85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472
85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

Yep...I'm one of those guys who tried the 1.4G and 1.8G and found the 1.8 better.

This is NOT a matter of ultimate quality so much as it is about taste. I thought the 1.4 had slightly better bokeh, but I did not like it much as 1.4 or 1.8 where it was a bit "dreamy" But wide open the 1.8G is very real, honest and a unflinching view of the subject. For the type of portraits that I like, it bests the 1.4G.

For me the 1.8G is the best 85mm around. Perhaps if I was shooting babies in a studio I'd have kept the 1.4G as well.

Anyway...it's one shooters opinion! My second copy is slightly sharper than the 1st.

Cheers,

Robert

 Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,012
Re: 85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

Robert,

I like that first one as a portrait. But I'm not sure the description of a lens as giving "real, honest, and unflinching" rendering is particularly meaningful. Without a side-by-side comparison of the same or similar shot with the same lighting with each lens, I think it's hard to appreciate the differences. For me, at least, the adjectives don't add much information.

-- hide signature --
 Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
sfnikon Senior Member • Posts: 2,277
Re: 85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

They are both great lenses with slightly different rendering. The 1.8g is more clinical and cooler while the 1.4g is more cinematic and warmer. The 1.8g has a slight resolution advantage IMO. I chose the 1.8g to shoot with the D800e. It's not a cost issue my other lenses are 200/2, 24/1.4g, 14-24, 24-70, zeiss 100 etc. I like the weight and size as well as the resolution and clinical rendering. Also a great bargain just feels good and the 85/1.8g certainly is.

To the OP it's interesting your settings are almost exactly what I would have used.    I like at least 1/320 on the D800(e) and I like to set the ceiling iso at 1000.

-- hide signature --

Jake

 sfnikon's gear list:sfnikon's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +22 more
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,012
Re: 85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

Thanks. I think words like "weight" and "size" are easily understood as criteria. "Cool" vs. "Warm" is usually somewhat meaningful, though subject to interpretation. Words like "clinical," "cinematic," "honest," "real," and "unflinching" are just subjective adjectives which clearly mean something different to everyone who hears them. I understand the desire to use these and other adjectives in describing our favorite tools, but lenses are, after all, inanimate objects, and hardly capable of emotions and judgments. In the context of a discussion claiming that a particular lens is "best," what do they do except say "I'm happy with my choice of this lens"?

I'll put up a couple of portraits with the 85 f/1.4g tomorrow, if I get permission from my subjects. But I won't make any claim that I know the lens is "best." I bought it for subjective reasons, and I'm still learning to use it.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

 Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
sfnikon Senior Member • Posts: 2,277
Re: 85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

Ray Ritchie wrote:

Thanks. I think words like "weight" and "size" are easily understood as criteria. "Cool" vs. "Warm" is usually somewhat meaningful, though subject to interpretation. Words like "clinical," "cinematic," "honest," "real," and "unflinching" are just subjective adjectives which clearly mean something different to everyone who hears them. I understand the desire to use these and other adjectives in describing our favorite tools, but lenses are, after all, inanimate objects, and hardly capable of emotions and judgments. In the context of a discussion claiming that a particular lens is "best," what do they do except say "I'm happy with my choice of this lens"?

I'll put up a couple of portraits with the 85 f/1.4g tomorrow, if I get permission from my subjects. But I won't make any claim that I know the lens is "best." I bought it for subjective reasons, and I'm still learning to use it.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Sure.   Independent of price the 1.8g is the 'best' 85mm for me and I would hazard a guess that the 1.4g is the 'best' for you.   Lets move on.

-- hide signature --

Jake

 sfnikon's gear list:sfnikon's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +22 more
Shotcents
OP Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472
Re: 85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

sfnikon wrote:

Ray Ritchie wrote:

Thanks. I think words like "weight" and "size" are easily understood as criteria. "Cool" vs. "Warm" is usually somewhat meaningful, though subject to interpretation. Words like "clinical," "cinematic," "honest," "real," and "unflinching" are just subjective adjectives which clearly mean something different to everyone who hears them. I understand the desire to use these and other adjectives in describing our favorite tools, but lenses are, after all, inanimate objects, and hardly capable of emotions and judgments. In the context of a discussion claiming that a particular lens is "best," what do they do except say "I'm happy with my choice of this lens"?

I'll put up a couple of portraits with the 85 f/1.4g tomorrow, if I get permission from my subjects. But I won't make any claim that I know the lens is "best." I bought it for subjective reasons, and I'm still learning to use it.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Sure. Independent of price the 1.8g is the 'best' 85mm for me and I would hazard a guess that the 1.4g is the 'best' for you. Lets move on.

-- hide signature --

Jake

Exactly...and I do agree. My friend swears that the 85mm 1.4D is still the best for portraits and that BOTH of the new lenses are too clinical. Different tastes.

But all very good lenses and great to have the choice.

Robert

 Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
markprincess Regular Member • Posts: 115
85 1.4G is best on D800e, D4 & D700

Never tried it on a D800. Just go to flickr and search both the 1.4G and 1.8G.

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,071
Re: 85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

I don't suppose you tried the Sigma 85mm f1.4? I wouldn't suggest upgrading, it wouldn't justify the cost, but I tried both and prefer the Sigma. A friend of mine prefers the Nikon (on his D800e) because it is smaller and suits him better for that reason. For portrait I prefer the Sigma.
Both are excellent.

f.y.i. my friend perviously owned the Nikon 85mm f1.4G and decided to sell it. I didn't buy it though. It was too big for him and too expensive for me! I do think it may have had the best IQ but it was marginal. It was a superb lens though.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Shotcents
OP Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472
Re: 85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

slimandy wrote:

I don't suppose you tried the Sigma 85mm f1.4? I wouldn't suggest upgrading, it wouldn't justify the cost, but I tried both and prefer the Sigma. A friend of mine prefers the Nikon (on his D800e) because it is smaller and suits him better for that reason. For portrait I prefer the Sigma.
Both are excellent.

f.y.i. my friend perviously owned the Nikon 85mm f1.4G and decided to sell it. I didn't buy it though. It was too big for him and too expensive for me! I do think it may have had the best IQ but it was marginal. It was a superb lens though.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

I have tried the sigma, but not long enough to make a real judgement on it. It seemed like a great lens, but I went with the Nikon because it did what I needed and exceeded my expectations. My wife tried it on her D7000 and ended up keeping it, so I ordered a second copy during the rebate. It's actually a wee-bit sharper than the 1st one wide open.

When it comes to 85mm lenses it seems there are plenty of good choices.

Robert

 Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,053
The 85mm 1.8D is no slouch and an excellent purchase.

-- hide signature --

__________________________________________
All models are over 18, as required by law.
Or 21.

nathantw Senior Member • Posts: 1,612
Re: The 85mm 1.8D is no slouch and an excellent purchase.

The Andy G wrote:

Nice pictures. The 85 f/1.8D (and non-D) is a nice lens, but I could never trust using it wide open and that reduced my use of the lens considerably. The problem was that I take a lot of night pictures and it had a tendency to reflect bright lights so it looked reversed and upside down. I guess it's like internal reflections. It ruined a night's work when shot film (didn't have an LCD to see that it was doing that) and another picture that I took of a house fire. That one still got published in the paper though.

So, though it's a nice lens, especially in daylight and stopped down, it's not reliable when there are bright pinpoints of lights shining into the lens when shooting at night.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

Marchintosh
Marchintosh New Member • Posts: 2
Re: 85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

Shotcents wrote:

Yep...I'm one of those guys who tried the 1.4G and 1.8G and found the 1.8 better.

This is NOT a matter of ultimate quality so much as it is about taste. I thought the 1.4 had slightly better bokeh, but I did not like it much as 1.4 or 1.8 where it was a bit "dreamy" But wide open the 1.8G is very real, honest and a unflinching view of the subject. For the type of portraits that I like, it bests the 1.4G.

For me the 1.8G is the best 85mm around. Perhaps if I was shooting babies in a studio I'd have kept the 1.4G as well.

Anyway...it's one shooters opinion! My second copy is slightly sharper than the 1st.

I

Cheers,

Robert

I like this lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads