RX100: how to review the settings I used?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
keirono Junior Member • Posts: 35
RX100: how to review the settings I used?

I purchased an RX100 last week (replacing my Nikon DSLR which was all too often left at home).

However, I am overwhelmed by the number of options and settings - far more than on my DSLR which was, relatively speaking, more of a point and shoot than this little Sony!

I've been experimenting to establish, in particular the effectiveness of MFNR and DRO vs HDR.

The only problem is, when I review the images in Picasa, it tells me the basic settings like aperture and shutter speed but not the more intricate settings.

Without knowing these, I will never learn. How do I get more comprehensive exif data like that?

keirono's gear list:keirono's gear list
Sony RX100 III
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FM51 Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: RX100: how to review the settings I used?

Same question here.

rio911
rio911 Contributing Member • Posts: 973

You can use a different viewer:

irfanview

- faststone

Both have extensive options for displaying exif data.

On the other hand you can use a standalone exif viewer like Opanda.

Third option is to use the Sony software, either Play Memories Home (RAW and JPEG) or Image Data Converter (if you shoot RAW).  Both will give you most of the exif data, but not everything.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,726

rio911 wrote:

You can use a different viewer:

- irfanview

- faststone

Both have extensive options for displaying exif data.

On the other hand you can use a standalone exif viewer like Opanda.

Third option is to use the Sony software, either Play Memories Home (RAW and JPEG) or Image Data Converter (if you shoot RAW). Both will give you most of the exif data, but not everything.

Do you know for sure if any of those give you the shooting info?  I have another exif viewer that gives me lots of info, but I can't not on what RX100 shooting mode was in use. For example, I got this from an image that I think I shot with AMB (not that it tells me):

BrightnessValue 0.94 EV
ColorSpace sRGB
ComponentsConfiguration Y; Cb; Cr;
CompressedBitsPerPixel 2
Contrast normal
CustomRendered normal process
DateTimeDigitized 2012:11:20 18:35:41
DateTimeOriginal 2012:11:20 18:35:41
DigitalZoomRatio 1.0x
ExifVersion 2.30
ExposureBiasValue 0 EV
ExposureMode auto
ExposureProgram normal program
ExposureTime 1/250 s
FNumber F3.2
FileSource digital still camera
Flash no, flash was off
FlashpixVersion 1.00
FocalLength 17.60 mm
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm 47.00 mm
ISOSpeedRatings 5000 (10.64 EV)
LightSource unidentified
MaxApertureValue 3.36 EV (F3.2)
MeteringMode pattern
PixelXDimension 5472
PixelYDimension 3648
Saturation normal
SceneCaptureType standard
SceneType directly photographed image
Sharpness normal
UserComment
WhiteBalance auto
TIFF (main image)
DateTime 2012:11:20 18:35:41
ImageDescription
Make SONY
Model DSC-RX100
Orientation normal
ResolutionUnit inches
Software DSC-RX100 v1.00
XResolution 350
YCbCrPositioning co-sited
YResolution 350
TIFF (thumbnail)
Compression JPEG compression
DateTime 2012:11:20 18:35:41
ImageDescription
JPEGLength 9476
Make SONY
Model DSC-RX100
Orientation normal
ResolutionUnit inches
Software DSC-RX100 v1.00
XResolution 72
YCbCrPositioning co-sited
YResolution 72
JPEG
ComponentCb QT1 sampling 1:1
ComponentCbTables DC1 AC1
ComponentCr QT1 sampling 1:1
ComponentCrTables DC1 AC1
ComponentY QT0 sampling 2:1
ComponentYTables DC0 AC0
Compression baseline
DataPrecision 8
ImageHeigth 3648
ImageWidth 5472
JPEGSegmentAPP2 Application segment 2 (MPF), offset 36434, length 428

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 +13 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,691
Take notes when shooting - RX100: how to review the settings I used?

This is the conclusion I came to. Some pertinent information is missing from the EXIF.

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Re: Take notes when shooting - RX100: how to review the settings I used?

But the info must be stored with the file, as the camera can retrieve it when reviewing images.

Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 +13 more
rio911

Digital Nigel wrote:

Do you know for sure if any of those give you the shooting info? I have another exif viewer that gives me lots of info, but I can't not on what RX100 shooting mode was in use. For example, I got this from an image that I think I shot with AMB (not that it tells me):

Here is an exif taken from PMB:

It does give you most of the important info about the image. You have info about HDR, MFNR, exposure program, etc.

Sorry I don't have the other programs to check, but I expect the Sony software will give you the best info out of the EXIF, but not everything that is recorded in it.

rio

PS: and to answer your other question "ExposureProgram normal program" means that you were shooting iAuto (or whatever the name is of the green full auto mode)

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
rio911

BertIverson wrote:

This is the conclusion I came to. Some pertinent information is missing from the EXIF.

Bert

No, all info that you can think of is in the EXIF, the problem is that not all cameras (i.e. manufacturers) use the same name or value.  So usually third party EXIF viewers are not really good because they don't give you the meaning behind the EXIF entries.

It is usually better to use the native program to read the exif when looking for basic but informative data.  I use third party EXIF viewers for retrieving everything from the EXIF, but then I have to sort of "guess" what's what.

rio

rio911 wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Do you know for sure if any of those give you the shooting info? I have another exif viewer that gives me lots of info, but I can't not on what RX100 shooting mode was in use. For example, I got this from an image that I think I shot with AMB (not that it tells me):

PS: and to answer your other question "ExposureProgram normal program" means that you were shooting iAuto (or whatever the name is of the green full auto mode)

But I wasn't. Almost certainly, I was using Anti-Motion Blur. I almost never use iAuto.

marlyd Regular Member • Posts: 108

I tried withe PhotoMe which is very complete, but I didn't get all the information. It is OK with Play Memories Home, when you ask "properties". You have to import the files first. Not sure it runs on Mac. And some info disappear after treatment in another software. For instance, I just rotated some pictures with the windows photo gallery and some information was lost.

rio911

Digital Nigel wrote:

But I wasn't. Almost certainly, I was using Anti-Motion Blur. I almost never use iAuto.

I'm not sure what AMB is.  So if I have to guess it is one of the Scene modes.  That is why the camera is giving you Exposure = normal program. But for the rest, you will have to search the EXIF for minute differences, because I don't know a way to identify the scene modes which are all hidden behind a single mode on the camera.

rio

BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,691

Digital Nigel wrote:

But the info must be stored with the file, as the camera can retrieve it when reviewing images.

Sorry. Did not explain. By notes, I mean to shoot a sequence of test shots images 1,2,3,4,5, ... and on paper note the missing values for each of the test shots 1,2,3,4,5, ...
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads