing only those .8bf files worked fine. But there are also .fhm files and tose are mystery ones. Where to put them, to get it all workin? Well I don't know, may be doing all that is against the license agreement? But I do not know that either, yet.

I was too happy too early. By executing the Nic Collection and dumping those .8bf files to the plugins filter folder I was able to try out the plugin in Photoshop CS2. The sliders did what they where meant to do, but this morning when I had to fix a photo I came across an problem. I can't save  the file I've altered to my liking. So back to the basics and older NIK versions. It hurts, to be so dumb.

rosskoss Forum Member • Posts: 68

For Windows, do you need a separate program like LR or PS Elements to run these NIK plug-ins?

i.e. are these plug-ins or are they standalone programs that I can use even if I don't have any other image processing s/w?

You need a host or a parent program, Photoshop or LR. There seems to be no way to get them working standalone, none in the limits of the (c).

JasperD
JasperD Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

... or Aperture (except X-Trans RAF of course)...

You can use them stand alone, although a royal pain in the proverbial place. However, for that once in a lifetime photograph... The following is how it works on my Mac, for Windows I wouldn´t know, but I guess it´s not that much different, if at all. Some reservations too about OS version, I´m on OSX 10.8.3 meanwhile, cannot tell with certainty for older ones anymore. 

You need to start converting your picture to a (16 bits) TIFF, as that´s what NIK works with. Beware, save / export it to that effect somewhere else, as the result will be destructive. For testing, the desktop seems a good place.

Once you got a TIFF, you can right click on it - either on that desktop if you saved there, or in the file browser - and instead of just opening it, pick ´Open With´ or ´Other...´: you may need to click ´All Applications´ instead of ´Recommended´ to get access to the NIK ones, but once you do, you can just pick the one you fancy. Do your stuff as usual, when happy click Save to get your edited version.

That´s it, sounds complicated but it really is not. The pain is merely in the need to open each single access to it, but above all, not working from your controlled environment. That aside, it will work.

However, again, remember the warning: work from a copy, not some valuable original TIFF (maybe the result of your prior working with CS2)

dengx Senior Member • Posts: 1,030

sgoldswo wrote:

Sorry if anyone has already asked these questions but:

Has anyone in the UK or the rest of Europe had any emails regarding this offer?

Yes.

Has anyone got the link to the offer for existing customers?

There is no such link, everyone gets "personalised" one.

If you have one of the recent NIK products and still didn't get the promo email then read this:

"1. we sent out an email a few months go asking our customers for permission to transfer their accounts over to Google. If you agreed to this, you're all set and should receive an email.

2. If you didn't get the email or if you didn't accept the transfer at that time, you will need to contact us at support.google.com/nikcollection so that we can register you and get you set up."

I've received my promo offer two days after contacting them about this issue.

Regards

OK, thank you for the info. I did a quick experiment and  produced a decent image in "standalone mode".  The copy reminder was vital, thanks for that too.

ptox Regular Member • Posts: 224

montera2 wrote:

ptox wrote:

montera2 wrote:

Well, uh, ok. At the time they paraded Vista to the scene and all that started to rumble down bit by bit, I decided there is one thing, be patient and wait. I waited until it was 7, had many issues, and I decided, let the wife to have the 7, I would go on with XP. Now with the 8, things seems to be worse than with Vista, customers are part of the  personel developing the product and pay to be part of staff.  I don't want to bully the wife with it, so the XP will do, I'll be patient, once again. Partly tongue in cheek, but just partly.

Forget Windows 8 -- you'd gain a lot by moving to 7. XP has many of its own issues; it's not nearly as secure as 7, for one. Given identical hardware, 7 is faster and more efficient. Also, as you've noticed, software developers are increasingly dropping support for XP. It's a dinosaur.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads