***Weekly Wildlife Thread - Mar 24 - Mar 30***

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,726
Re: Mine from the week - 9 images

That's a great one of the Red-shouldered Hawk. Lighting and his expression are wonderful.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II +31 more
lehill
Re: Color Version

I prefer the color version too. Do divers run across these whirlpools very often?

-- hide signature --

Lance H

Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II +31 more
busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,760
The Blaumeisen or Blue Tit

Shot a few of the little ones around my feeder today using the a77 and Sony 70-400G.

I think I'll go see what there is to eat!

Hmmm, not bad!

Sharing dinner with friends

Can I have seconds, please?

That was good! I'll be back tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more
lehill
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread - Mar 24 - Mar 30***

That spread-wing shot of the tricolor with the nesting material is terrific. I've never been able to get one of those.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

dennismullen
dennismullen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,019

Hi Lance,

The bait fish school. What you are seeing is the larger Jacks circling them into a bait ball as the hunt. Here is a link to a video I made of the schooling fish last year...

http://www.dennismullen.com/Videos/HD-Videos/3998710_b2whnZ#!i=1752632071&k=x6NSqws

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at www.dennismullen.com.

lehill

Those of you in the northern US and Canada think of Canada Geese as a bunch of vermin/pests. I've spent some time in Ohio and yeah, they can be a pain. But here in the southern half of the US they only come by for a few months and leave again before they become much of a bother (sort of like grandkids :-)).

So I was really surprised to come upon a nesting Canada Goose at the marsh. I actually thought she was sick or injured at first since she didn't walk away as I approached:

Birder report says there's 5 eggs. Looks like we'll have some goslings in a few weeks.

Neither she or the dad (a few dozen yards away) seemed threatened by me and I backed off quickly as soon as I realized she was nesting.

The female Red-winged Blackbird isn't black, isn't red but does have wings:

Female Red-winged Blackbird, nothing like the name.

It's spring and flowers are starting to bloom. Here's a Ceanothus (California Lilac) with sunflowers in the background:

California Lilac

And finally, our famous California Poppies. The yellow color is so intense I have to use the same technique I use for egrets to keep the yellow from blowing out:

California Poppy

Bonus:

Great Egret in-flight

-- hide signature --

Lance H

newvusa
newvusa Regular Member • Posts: 198

dennismullen wrote:

I also have a color version. Which one is better?

Cheers,

Wow! This is spectacular. I like the colored one. Excellent work!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sed Navs

newvusa's gear list:newvusa's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
newvusa
Re: Florida Spring Birding Life

zackiedawg wrote:

Continuing in Florida's wetlands, here are some more recent captures with my A580 and Minolta 300mm F4 APO this month...

Tree swallow doing his missle impression at 30+MPH over the water

Yellow-rumped warbler in the dappled shadows

Mottled duck glistening in the sun

Purple gallinule and duckweed-covered red-eared slider turtle together

Least bittern lurking through the reeds

Closeup look of a tree swallow in flight

Red-winged blackbird male in the reeds against a water backdrop

I've seen great hummingbird shots here - I'll have to say catching them feeding in the wild with 400+mm is very difficult! Here's a ruby-throated hummingbird

The fact that they constantly move from flower to flower, rather than coming to a fixed feeder spot, and that they're so tiny, makes them very hard to follow!

The very pretty painted bunting is another one seen often at feeders, but difficult to find in the wild - they love to sit quietly in deep shadows

Sora coming out into the open

Young purple gallinule

I really like the variety of wildlife in your place. They're beautiful. Love the hummingbird shots. Excellent shots as always!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sed Navs

Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
newvusa
Re: Mine from the week - 9 images

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

All with A-77 and Big Beercan.

Red-tailed Hawk - poor light

Red Fox in the snow

Red Fox with family dinner

Male Cardinal in the shadows

Squirrel - munching

Male Downy Woodpecker on a branch

Red-shoulder Hawk - closeup

Eastern Chipmunk - nose out

Doe in a thicket

Superb shots, Ed. Great timing of the hawk's pose (pic 7). That chipmunk shot is so cute. Funny to think that I went to my usual walk in the woods to look for new birds and the ones I saw were the same that visits my feeders. Good exercise though..lol

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sed Navs

newvusa

Atgard wrote:

I snuck in another trip to the wetlands here in South Florida and got lucky with another "down the hatch" shot.

All were taken with my A37 and my el cheapo $35 Sigma DL 75-300mm (so tack sharpness is sadly not in the cards until I upgrade lenses).

Most were taken at 1/1,250 shutter speed, ISO 400 or 800 (it was late in the day and the light was not super strong). I vacillate between using center point focus or wide focus -- for these I used center. I haven't had much luck with AF-C, so I use AF-S. Whatever I do, I get a lot of sharp backgrounds with blurry birds flying right through the center focus point … ah well, that's why we have large memory cards...

I also did a lot more burst mode shooting than in the past.

Tri-colored heron working on an addition to his nest.

Gotcha!

Down the hatch!

Cattle egret

The big guy -- great blue heron "on the wing"

Great egret coming in for the night

As always, comments/criticisms/tips are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Very nice series. Your bif's are impressive. Well done!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sed Navs

newvusa
Re: The Blaumeisen or Blue Tit

busch wrote:

Shot a few of the little ones around my feeder today using the a77 and Sony 70-400G.

I think I'll go see what there is to eat!

Hmmm, not bad!

Sharing dinner with friends

Can I have seconds, please?

That was good! I'll be back tomorrow.

Such a beauty!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sed Navs

Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,893

Absolutely gorgeous series of this charming bird!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,893

Waders in Poole Harbour.

SAL500F80 on my A57

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekrankis/

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
newvusa

lehill wrote:

Those of you in the northern US and Canada think of Canada Geese as a bunch of vermin/pests. I've spent some time in Ohio and yeah, they can be a pain. But here in the southern half of the US they only come by for a few months and leave again before they become much of a bother (sort of like grandkids :-)).

So I was really surprised to come upon a nesting Canada Goose at the marsh. I actually thought she was sick or injured at first since she didn't walk away as I approached:

Birder report says there's 5 eggs. Looks like we'll have some goslings in a few weeks.

Neither she or the dad (a few dozen yards away) seemed threatened by me and I backed off quickly as soon as I realized she was nesting.

The female Red-winged Blackbird isn't black, isn't red but does have wings:

Female Red-winged Blackbird, nothing like the name.

It's spring and flowers are starting to bloom. Here's a Ceanothus (California Lilac) with sunflowers in the background:

California Lilac

And finally, our famous California Poppies. The yellow color is so intense I have to use the same technique I use for egrets to keep the yellow from blowing out:

California Poppy

Bonus:

Great Egret in-flight

Beautiful series! I really thought that they (Canada Geese) are (in abundance) anywhere in the US. In parks where there are lots of them, it's hard to walk straight because of too many geese poops..lol.The flowers are so beautiful and indeed, spring is here. Can't wait to see the beautiful butterflies pics..soon.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sed Navs

newvusa

Sonyshine wrote:

Waders in Poole Harbour.

SAL500F80 on my A57

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekrankis/

Very nice shots! That lens continues to deliver good image quality. Sony shouldn't have discontinued it.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sed Navs

Kriekira Senior Member • Posts: 2,227
Thanks Y'All! Good workin' (nt)

No text.

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 18,894

Three fine shots there.  I like the ground level perspective.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II

Very colorful Gary.  Nice catch of the Chickadee and Tit together too.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Atgard
Atgard Regular Member • Posts: 432

lehill wrote:

That spread-wing shot of the tricolor with the nesting material is terrific. I've never been able to get one of those.

Thanks!! I really like the tri-colored herons too, and was spending more time following them around. I've learned it definitely helps to follow a bird around for a while and see what it's doing so you can anticipate shots (when it's about to take off, or how it feeds then flips a fish in the air to swallow, etc.). That's also how I got the great blue flying by, I tracked him approaching from a distance and hoped he was coming into his nest.

This is in contrast to my earlier method of trying to look everywhere at once and see something interesting or a bird flying by and try to grab a quick shot of it before it was gone.

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM

These look pretty nice to me.  Good exposures, close to subject an clearly well tracked.  I'm wondering if they could use a touch of contrast and/or clarity, but regardless a nice set.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads