X-E1 vs nex 7 questions

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
alan brown Contributing Member • Posts: 718
X-E1 vs nex 7 questions

I'm am thinking very seriously about purchasing a XE1, probably with the 18-55 lens. I also have a nex 7 with 18-55 lens (not terribly happy with it), 19 sigma, and 30 sigma. In addition an omd em5 with many panny and oly lenses. The omd will stay because of its versatility. The nex 7 would be sold if I buy the xe1.

Could someone comment on the contrast of the evf? On the nex 7 I find the shadows are difficult to see with the evf even with it set to portrait and -3 on the contrast. For some reason I don't have that problem with the omd. Also, I have to have my eye centered perfectly for the evf to be sharp (don't use glasses).

From film days I also have a CV 15 4.5, an ultron 28 1.9, and a ultron 35 1.7. As most of you know, the 15 introduces a magenta cast and some smearing in the corners on the nex 7. Fixable with cornerfix. How does the 15 perform with the xe1? Any magenta or smearing? I'm not getting the magenta problem on the 28 and 35 however. So, a general question about these 3 lenses on the xe1, especially in regard to corner and edge sharpness.

And lastly, how effective is the optical stabilization when using the 18-55. As I get older, I find it much harder to hold any camera steady. BTW, the in-camera stabilization in the omd is great.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP alan brown Contributing Member • Posts: 718
Re: X-E1 vs nex 7 questions

One more thing....  Is the distance indicator in the evf operate with non fuji lenses?  I would think not but can't hurt to ask.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Bernie Ess Veteran Member • Posts: 7,091
I know both - my verdict:

I had the Nex-7 and I found it to be an excellent camera. I now have the X-E1, it is also very good, but has also a few annoying weaknesses. But if you should buy the X-E1, I'd go with Fuji's own and very good lenses: The 18-55 is very good - 2 leagues above the Sony kit zoom, the new 14mm lens is excellent and practically up to the Zeiss Distagon 21mm level. You will not see smearing of magenta casts with the Fuji, at least not with Fuji lenses.

The optically least convincing is the 18mm F2, but it is still a decent and fast lens.

EVF is not that different in both, but in the Fuji the EVF is lagging and doesn't give a fluid image, specially in lower light. This was not the case in the Nex-7. Resolution is clearly better in the Nex 7, despite all the AA filterless mojo. One point where the Fuji is clearly better is high ISO and a characteristic colour look.

Cheers

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

nspur
nspur Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

I had the NEX 7 and could not get on with it. I found it too small, the handling unintuitive and the EVF like peering into an electronic telescope. So I traded it for a Fuji X-E1 and now have two of them. The EVF is good and suits me well. It's probably the same as the Olympus VF2, giving a very detailed lifelike view without the electronic styles of the Sony and Panasonic varieties. If you want to use your Voigtlander wide lenses on the X-E1 you ought to get the Fuji M adapter as with that you can eliminate colour and geometric aberrations and vignetting. With the right correction parameters you will get excellent results. The 18-55 lens is good and the image stabilisation is better than the Olympus or Pentax in-body variant and you do get to see the effect in the VF which you can't with IBIS.

If you do get an X-E1 and want a lens with an effective 35 mm field of view I would suggest you buy a Fuji X100 before there are no more new ones available. In the UK they can be bought for less than the anticipated price of the Fuji 23 mm lens !

-- hide signature --

Nick Spurrier

nspur's gear list:nspur's gear list
Leica T Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 +1 more
OP alan brown Contributing Member • Posts: 718

Thanks for the information!  Just the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.  I would eventually like to have the 14mm, but, for now, I could certainly get along well with the CV 15 unless there are corner issues.  I also think the Fuji adapter would be worth the money for me given the corrections available.

I find the evf on the omd to be easier to look at than the one on the nex 7 although others might not agree.

It seems that the 18-55 is perhaps the best kit lens around.

BTW, you can set the omd up so that a half press of the shutter release activates the IBIS which is very valuable with longer lenses.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Erational Regular Member • Posts: 184

The Voight 15mm is still likely to have smeared corners with the XE-1. It's your call if Cornerfix works well enough to ameliorate the problem and that you have the time to correct it with software The XE-1 doesn't have microlenses to help with these RF wide lenses, but the native Fuji X wide lenses present no such issues.

If the Sony's color signature is not an issue for you, why not wait until April 8th at the NABShow to see if Sony will bow the NEX 7n ?  The NEX 7n is likely to be out in May and prob. will have microlenses like the NEX 5n did, that prevented corner smearing (just a guess).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads