Wide angles with NEX-7

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions
ktveter Regular Member • Posts: 141
Wide angles with NEX-7

I really dont understand why so many dicredit the NEX-7 sel1018 combo. I for one am quite happy with the combo. All but one of the shots below have been pp in lightroom with the new 1018 lense profil.

C&C are as always welcomed.

The Washington Arch

Subway Entrance

Ken

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RezaTravilla
RezaTravilla Regular Member • Posts: 307
Re: Wide angles with NEX-7

great shot!

RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Nikon D300S Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Richard Adrey New Member • Posts: 21

I share your enthusiasm for the SEL1018 and have enjoyed it immensely.

Richard Adrey's gear list:Richard Adrey's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a7 Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 50mm F1.4 +10 more
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

Those shots are precisely why I love super-wides. If I didn't already own the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, I would spring for the Sony equivalent (which weighs about the same)

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +12 more
Lightshow
Lightshow Veteran Member • Posts: 6,395

Cool shots, thanks for posting them, I too really like wide angle lenses, I can't hardly wait to use my CV15 on a FF body.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH +20 more
J Yohan Regular Member • Posts: 146

ktveter wrote:

I really dont understand why so many dicredit the NEX-7 sel1018 combo. I for one am quite happy with the combo. All but one of the shots below have been pp in lightroom with the new 1018 lense profil.

Nice shots!

I've been mulling over the SEL 10-18mm. Still not getting consistent feedback on magenta cast with the 10-18/NEX 7 combo.

J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Jim Funston Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

Nice shots Ken but in all honesty HDR's and B&W would never show the color shift issue some see with the Nex 7 and the 10-18. Additionally, not everyone uses Lightroom. I use 7 other post processing softwares and Lightroom will not run because one of these other softwares is blocking the path of one of the Lightroom directories. I have spent hours with adobe techs trying to get it to run unsuccessfully.

Glad you are enjoying that combo though.

Color shift issues just bother me too much especially on a Sony dedicated lens at that price. I expected more from Sony... So I am waiting for the Zeiss 12mm hoping they found a way around UWA color shift with the 7. If not? ... Well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it ....

seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,229

ktveter wrote:

I really dont understand why so many dicredit the NEX-7 sel1018 combo.

I'm with you. I have 16Mpixel and 24Mpixel NEXes, and IMO it's better on the NEX-7 because it's sharp enough to exploit the extra resolution. Magenta casting doesn't seem to be a problem if you a shoot around the lens's optimal aperture, which I almost always do.

Great images you posted there too by the way.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha a7R +21 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,188

Very nicely done, good eye for a shot and the perspectives are great when this wide.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7 +6 more
alextardif
alextardif Senior Member • Posts: 1,373

seachicken2000 wrote:

ktveter wrote:

I'm with you. I have 16Mpixel and 24Mpixel NEXes, and IMO it's better on the NEX-7 because it's sharp enough to exploit the extra resolution. Magenta casting doesn't seem to be a problem if you a shoot around the lens's optimal aperture, which I almost always do.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

Great shots!

What is considered to be the optimal aperture on this glass?

alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +6 more
Nexographer Regular Member • Posts: 218

alextardif wrote:

seachicken2000 wrote:

ktveter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Norman Parkinson

Great shots!

From my experience testing the lens for a couple of days on my NEX-7, stopping down does not improve significantly on the magenta casting issue.

At focal lenghts of 14mm and longer the the casting becomes less visible, enough so that I would say it's not a problem for practical use. For me that was too much of a compromise, that's why I returned it.

I'm curious to see somebody posting full-res shots of the new SEL 20mm with the UWA-converter which should give a pretty nice 22,5mm equivalent f.l. in a compact package. Might become the best solution for NEX-7 users.

Nexographer's gear list:Nexographer's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7 II Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,229

Nexographer wrote:

alextardif wrote:

From my experience testing the lens for a couple of days on my NEX-7, stopping down does not improve significantly on the magenta casting issue.

Optimal is somewhere between f/5.6 and f/8, I think. I'll go as far as f/11 if there are foreground elements.

Here's one at 10mm (where the magenta casting should be most pronounced), taken at f/7.1. I haven't applied Adobe flat field correction to it, and I don't think it's needed.

Here's one at 10mm f/4:

It also hasn't been corrected and doesn't need it IMO.

I've taken 500 images so far with this lens. 10% are at f/4, 10% are at f/11 and f/13, and 80% are at the lens's optimal aperture. Of the 10% taken at f/4 half are just test images to see how the lens behaved at f/4, and there are 7 that I would want to apply correction to. These mostly contain blue sky and could/should have been taken at optimal aperture.

The image below is typical, corrected using a brush and a local adjustment in Lightroom.

The images that did actually need f/4 were either night-time (this lens can be hand-held very effectively at night), or indoors and the casting wasn't visible to me in any of these images.

-- hide signature --

Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha a7R +21 more
BennyKingston Regular Member • Posts: 166

Those are very nice dramatic shots. I seriously want to get this lens, but think I am going to wait to see if the 7N corrects the magenta issue.

Are any of you with the 10-18 anticipating the 7N this spring, and would you move to it?

OP ktveter Regular Member • Posts: 141

Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad you liked them too.

I really havent had any problems with magenta cast even though I have used this lense mostly wide open and at 10mm, I might have just been lucky though. But at least for us that use lightroom there is a new lense profile out that takes care of distortion and chromatic aberrations.

BennyKingston wrote:

Those are very nice dramatic shots. I seriously want to get this lens, but think I am going to wait to see if the 7N corrects the magenta issue.

Are any of you with the 10-18 anticipating the 7N this spring, and would you move to it?

I will most likely consider the 7n if its priced resonably and I can sell my 7 for a decent price. Mostly because I hope for improvements on the ISO side.

Also very excited to see how the new 12mm zeiss will perform given how happy Im with the 24mm.

Ken

Jim Funston Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

If I have to buy a new camera(7n) so I can buy a Sony UWA (11-18) that works without issues (est combined price would be over $2000 usd for both or more) then I may just bail on my whole NEX system and look at other options. For another $700 I could get a a99 body and use my 11-16 Tokina. For me it is all becoming a matter of economics. I run 3 systems currently. I like the NEX system and was a early adopter of the original NEX 5 but this performance issue with my 7 and the UWA Sony has really festered under my skin to the point it won't take much to make me a two system NEX-less photographer. Two of my systems are the A-mount and E mount so a $700 price difference for a a99 vs a new NEX body and UWA makes one think is small really worth it.

So my answer is no I will not buy a 7n so I can buy and use a Sony UWA.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads