Red alert... red alert!

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Red alert... red alert!

These are 16MP JPEG cropped and resized to 80%. A surprise visit of a Cardinal in downtown Boston. About 25-30 ft away. More to come.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
LORFORBES Regular Member • Posts: 297
Re: Red alert... red alert!

This is a beautiful set.  The 50 seems to be a winner.

LORFORBES's gear list:LORFORBES's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
Gary N W Forum Pro • Posts: 10,857
Re: Red alert... red alert! Hi Joms

Lovely bird series.  Really a nice series to view.  And fun to view.  Thanks for making me smile.

Best Wishes to You and Your Family,

Gary N W  SFO

Grobb
Grobb Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

Very nice composition, but there does not seem to be any fine detail, there is a LOT of noise, and feathers are very blurry and smeared for ISO100 images. Did you take them hand held or was the camera on a tripod? Did you do any PPing or sharpening to these images?

OP jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592

tron555 wrote:

Very nice composition, but there does not seem to be any fine detail, there is a LOT of noise, and feathers are very blurry and smeared for ISO100 images. Did you take them hand held or was the camera on a tripod? Did you do any PPing or sharpening to these images?

These are basically SOOC JPEG, cropped and resized with sharpening. All handheld shots.

I have not PP the RAF yet so more headroom for IQ.

-=[ Joms ]=-

LORFORBES wrote:

This is a beautiful set. The 50 seems to be a winner.

Thanks. You bet it is.

-=[ Joms ]=-

KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 6,883

Nice series, lots of detail in 3 of them and looks like little camera motion in others, still great captures.

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more

KJaay wrote:

Nice series, lots of detail in 3 of them and looks like little camera motion in others, still great captures.

Not camera motion but bird and branches coz this bird is very skittish and loves to move his head and tail. I think these are pretty good considering the distance and not to mention first outing with this camera. Still learning to adjust with this camera coz at some point I thought I am holding my HS30. Thanks!

-=[ Joms ]=-

Gary N W wrote:

Lovely bird series. Really a nice series to view. And fun to view. Thanks for making me smile.

Best Wishes to You and Your Family,

Gary N W SFO

Thanks a lot Gary. Just got sunshine between cloudy hours of the day so I got the opportunity to shoot out with this cam. I always appreciate your comment my friend. Regards to you and to Betty

-=[ Joms ]=-

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

Red Alert for sure!

I have to say these look fantastic, and only your first few shots, so they will get better for sure!

Handheld is even more impressive at 1000mm, if you had used a Monopod or Tripod, could have been even better (I would definitely have to..lol..) colors bright and well saturated…bokeh clean and very smooth, really nice separation of subject…details are there as well…looks like back focus slightly on first shot otherwise perfect…second good accurate AF on head/eyes, but look at minute details in the rear most wing feathers, really nice to see...

Surprisingly very clean shots as well…well done Joms...

Joms it would be very interested to say the least to see you shoot some of these with Stabilisation turned off…as steady as you are, sometimes the stabilization can cause slight softness in itself, the EM5 does this and I have found with stabilization off the shots are sharper...

These look like the slight softness was from the stabilizer to me, not the lens...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

LTZ470

Joms, everyone would pay i am sure to have your detailed camera settings…I am going to pass the hat now…lol...

Another thing that is amazing about these shots, they are almost 4MB…or 4MB…thats showing that the color depth.detail is deep and not shallow for sure...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 6,883

When you get it dialed in, I hope you share the knowledge!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
LTZ470

KJaay wrote:

Looks like the IS to me KJ...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470

Joms don't shoot me, but i ran this through LR4 and added slight Clarity, Sharpness, NR and Iris Enhance…still not perfect but it shows there is details to be had...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,767
I like it!

LTZ470 wrote:

Joms don't shoot me, but i ran this through LR4 and added slight Clarity, Sharpness, NR and Iris Enhance…still not perfect but it shows there is details to be had...

I'm sure Joms wont mind.

This looks very good.  Finally, we are getting somewhere with the HS50.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more

I like the last 2, Joms.  Nice job with the new HS50.

Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744

jcmarfilph wrote:

These are 16MP JPEG cropped and resized to 80%. A surprise visit of a Cardinal in downtown Boston. About 25-30 ft away. More to come.

-=[ Joms ]=-

For your bird photography why don't you go the Nikon route and be done with it?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51136927?image=0

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more

Wellington100 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

-=[ Joms ]=-

For your bird photography why don't you go the Nikon route and be done with it?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51136927?image=0

Its a great shot and I'd love to get a 400+ lens for my D5200, but cost and weight are the 2 factors which makes the HS50 a resonable alternative for birds.

LTZ470 wrote:

Red Alert for sure!

I have to say these look fantastic, and only your first few shots, so they will get better for sure!

I have to agree on that.  

Handheld is even more impressive at 1000mm, if you had used a Monopod or Tripod, could have been even better (I would definitely have to..lol..) colors bright and well saturated…bokeh clean and very smooth, really nice separation of subject…details are there as well…looks like back focus slightly on first shot otherwise perfect…second good accurate AF on head/eyes, but look at minute details in the rear most wing feathers, really nice to see...

I would attribute the softness on some part to sudden movement of the bird and DOF.

Surprisingly very clean shots as well…well done Joms...

Am I dreaming? Lol from Cole? My immortal friend in DPR lol. Seriously, I appreciate your comment Cole.

Joms it would be very interested to say the least to see you shoot some of these with Stabilisation turned off…as steady as you are, sometimes the stabilization can cause slight softness in itself, the EM5 does this and I have found with stabilization off the shots are sharper...

I thought of doing that next time. I couldn't pass on this opportunity because of the rarity of cardinal here in Boston and even more at the heart of downtown.

These look like the slight softness was from the stabilizer to me, not the lens...

We will see Cole. I haven't done extensive testing yet.

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

LTZ470 wrote:

Joms, everyone would pay i am sure to have your detailed camera settings…I am going to pass the hat now…lol...

Another thing that is amazing about these shots, they are almost 4MB…or 4MB…thats showing that the color depth.detail is deep and not shallow for sure...

Nothing has changed from my HS30 settings, just the location and some missing buttons.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads