My new baby (both of them :)

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
tjstyphon1
tjstyphon1 Regular Member • Posts: 131
My new baby (both of them :)

Here's a shot of my 5 month old son taken with my 7 month old A77 and Sony 35 1.8. He was just laying on his Boppy playing with the blanket and I grabbed the camera and started the photo shoot.  Straight OOC jpeg with no PP at all because, well, I have a 5 month old lol.

tjstyphon1's gear list:tjstyphon1's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Hirenp New Member • Posts: 23
Re: My new baby (both of them :)

Nice shot - Poster Pic. I'm also enjoying taking pics of my 3 month old (Also my new A57).

While shooting with my 3 month old I realized the importance of RAW. Learned a little bit editing in Light room lately. Just to edit/improve keeper shots like the one you took.

IMHO invest in a good Flash if u haven't already. Totally worth it, I get lot better result with flash and lot more keeper shots.

Here is a shot of my 3 month old. Taken with A57 + SAL35mm + HVL-F43AM.

Very Happy with SLT A57+ SAL 35mm+ F43AM  result....

Hirenp's gear list:Hirenp's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
joerawr Regular Member • Posts: 100

tjstyphon1,

Let me tell, you, with the A77 a quick PP in Lightroom is your friend! I have 18 month old twin girls, and I took aver 10,000 pics of them with the A77 according to my LR catalog. For me with that exact same camera, lens, and environment (A77, DT35, inside), the A77 tends to under expose, and have a too warm tone (actually it's probably accurate for the lighting, unless you are using daylight CFLs throughout your house). So, it's really so easy to load them in LR, and then hit Auto WB and Auto Tone. I have been pleasantly surprised how much an improvement those two auto buttons make (most of the time). You can even do it to the whole group. Edit one file in your set to your liking, copy the settings then apply to the whole set.

Shoot raw. Raw + jpeg if it helps in your workflow.

Here's the pic you uploaded, with just three tweaks. I hit Auto WB, and Auto Tone. Auto Tone went a bit too bright in the face, so i pulled down the exposure. done. And this is on the jpeg, results could be better with the RAW

Great photo, great detail on the eyes. Love that smile. Keep up the good work.

BTW: I am probably being a total hypocrite here, because I just got called out for a SOOC picture myself: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51146506

joerawr's gear list:joerawr's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more

Hirenp wrote:

IMHO invest in a good Flash if u haven't already. Totally worth it, I get lot better result with flash and lot more keeper shots.

Totally agree.  Inside the house, I put the F43 to the rear facing, firing backwards over my shoulder position, so that the light is bouncing off the backwall and ceiling.  The result is a soft,  very disperse, light without the tell-tale ceiling bounce shadow my Canon flash gave me.  It's all reflected light that doesn't look like you used a flash.  Inside the F43 can do this, but it is firing close to full power, so you occasionally have to wait for recharge.  Not a problem until the kid gets more mobile.  Metz, Nissin, and Sigma all make compatible flashes that are worth considering.  I became a ISO100 snob with my A77 + F43 and was grumpy if I couldn't get that ISO100 crispiness.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
tjstyphon1
OP tjstyphon1 Regular Member • Posts: 131

Hirenp wrote:

I have the HVL-F36 flash, I don't know much about flash units so not sure on what it's limitations are but I know I need to use it more. This shot was spur of the moment, he was being cute so I grabbed the camera, flash was in the other room and I didn't want to miss the moment. I will try to set up some shots and practice with the flash.  BTW - great shot of yours

Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
tjstyphon1

joerawr wrote:

tjstyphon1,

Let me tell, you, with the A77 a quick PP in Lightroom is your friend! I have 18 month old twin girls, and I took aver 10,000 pics of them with the A77 according to my LR catalog. For me with that exact same camera, lens, and environment (A77, DT35, inside), the A77 tends to under expose, and have a too warm tone (actually it's probably accurate for the lighting, unless you are using daylight CFLs throughout your house). So, it's really so easy to load them in LR, and then hit Auto WB and Auto Tone. I have been pleasantly surprised how much an improvement those two auto buttons make (most of the time). You can even do it to the whole group. Edit one file in your set to your liking, copy the settings then apply to the whole set.

Does Photoshop deliver similar results with the auto buttons? I don't have LR, but I have CS5 on my work computer. I have a little background with PS, but it seems like I always spend too much time editing, making tweaks here and there. I should just break down and buy LR, anyone know of deals on it?

Thanks for the PP preview, the shot really stands out now! You have shamedencouraged me into getting back into the PP tweaking

tjstyphon1

joerawr wrote:

Totally agree. Inside the house, I put the F43 to the rear facing, firing backwards over my shoulder position, so that the light is bouncing off the backwall and ceiling. The result is a soft, very disperse, light without the tell-tale ceiling bounce shadow my Canon flash gave me.

I will try this technique, thanks!

I became a ISO100 snob with my A77 + F43 and was grumpy if I couldn't get that ISO100 crispiness.

Is it worth upgrading my F36 to the F43? Seems like the F43 is pretty common on here.

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 18,696

joerawr wrote:

For me with that exact same camera, lens, and environment (A77, DT35, inside), the A77 tends to under expose, and have a too warm tone (actually it's probably accurate for the lighting, unless you are using daylight CFLs throughout your house).

The Op's photo was underexposed one full stop: EV = -1.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,710

Not sure why you used a minus 1 EV. However, as others noted it is easy to save the shot. Cute kid!!

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more
tjstyphon1

busch wrote:

Not sure why you used a minus 1 EV. However, as others noted it is easy to save the shot. Cute kid!!

I'm not sure why either   I know I bought Gary Friendman's book and changed some settings according to his recommendations (not sure this was one of them, it's been a while).  If that wasn't it, I just did it on accident at some point and hadn't noticed. Guess I have something to check out when I get home today.  Thanks, that's why I like posting on here

Peter McNeill Senior Member • Posts: 1,554

If memory serves me, I think Gary's book mentions using -1 exposure with external flash. Although firmware 1.07 fixed that or so it's said.

Timothy Hans Junior Member • Posts: 41

Beautiful photo and the your baby is even more beautiful - well done on both counts.

Timothy Hans's gear list:Timothy Hans's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

joerawr wrote:

For me with that exact same camera, lens, and environment (A77, DT35, inside), the A77 tends to under expose, and have a too warm tone (actually it's probably accurate for the lighting, unless you are using daylight CFLs throughout your house).

The Op's photo was underexposed one full stop: EV = -1.

Totally missed that.

Peter McNeill wrote:

If memory serves me, I think Gary's book mentions using -1 exposure with external flash. Although firmware 1.07 fixed that or so it's said.

Yes, exactly.  I totally missed that the EXIF info shows that the shot was -1 EV.  The OP probably meant to set the FLASH exposure compensation to -1.  On Gary's blog he believes the flash exposure compensation issues are fixed with Firmware 1.07.  But for firmwares before that he used -0.7 to -1.0 flash exposure compensation.

RichV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,178

You probably could have done this just fine w/o the flash; your A77 was set to -1 EV, I'd guess it was "left over" from a prior shot.

-- hide signature --
 RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +7 more
tjstyphon1

Since I haven't upgraded to 1.07 yet, guess that should be job #1.  Then reset exp comp back to 0.  For the flash, I have the HVL-F36, but it seems like the 43 is much more common on here. Is it worth the cost to upgrade it? Thanks again for all the tips, always get great advice here!

cponciano New Member • Posts: 5

joerawr wrote:

tjstyphon1,

Shoot raw. Raw + jpeg if it helps in your workflow.

Here's the pic you uploaded, with just three tweaks. I hit Auto WB, and Auto Tone. Auto Tone went a bit too bright in the face, so i pulled down the exposure. done. And this is on the jpeg, results could be better with the RAW

Great photo, great detail on the eyes. Love that smile. Keep up the good work.

BTW: I am probably being a total hypocrite here, because I just got called out for a SOOC picture myself: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51146506

Wow talk about night and day, those eyes just really pop after it was retouched, i think you just convinced me on two things. 1. im gonna try to shoot in RAW more, and 2. fiddle with the lighting in pp.

I have a 8mo old daughter that i just bought a A57 for also and im in love with both of them

cponciano's gear list:cponciano's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A57 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads