Storage Solution?

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
six34sigma
six34sigma Senior Member • Posts: 2,148
Storage Solution?

Have a mid 2009 Mac Book Pro with a 500 GB hard drive. The NEF files are 30 mb with the D7100 instead of 12 mb with the D90 which used to be my go to camera. Think its time to move my picture library off my MBP. Thinking of a mirrored NAS. Have an apple router, an air port express base station. Looking for a little help in selecting the right storage product to i) off load pictures from SDHC cards and edit ii) ensure redundancy, mirroring for example sounds good.
Thanks for your help.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D90 +9 more
Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
webfrasse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,916
Re: Storage Solution?

six34sigma wrote:

Have a mid 2009 Mac Book Pro with a 500 GB hard drive. The NEF files are 30 mb with the D7100 instead of 12 mb with the D90 which used to be my go to camera. Think its time to move my picture library off my MBP. Thinking of a mirrored NAS. Have an apple router, an air port express base station. Looking for a little help in selecting the right storage product to i) off load pictures from SDHC cards and edit ii) ensure redundancy, mirroring for example sounds good.
Thanks for your help.

Mirroring isn't redundancy. It protects against hardware failure. If you delete the files they are gone from both drives. If you make an error, the error is on both drives.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

six34sigma
OP six34sigma Senior Member • Posts: 2,148

Quite true. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D90 +9 more

six34sigma wrote:

Quite true. Thanks.

Stay away from NAS drives. It's too slow for accessing your images. They are ok for backups and streaming music and maybe movies. Don't expect to be able to work on images on them.

You can easily upgrade your laptops internal drive to 1TB. Use external drives for backups. You can also replace the DVD in the laptop with a second hard drive and have the DVD on a USB cable externally. How often do you use the DVD anyway? I don't and I have been using dual hard drives for years in my MacBook Pros.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Mark K W Senior Member • Posts: 1,715

six34sigma wrote:

Thanks for your help.

I have 2009MBP as my main image-processing computer. I use LR4 and CS5, my RAWs are 24MP (= also 24MB). Processed psds can be around 500MB, even up to 1GB.

I keep all my images on an RAID5 8GB NAS over GigE with a GigE switch. It's a workable solution but not fast. I back-up that primary NAS to two RAID5 4GB NAS (in essence you can say this is another 8GB RAID5 NAS) also over the GigE. So I have RAID5 on each NAS as protection against disk failure within the NAS units, and then the 2nd copy on the other NAS as a backup.

I use my NAS also as central home storage (music, videos, documents, as well as images) and access the media and image files from the MBP, a Windows laptop, a Sony TV, and my iPhone.

A NAS is only really of benefit if you do have multiple computers and want to access the files from those multiple devices. There is no real sense to using a NAS as storage if you have only one computer, as access-speed even when using GigE is slow relative to your USB2.

A NAS over 100Base-T ethernet or WLAN is not really workable for repeated access to image files as per your NEFs. You need to have wired GigE connectivity. Means I would really only recommend NAS if you really do want the multiple computer access and you intend to set it up and use it as part of a general home-network.

Just to repeat - a single RAIDed NAS in itself is not back-up. RAID does not prevent against accidental delete or over-write by you. You need a separate physical unit for your backup.

If you have only the MBP and your routers are only 100Base-T and you do not fancy upgrading your internal drive, then normal USB external drives are your most practical solution. There's plenty of choice of makers and capacities for that.

-- hide signature --
six34sigma

Thanks for the idea in updating my internal drives. Certainly possible with my MBP and have considered it before. The solution will be cheaper than a NAS as well. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma

I keep all my images on an RAID5 8GB NAS over GigE with a GigE switch. It's a workable solution but not fast. I back-up that primary NAS to two RAID5 4GB NAS (in essence you can say this is another 8GB RAID5 NAS) also over the GigE. So I have RAID5 on each NAS as protection against disk failure within the NAS units, and then the 2nd copy on the other NAS as a backup.

A NAS is only really of benefit if you do have multiple computers and want to access the files from those multiple devices. There is no real sense to using a NAS as storage if you have only one computer, as access-speed even when using GigE is slow relative to your USB2.

If you have only the MBP and your routers are only 100Base-T and you do not fancy upgrading your internal drive, then normal USB external drives are your most practical solution. There's plenty of choice of makers and capacities for that.

Thanks for heads up on the speed of the NAS. We have 4 computers at home and it would be a great place to back up all of them. I cant get my wife to back up her Mac Book Air consistently. That was part of my thinking regarding the NAS. But with the speed issue am not going to use the NAS for editing photo's. Two of you have pointed this out and I appreciate that. Use the NAS for time machine backup's. Solution right now as I envisage is:

Replace HDD in MBP with 1 TB, put in a second drive in place of CD. - Use the NAS for time machine backups and a USB drive for carbon copy cloner.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,207

six34sigma wrote:

Replace HDD in MBP with 1 TB, put in a second drive in place of CD. - Use the NAS for time machine backups and a USB drive for carbon copy cloner.

I agree with everything except the USB drive for Carbon Copy Cloner. Did you say you have a 2009 MacBook Pro? I don't think it has USB 3. That means it has USB 2. That's slow. I clone over FireWire 800 on my MacBook Pro or eSATA on my Mac Pro, because both finish a total disk clone much faster than USB 2. With the size of today's drives, a full drive clone can take hours...with USB 2, it takes a few more hours.

USB 3 on today's MacBook Pros is a different story, faster than anything that's come before and can be just as fast as Thunderbolt for most uses.

graybalanced wrote:

six34sigma wrote:

I agree with everything except the USB drive for Carbon Copy Cloner. Did you say you have a 2009 MacBook Pro? I don't think it has USB 3. That means it has USB 2. That's slow. I clone over FireWire 800 on my MacBook Pro or eSATA on my Mac Pro, because both finish a total disk clone much faster than USB 2. With the size of today's drives, a full drive clone can take hours...with USB 2, it takes a few more hours.

USB 3 on today's MacBook Pros is a different story, faster than anything that's come before and can be just as fast as Thunderbolt for most uses.

I've been running CCC to clone my 2TB iMac (upgraded and 5 years old by now) over USB 2 for years. Sure, the first clone job will take a day maybe but what's the problem? I can still work on the system. Incremental updates are done nightly...I sleep and CCC works. These updates usually takes 30-45 minutes. Sometimes less sometimes more...I'm still sleeping. I really don't see the issue. Maybe you're watching the backup job:-) That is boring, I agree.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Peter Berglund Regular Member • Posts: 103

Here is our backup strategy, which works well for us.
Me, my wife and our daughter have MPB, MBA and MB, respectively. We also have. 2008 Mac Mini hooked up to our television set. We have an external drive connected through FW800 (Drobo). We use File Sharing to share the Drive on our LAN. Everyone backs up once per day to this drive using TimeMachine. All I need to do is remind everyone not to close the lid on their computers when they go to sleep. The backups happen during the night and then their computers go back to sleep.

We also use the Mac mini for movies, photo storage and Netflix. An extra bonus is that we have the email app running too, so it sorts incoming junk mail. That means that the inboxes on our iPhones don't fill up with junk.

Peter Berglund's gear list:Peter Berglund's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM

Peter Berglund wrote:

Here is our backup strategy, which works well for us.
Me, my wife and our daughter have MPB, MBA and MB, respectively. We also have. 2008 Mac Mini hooked up to our television set. We have an external drive connected through FW800 (Drobo). We use File Sharing to share the Drive on our LAN. Everyone backs up once per day to this drive using TimeMachine. All I need to do is remind everyone not to close the lid on their computers when they go to sleep. The backups happen during the night and then their computers go back to sleep.

We also use the Mac mini for movies, photo storage and Netflix. An extra bonus is that we have the email app running too, so it sorts incoming junk mail. That means that the inboxes on our iPhones don't fill up with junk.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37991/nosleep

Question, what happens when the house burns down or there is a burglary?

-- hide signature --

Mikael

roonsmits Junior Member • Posts: 37
slow? not always Re: Storage Solution?

There are plenty of NAS solutions that offer >100MB/sec data transfer speeds. This is more than adequate for even 24Mpix files.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

I'm using a 7 disc Thecus 7700Pro and that delivers AFP speed 115MB/sec on a 3drive raid5 config, CIFS delivers 60MB/sec due to crappy OSC CIFS implementation.

cheers,

Ron

-- hide signature --

It's not what you're looking at, but it's what you're seeing.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,207

webfrasse wrote:

I've been running CCC to clone my 2TB iMac (upgraded and 5 years old by now) over USB 2 for years. Sure, the first clone job will take a day maybe but what's the problem? I can still work on the system. Incremental updates are done nightly...I sleep and CCC works. These updates usually takes 30-45 minutes. Sometimes less sometimes more...I'm still sleeping. I really don't see the issue. Maybe you're watching the backup job:-) That is boring, I agree.

I guess it's just personal preference, I prefer to have the backup finish so I can disconnect the drive completely and put it away in the safe. Shortening the backup time reduces the (admittedly low) chance that something might take out both the working drive and the backup while they're both hooked up. But I'm not going to say it's the One True Way.

Another reason is that if it's a recovery situation I don't want to wait any longer than necessary to get a replacement drive into service. A day's delay vs a couple hours means a lot for a business.

graybalanced wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

I guess it's just personal preference, I prefer to have the backup finish so I can disconnect the drive completely and put it away in the safe. Shortening the backup time reduces the (admittedly low) chance that something might take out both the working drive and the backup while they're both hooked up. But I'm not going to say it's the One True Way.

CCC, ejects the drive after the backup so it's not up and running. Sure I could also disconnect it in the morning and put it in the safe. Not a big deal. The thing is that the computer does the job when I'm not there.

Another reason is that if it's a recovery situation I don't want to wait any longer than necessary to get a replacement drive into service. A day's delay vs a couple hours means a lot for a business.

The thing with a clone drive is that you can boot from it and continue working without any delay. No need to restore. Get a new drive, make it the new backup and continue working.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

RichCT Junior Member • Posts: 30

Look at Synology --  many different solutions.  I have a DS-1010+ thats never let me down

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads